News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How did the Jets loss Sunday rate among NYG's worst regular season games?

Started by MightyGiants, October 31, 2023, 09:08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

what games were worse than the game Sunday against the Jets?

I am taking "the fumble" off the table and the DeSean Jackson returns a punt for a TD and an Eagles victory off the table.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

GordonGekko80

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 31, 2023, 09:08:55 AMwhat games were worse than the game Sunday against the Jets?

I am taking "the fumble" off the table and the DeSean Jackson returns a punt for a TD and an Eagles victory off the table.

Worse in terms of quality? None.

Worse in terms of being painful? Definitely the one you mentioned above.

Giant Jim

1983 20-20 tie with the St Louis Cardinals. At night. Most boring game ever.

PSUBeirut

My wife was gone for the weekend and when she got back yesterday she had to listen to me describe the brutality of that game on Sunday....she was very sweet and pretended to care.  =))

But what I told her is I've been a fan since 1985 and obviously have seen some brutal losses, but I honestly can't remember one the bad...just the sequence of events of the entire game, ending the way it did...the heroism of the defense and Saquon squandered away, effectively ending any hopes of the season turning around.  BRUTAL!

TDToomer

2003 has two just as bad.

The Matt Bryant failed squib kick that gave Dallas the ball at the 40 with 11 seconds. Quincy Carter throws 2 long pass to the sideline. Dallas kicks a game tieing FG with no time left sending the game to OT. Dallas then won in OT. If Fassel had just told Bryant to kick it deep for a touch back the Giants most likely would have won.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200309150nyg.htm

In another low scoring game vs the Eagles with the Giants doing everything they can to run the clock out with a 10-7 lead Fassel has Matt Allen punt the ball directly to Bryant Westbrook instead of out of bounds. Westbrook takes it 84 yards for TD. Giants get the ball back with 1:11 to go but run out of time.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200310190nyg.htm

These 2 loses sent the Giants to 2-4 and pretty much tanked the season finishing 4-12.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Gmo11

Last Sunday was one of the worst games the NFL has ever seen let alone the Giants.  Can you imagine being a fan of any other team that happens to be in the local area and forced to watch that slop of a game?  If there are TVs in hell, that's the game they're showing on a loop.

But.  As far as back breaking losses, given the situation of the team, this one didn't hit as hard.  This team isn't any good.  In fact, winning that game might have tricked them into thinking they should try and make a run for the playoffs rather than sell off any tradeable pieces they have.  In a way the loss is better for them than a win would have been.

If this loss had happened during a competitive season, meaning they miss a kick and the Jets make two plays to tie it and win in OT when the game should have been over, it would probably rank up there with one of those Eagles games.  But since it was during this miserable season... kinda takes the sting out of it.

kingm56

Meh...unlike the Jackson debacle, the Giants weren't playing for anything yesterday.  In fact, the loss could be the impetuses for a new trajectory that breaks the last 10-years of losing offense/football. 

Quick Kick

2002 playoff loss to SF when they had a big lead and blew it.  Had trouble with long snaps all year and on the final play they tried for a game winning FG which turned out to be a bad snap and the kicker threw it downfield and pass interference was not called as the receiver got mugged. I realize it was not a regular season game but man that one hurt.

LennG

My worst loss ever was the Flipper Anderson loss that eliminated the Giants in the playoffs. We were the better team and had a legit shot at the Superbowl. It still pains me to this day.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

kartanoman

So, just to be clear, there are painful losses, such as the ones which mean something that the Giants might be winning but end up losing in shocking style (e.g. 1989 Divisional Playoff vs. Rams, 1988 Week #2 vs. 49ers, 1988 Week #16 vs. Jets). Then, you have "painful losses," like going to the dentist to have a root canal without novacaine. Last weekend's game falls under that category. There haven't been too many, thank goodness, but here are some I can remember that were pretty bad:

1977 Week #14: Chicago Bears vs. Giants - the icy slushfest to close the season, the Bears needed to win to get in the playoffs and Walter Payton was within reach of Jim Brown's all time season rushing record. The Giants' D buried Walter who never got on track. Patterson Plank Joe zipped the ball all day to his receivers who dropped nearly everything, while Csonka ran like a bull to a 100 yard game. A 9-9 OT game went down to the final seconds before the Bears' Bob Thomas kicked the winner to send Chicago to the post-season, 12-9.

1983 Week #14: St. Louis Cardinals vs. Giants - a dreary, dismal day in the rematch following the infamous tie between the team's on Monday night. Scott Brunner's last career start for the Giants was ugly as he threw four (4) interceptions and barely threw for 100 yards on 35 attempts. The Giants started the game with two FGs from the Shiekh for a tenuous 6-0 before Neil Lomax found Roy Green for the winning score before the end of the first half. The game stayed 7-6 Cards until midway in the 4th quarter before the Cards' kicker, Neil O'Donoghue chipped in the final points to mercifully put the game away, 10-6.

1987 Week #6 (Game #5): Giants at Buffalo Bills - this is my vote for the ugliest Giant game of all time. Yes, even worse than last week's Jets' debacle. The strike was going to end, and the regular players would be back the following week, but one final round with the replacement players loomed. It would be two of the worst replacement teams put together, the Giants and Bills, with the champion Giants 0-4 and desperate for a win. So desperate, in fact, that Jeff Rutledge, Adrian White, and LT all crossed the picket line to play in the game to try and get the Giants their first win. It would be trying times for LT who had scabs grabbing his ankles, taking cheap shots at him and doing whatever they could to stop him. Still, he managed a pair of sacks. Rutledge couldn't do anything, except throw two picks. But the Bills were the ones with real turnover problems. Their QB, Brian McClure, was worse in throwing three picks, the Bills lost four fumbles for a total of seven turnovers. In spite all of this, the game remained 0-0 halfway into the 4th quarter. Finally, the Giants scored when George "Bend it like Beckham" Benyola squeezed his first kick through the uprights for the first points on the board. Meanwhile, Bills' kicker Todd Schlopy was having all kinds of problems kicking straight in the Western New York State winds. Yet, he tied the game with less than 2:00 left in regulation. So, Rutledge, with all his experience in the two-minute drill, masterfully marches the Giants into FG position with only seconds left on the clock. Out comes Benyola who then proceeds to, you guessed it, bend it like that famous international futbol star. So, it's off to overtime and a comedy of field goal kicking bufoonery between Benyola and Schlopy. But somehow, some way, the Bills kicker finds himself attempting a FG in the final seconds of overtime and, as a blind squirrel finds the acorn, so too does Schlopy find a path, straight and true, between the uprights, as the crowd of 15,000 goes insane that their beleaguered kicker had just beaten the reigning champions. Thus, the completion of the the worst of the absolute worst game in Giants' history as the once-proud champions are slapped from the penthouse back down to the outhouse at 0-5.

Try and beat that one.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

B1GBLUE

the cowboys game week 1 hurt way more than this. as uncompetitive as sundays game was, we were competitive in it lol. week 1 was an all time undressing.

TDToomer

Quote from: kartanoman on November 02, 2023, 05:10:59 PM1987 Week #6 (Game #5): Giants at Buffalo Bills - this is my vote for the ugliest Giant game of all time. Yes, even worse than last week's Jets' debacle. The strike was going to end, and the regular players would be back the following week, but one final round with the replacement players loomed. It would be two of the worst replacement teams put together, the Giants and Bills, with the champion Giants 0-4 and desperate for a win. So desperate, in fact, that Jeff Rutledge, Adrian White, and LT all crossed the picket line to play in the game to try and get the Giants their first win. It would be trying times for LT who had scabs grabbing his ankles, taking cheap shots at him and doing whatever they could to stop him. Still, he managed a pair of sacks. Rutledge couldn't do anything, except throw two picks. But the Bills were the ones with real turnover problems. Their QB, Brian McClure, was worse in throwing three picks, the Bills lost four fumbles for a total of seven turnovers. In spite all of this, the game remained 0-0 halfway into the 4th quarter. Finally, the Giants scored when George "Bend it like Beckham" Benyola squeezed his first kick through the uprights for the first points on the board. Meanwhile, Bills' kicker Todd Schlopy was having all kinds of problems kicking straight in the Western New York State winds. Yet, he tied the game with less than 2:00 left in regulation. So, Rutledge, with all his experience in the two-minute drill, masterfully marches the Giants into FG position with only seconds left on the clock. Out comes Benyola who then proceeds to, you guessed it, bend it like that famous international futbol star. So, it's off to overtime and a comedy of field goal kicking bufoonery between Benyola and Schlopy. But somehow, some way, the Bills kicker finds himself attempting a FG in the final seconds of overtime and, as a blind squirrel finds the acorn, so too does Schlopy find a path, straight and true, between the uprights, as the crowd of 15,000 goes insane that their beleaguered kicker had just beaten the reigning champions. Thus, the completion of the the worst of the absolute worst game in Giants' history as the once-proud champions are slapped from the penthouse back down to the outhouse at 0-5.

Try and beat that one.

Peace!

You really can't except that no one watched it. It was all replacement players. I counts in the record book only.

I'll add another.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200611260oti.htm

Giants vs Titan 11/26/06. The Giants blew a 21-0 lead and gave up 24 points in the 4th quarter. This was the game where Kiwanuka had Vince Young in his grasp for a sack and when the ref didn't blow the whistle he was afraid he would get a roughing penalty and let go only to watch Young throw a long pass to keep a drive alive. I nearly cried after the game.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs