News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT - ESPN report: disturbing allegations about Cardinals' owner Michael Bidwill

Started by DaveBrown74, November 01, 2023, 07:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

This article is a bit on the long side but it's worth reading, as it is comprehensive and full of specific details about very poor behavior on the part of Cardinals' owner Michael Bidwill. These allegations sound pretty bad, and it's people speaking on the record with their identities out in the open. This sounds like more than just one or two short tempered blowups. This feels like it has a chance to be a Dan Snyder type situation. I actually had no idea about any of this until this evening. If there were reports about this guy I missed them.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38734726/arizona-cardinals-michael-bidwill-workplace-culture

uconnjack8

Owner sounds like a classic spoiled brat that grew up rich and expects everything to be his way. 

Sounds like a grade A douche.

MightyGiants

I guess I am getting old.  In my early days of working, this sort of behavior wouldn't even move the needle.   Now some 3 decades or so later it's a major scandle
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 02, 2023, 08:58:02 AMI guess I am getting old.  In my early days of working, this sort of behavior wouldn't even move the needle.   Now some 3 decades or so later it's a major scandle
Rich,

which behavior are you talking about specifically?  I agree the temper tantrums 15 to 20 years ago would not have been a blip on the radar.  Telling women they couldn't use certain facilities?  Not sure that wouldn't have ruffled feathers even then. 

I would add that in terms of NFL scandal amongst owners, not sure any will care here.  I didn't quite finish the article, but in the part I read I didn't see any allegations of hiding money from other owners.  That's the type of stuff that would raise things to Snyder's level. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: uconnjack8 on November 02, 2023, 09:06:24 AMRich,

which behavior are you talking about specifically?  I agree the temper tantrums 15 to 20 years ago would not have been a blip on the radar.  Telling women they couldn't use certain facilities?  Not sure that wouldn't have ruffled feathers even then. 

Matt,

I am old enough to remember when sexual harassment became a true concept in the workplace.  There was a time when trying to isolate players (who may not conduct themselves appropriately around women) from female employees seemed like a reasonable accommodation.  Now, it would be seen as discriminatory against women, but not always
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Two separate issues here. An abusive unprofessional owner who lacks people skills and uses his power to satisfy his ego... and stupid business decisions creating division within the organization and a toxic work environment.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on November 02, 2023, 08:01:41 AMOwner sounds like a classic spoiled brat that grew up rich and expects everything to be his way. 

Sounds like a grade A douche.

Well put. That was my first thought as well, more or less.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 02, 2023, 08:58:02 AMI guess I am getting old.  In my early days of working, this sort of behavior wouldn't even move the needle.  Now some 3 decades or so later it's a major scandle

Funny, I had the same thought. When I first started in my industry, tirades by senior people were completely normal, acceptable, and just part of the routine. Completely different now.

With that said, "racially charged" is a horse of a different color (no pun intended). That was never ok. At least not in my lifetime.

DaveBrown74

Based on what you have read so far (I'm asking everyone in the thread), do you think Bidwill will face an existential crisis now as the owner of this franchise? Ie, could he eventually be forced to sell?

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 02, 2023, 10:27:45 AMFunny, I had the same thought. When I first started in my industry, tirades by senior people were completely normal, acceptable, and just part of the routine. Completely different now.

With that said, "racially charged" is a horse of a different color (no pun intended). That was never ok. At least not in my lifetime.

To me, "racially charged," without more context or specifics of what was said, doesn't mean much to me.  It's such a vague term that they could have attributed the tirade to race (with nothing said that was specifically racist or biased), or it could be that he made inappropriate racial references.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 02, 2023, 11:05:49 AMTo me, "racially charged," without more context or specifics of what was said, doesn't mean much to me.  It's such a vague term that they could have attributed the tirade to race (with nothing said that was specifically racist or biased), or it could be that he made inappropriate racial references.

It definitely needs more explanation and specifics, but if more people come out with that sort of accusation, you're usually guilty until proven innocent with that sort of thing.

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 02, 2023, 10:29:30 AMBased on what you have read so far (I'm asking everyone in the thread), do you think Bidwill will face an existential crisis now as the owner of this franchise? Ie, could he eventually be forced to sell?

Based purely on the information in the article, I'll say no.

The NFL have moved to oust "bad" owners with the guy in Carolina and then finally getting shot of Synder.

They'll want this to just disappear. He'll go on further courses about how to be a human being and this will be swept under the carpet. Forcing a 3rd owner in 5-6 years to sell a team is a look the NFL will want to avoid.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on November 02, 2023, 04:33:36 PMBased purely on the information in the article, I'll say no.

The NFL have moved to oust "bad" owners with the guy in Carolina and then finally getting shot of Synder.

They'll want this to just disappear. He'll go on further courses about how to be a human being and this will be swept under the carpet. Forcing a 3rd owner in 5-6 years to sell a team is a look the NFL will want to avoid.

Well articulated Ed, and I think I'm in your camp. As you touch on early in your post though, there may be more info out there we don't know about. In fact, I think it's highly likely that that's the case. So the situation feels pretty fluid at this point, but I would agree that the base case (with the information we have) is that he'll get through this. Good point about the NFL not wanting to do deal with another one of these. I agree with that.

uconnjack8

I don't think it rises to the level of being ousted.  I feel like there are a few specific things that will lead to that and none of what is in that article gets to that level.

1)  Messing with accounting to pay less into the shares revenue pot.
2) Convictions of some crimes (not all).
3) Any action that causes large public outcry and a drop in viewership.  This could be tied to #2.

Without more details, I dont see how what I read would cause the owners to bat an eye. 

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on November 02, 2023, 05:37:10 PMI don't think it rises to the level of being ousted.  I feel like there are a few specific things that will lead to that and none of what is in that article gets to that level.

1)  Messing with accounting to pay less into the shares revenue pot.
2) Convictions of some crimes (not all).
3) Any action that causes large public outcry and a drop in viewership.  This could be tied to #2.

Without more details, I dont see how what I read would cause the owners to bat an eye. 

I know it's a different league and hence not apples to apples, but the current era of sensitivity to workplace culture is the same, and ultimately it is current societal norms that drive these things, not so much idiosyncratic league-specific rules. I would point to Robert Sarver of the Phoneix Suns. He was ousted for a not dissimilar set of circumstances. Maybe the specifics in his case were worse, but we don't know all the specifics yet. He was essentially terminated as an owner for being an a-hole boss. Racial stuff was definitely in the accusations, but that appears to be the case here too. We'll have to just see how it unfolds. Again, gun to my head right now, I think Bidwill probably slithers through this, but I don't think it's a lock at all. This has a real chance of getting worse, and my original question was whether he would eventually be forced to sell (not immediately).