News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How do you feel about the Giants winning games for the rest of the season

Started by MightyGiants, November 02, 2023, 09:43:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

In light of the current record how do you feel about winning or losing for he rest of the season

bamagiantfan

I don't follow the team to get to the draft. I follow the team to get to the playoffs. The last time they won the Superbowl they got off to a hot start and then lost 5 or their next 6. The fans were miserable and pessimistic and winning the last two games to make it to the playoffs seemed unlikely.......but they did.

Then they won the next one,
.....and the next one.
.....and the next one
.....and before you knew it they were raising the trophy.

It is probably my favorite season as a Giant fan. Perseverance and effort triumphed over talent as the Giants won the Superbowl with the worst rushing Offense in the league, an accomplishment I feel certain will never be repeated.

Enjoy the ride, even the detours. You never know where you will wind up.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

Philosophers

Even in a lost season, winning in 2nd half of season can bring positive momentum, player combos, etc into the next season which is really good.  That said, Giants have enormous holes in talent which winning games can hide.  If they can get top talent to add to, I think that matters now.

katkavage

Quote from: Philosophers on November 02, 2023, 03:55:05 PMEven in a lost season, winning in 2nd half of season can bring positive momentum, player combos, etc into the next season which is really good.  That said, Giants have enormous holes in talent which winning games can hide.  If they can get top talent to add to, I think that matters now.
No disrespect, Philo but that's total BS. What you do at the end of a lost season has absolutely no bearing on the next season. I want the high draft picks, but also want them to win games. In reality they need to rebuild the team. Winning 6-7 games mostly against bad competition accomplishes nothing in the long run.

Philosophers

Quote from: katkavage on November 02, 2023, 04:41:20 PMNo disrespect, Philo but that's total BS. What you do at the end of a lost season has absolutely no bearing on the next season. I want the high draft picks, but also want them to win games. In reality they need to rebuild the team. Winning 6-7 games mostly against bad competition accomplishes nothing in the long run.

It's called development.  Andrew Thomas started off badly in second year then began coming on so by end of season was playing better and that carried over into 3rd season.  An OL can start to gel toward end of one season and now they become a unit to function better in the next season.  Same with a QB.  Maybe they just "get it" by end of season and now have confidence plus better mental game to go into the next season.

Teams do as well.

The Giants end of season will not be against bad competition.  In their last 9 games, they play the Eagles twice, the Los Angeles Rams, Dallas Cowboys plus some mediocre and some bad.  If they beat some of those good teams and look damn good doing it plus win some games against mediocre and bad teams, that will be progress and development.  That should help.

Also, ask yourself this question.  Giants lacked talent and in one year had two high draft picks in Thibs and Neal.  How'd they do the next year?  Yes you can say 9-7 but as we all saw, it was a house of cards with so many lucky bounces, etc., that it was a mirage.

DaveBrown74

I think people are going to feel how they feel on this subject and there will be varying opinions. It's kind of a personal thing at the end of the day, and nobody here is going to change how someone who disagrees feels. And it really shouldn't matter that much either. It's just differences of opinion.

Dgoodmantrublu

I'm sure the Jets wish they didn't win that game that caused them to lose out on Trevor Lawrence. In 1980 they won a meaningless game and we got Lawrence Taylor instead of them. Meaningless wins in a lost season accomplish nothing.

kartanoman

If I have to invest my time to watch or hope for my team to lose, I'd rather turn off the set altogether and invest that time in my family which, at the very least, is time well invested.

No. The Giants will continue to struggle the rest of the way. But I want to see them fight hard against teams which take them for granted. Those are the games I want to see them smack their opponent around and send them a message. If it is Dallas or Philly, even more so.

Do you really want a repeat of the second half of 2021? Even as bad as that was, I would continue to stand by their side. Because when you've been through the hard times, you realize how extra special the good times really are. So good, in fact, that it's worth the pain and frustration of going through the tough times.

Keep the Giant faith.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Giant Jim

For those that want them to lose, do you want players like Jalin Hyatt and Tre Hawkins to play terrible? Do you have no interest if Jordon Riley is any good. You think it's better to just cut him and use a premium draft pick to replace him? How about Evan Neal? Best for him to give up a bunch of sacks so they can try again in the next draft? I want him to play as much as possible and hopefully do well and show improvement. That was a high draft pick they used for him, he needs to be given every chance to improve.

Most games are over 3 hours long and there are a minimum of 17 every year. The Giants are on the clock what, about 30-40 minutes total at the draft? I them to do well and win for the 50+ hours I watch. The draft is for talk, the games are top entertainment.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Giant Jim on November 02, 2023, 05:51:45 PMFor those that want them to lose, do you want players like Jalin Hyatt and Tre Hawkins to play terrible? Do you have no interest if Jordon Riley is any good. You think it's better to just cut him and use a premium draft pick to replace him? How about Evan Neal? Best for him to give up a bunch of sacks so they can try again in the next draft? I want him to play as much as possible and hopefully do well and show improvement. That was a high draft pick they used for him, he needs to be given every chance to improve.

Most games are over 3 hours long and there are a minimum of 17 every year. The Giants are on the clock what, about 30-40 minutes total at the draft? I them to do well and win for the 50+ hours I watch. The draft is for talk, the games are top entertainment.

As I explained in my post, I cannot, and never do, root for the Giants to do anything but win when I watch the games. I have never rooted for them to lose once in my life. I want them to win on game day, and when they don't, it impacts me every time.

However, when I reflect on the situation the team is in currently and this specific draft and the stakes it may have have on our franchise over the long term, it is my personal opinion that we are better off with a high pick and a really bad record than something like the 12th pick and a 7-10 record. For me, it has absolutely nothing to do with the entertainment value of draft night and how many minutes I will watch them being on the clock. That part is irrelevant for me. I just care much more about the 5-10 year forward of this team than I do about whether we finish 4-13 or 6-11. Either way, 2023 will go down as a total failure in my book. Since failing hurts, if I have to endure that pain (yet again), I want as much compensation as possible for that. The compensation for being terrible is your draft position.

Jclayton92

We don't have the Qb play to win games so I don't think the question really matters. As I stated in my post above I'm looking forward to the young guys continuing to improve and develop while we wait on the new heir apparent. 

Giantleap56

How about a game to game approach. Win next week and then think about the next.
If the Giants run the table it means they are hoisting a Lombardi.A need for a new QB is quelled. All problems are solved. If you guys recalled the Giants were 4-4 and they ran the table until Super Bowl.

katkavage

The Giants have games against losing teams: Raiders, Pats, Commanders, Rams, and Packers. Saints are so so. They could win all those games.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: katkavage on November 02, 2023, 06:53:15 PMThe Giants have games against losing teams: Raiders, Pats, Commanders, Rams, and Packers. Saints are so so. They could win all those games.

True, but we're a 2-6 team as well. So we could also lose all these games.

kartanoman

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 02, 2023, 06:11:49 PMAs I explained in my post, I cannot, and never do, root for the Giants to do anything but win when I watch the games. I have never rooted for them to lose once in my life. I want them to win on game day, and when they don't, it impacts me every time.

However, when I reflect on the situation the team is in currently and this specific draft and the stakes it may have have on our franchise over the long term, it is my personal opinion that we are better off with a high pick and a really bad record than something like the 12th pick and a 7-10 record. For me, it has absolutely nothing to do with the entertainment value of draft night and how many minutes I will watch them being on the clock. That part is irrelevant for me. I just care much more about the 5-10 year forward of this team than I do about whether we finish 4-13 or 6-11. Either way, 2023 will go down as a total failure in my book. Since failing hurts, if I have to endure that pain (yet again), I want as much compensation as possible for that. The compensation for being terrible is your draft position.

In 1980, when the Giants played the Redskins at RFK in the next to last game of the season, they were running neck and neck with the Skins. They took the lead in the 4th quarter, 13-10, but couldn't hold on as Theismann tossed the winner to former Giant, Bobby Hammond, for the winner. Had the Giants won that game, would history have been different as the Giants may not have been able to draft Lawrence Taylor.

In 2003, the Giants had the Cowboys MNF game all but wrapped up. Parcells' return as the villain would end up in the losing column. Then, a young Matt Bryant knocks the kickoff out of bounds. That one kick, which enabled Dallas to tie and, eventually win the game in OT, was a stunner; however, it may very well have been the play which put Ernie Accorsi in the poker game for Eli Manning in the 2004 draft. Or, you can use Brian Westbrook's punt return in the Eagles' win at Giants Stadium ... take your pick.

Those are two innocent games; two Giant losses which, at the time, nobody could have calculated their historical worth. But those may have very well been two of the most significant losses in Giants history which precipitated fate-changing selections in their respective drafts the following year.

It's the finest of fine lines between wanting your team to win at all costs versus, well, a lotto ticket for a player who will change the course of your fate going forward.

How do you REALLY feel?

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

kartanoman

I wanted to share something different and wanted to query your thoughts on possibly implementing this for the NFL.

The Australian Football League (AFL) will be carrying out its annual draft in a few weeks. Their league has a discretionary rule which allows the league's governing body to issue additional first round draft picks to teams who have performed the worst for multiple years in succession. In other words, if you end up at the bottom of the standings for two, maybe three years in a row, the league has the power to issue the struggling club additional picks in order to try and help them improve. Their logic being that they want all their teams to be competitive and, if a team is far behind its competition, it creates an imbalance based on scheduling. As it stands now, the league has 18 clubs who play 23 rounds (i.e. games) so there's an imbalance if one team plays the bottom-feeder twice in the season versus another team who might play them only once.

If the NFL had a team which was a perennial bottom-feeder, how would a similar rule to the AFL play out in the NFL by giving that team additional #1 draft picks. Would that create greater incentive to tank games? For the record, the AFL teams absolutely despise the rule and would rather let those teams suffer until their management properly learns how to build a team by selecting the right players and having the right coaches in place to develop them.

Thoughts?