News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT - NCAA Football Week 10 Thread

Started by DaveBrown74, November 04, 2023, 12:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Lots of good matchups today. Big ones for me are:

ND at Clemson: ND's season is pretty much over but they have a longshot chance still if they run the table and a lot of things go their way. Either way this is a pretty good matchup.

K State at Texas: Huge Big 12 matchup. Texas is still clinging to national championship hopes, and K State has been surging of late.

Texas A+M at Ole Miss: Very solid SEC matchup. Both teams have done good things this year.

Mizzou at UGA: Can Mizzou shock the world and expose UGA a little? I doubt it, but Mizzou is very good.

Ok at Ok St: Gotta love the Bedlam matchup. Should be a wild one per normal.

Washington at USC: Everyone loves Washington here but I sneaky like SC in this game.

LSU at Bama: Game of the week for sure. I like LSU in this game, but it's a risky pick. But I think Brian Kelly knows Rees like the back of his hand and will have his D prepared.

Very solid stuff.

DaveBrown74

Estime is such a monster for ND. I would not mind at all if the Giants grabbed him on day two. He has beasted out against good defenses all year. 6.2 YPC (going into today) and 12 TDs against a very tough schedule.

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 04, 2023, 12:16:08 PMEstime is such a monster for ND. I would not mind at all if the Giants grabbed him on day two. He has beasted out against good defenses all year. 6.2 YPC (going into today) and 12 TDs against a very tough schedule.
lots of good backs this year

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 04, 2023, 01:37:11 PMlots of good backs this year

All the more reason why I really hope we don't throw more money at Barkley. I want a young guy with elite burst who will cost $1m-$2m a year instead of an aging, injury-prone guy who has clearly lost explosiveness in recent years and who will cost us many multiples of that.

Jclayton92

Here to just say Tre Harris is the next Ole Miss Wr who's going to get drafted in the 2nd round ala AJ Brown and Metcalf this upcoming draft and be a top 10 wr in a year or two.

Philosophers

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 04, 2023, 03:59:57 PMHere to just say Tre Harris is the next Ole Miss Wr who's going to get drafted in the 2nd round ala AJ Brown and Metcalf this upcoming draft and be a top 10 wr in a year or two.

How is Jonathan Mingo doing in his first NFL year?  I have not followed him.

DaveBrown74

ND was hugely disappointing today. Sam Hartman was awful. I don't see a meaningful NFL future for him.

Looks like the Ole Miss/A+M game as well as the K State/Texas games were thrillers. Texas and Ole Miss are not out of it yet for the playoffs, so they did a nice job to keep their hopes alive.

UGA is getting a game from Mizzou here. Would love to see that upset.

The Bedlam game is always fun.

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 04, 2023, 04:57:18 PMND was hugely disappointing today. Sam Hartman was awful. I don't see a meaningful NFL future for him.

Looks like the Ole Miss/A+M game as well as the K State/Texas games were thrillers. Texas and Ole Miss are not out of it yet for the playoffs, so they did a nice job to keep their hopes alive.

UGA is getting a game from Mizzou here. Would love to see that upset.

The Bedlam game is always fun.

Noooo no upset, we need them undefeated for when ole miss goes in there next week lol.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Philosophers on November 04, 2023, 04:37:50 PMHow is Jonathan Mingo doing in his first NFL year?  I have not followed him.
I think Mingo is phenomenal but Bryce Young and Carolina just don't have any other skill players or talent outside him. I mean mingo has been targeted 19 times for like 200 yards. Carolina just doesn't throw it.

DaveBrown74

A few thoughts/notes in the aftermath:

Coach Prime: 1-5 in Pac-12 play this year despite essentially firing a ton of kids and bringing in other players. And then talking in August like he had some juggernaut. Not much to show for after that controversial move.

FSU is obviously doing well, but their schedule has been an utter cakewalk. If they lose one single game they should have zero chance of getting in. One loss and they're probably not even a top 10 team let alone top four. They nearly lost to BC earlier this year.

As of right now, OSU and UGA are the deserving number one and number two teams, as they both have signature wins (or something close to that). It's completely plausible that UMich could be better, but they haven't beaten anyone remotely noteworthy yet. That all changes next week. If they win in PSU, then they're right in the same conversation as those other two, possibly better. The cheating rubs me the wrong way though.

Both C Williams and M Penix Jr played well yesterday in what figured to be a high scoring affair between two teams with defenses that leave a lot to be desired.

Oregon to me is the class of the Pac-12, despite losing a razor tight game in Washington. I think they're the better team on a neutral field.

Texas' hopes for the playoffs are very scant, but they are not 100% dead. Their signature win in Bama looks very impressive, especially now. Just winning out won't be enough though. Oklahoma' now two losses makes that not the case. They'll need some help. But that was a respectable win yesterday as K State has been playing great ball.

Bama was too much for LSU last night. LSU's defense is simply putrid. They're like an ACC or Big 12 defense. Three losses in early November is tough there. That program has high standards. Even the meathead Eddie O won a title there. Kelly could start hearing about it soon.

I think what Oklahoma St has done this year is remarkable. They saw a mass exodus of talent and were expected to be a non-factor. They struggled early but have frankly played like a clear top 10 team since. They have wins against K State, Kansas, and now Oklahoma. With two losses in that conference they have no shot at that playoffs, but this is the sort of team I'd be thrilled to see in a 12 team format, as they are better than people think. Gundy deserves a lot of credit for what he's managed to do with this group.

Nice win by Ole Miss. A+M (despite being 5-4) is better than their record. Their losses are mainly close, one score losses to ranked teams. The only exception was week two against Miami, but that was a while ago. Ole Miss is interesting. If they beat UGA next week they're going to be in a very interesting position. That's a tall order, as the game is in Athens, but you never know.

PSU is still in the conversation. If they win next week against Michigan that would be huge. They looked very good yesterday. Maryland isn't that good, but nobody has beaten them the way PSU did yesterday, and that includes a game in Ohio State.

So much for this Air Force season. Fun little story for a week or two, but that's all it was.