News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Farewell DJ

Started by killarich, November 06, 2023, 12:22:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

killarich

I only got to watch the first half if the game since I'm in a completely different time zone and it wasn't worth it to stay up for the second half but I was able to see DJ go down

I was one of the supporters but now his time is officially done (well it should be ). I knew after that first sack where it looked like he was tripped that something was wrong.

Did dj have his faults , definitely. I also think the dude was shellshocked .... Just looking at that replay his little mini steps he does has to be damaged fears from a bad o line.

Nonetheless it's no point of trying to move on with DJ if it is indeed a torn acl .... His. Biggest weapons was his legs and ability to run for the first downs . Not only do we have to worry about the neck now we also have to worry about his knee.

Whatever qb we get.... It has to be someone who isn't afraid to throw it down the field.

Our first three picks should be QB , o-line and whatever is the biggest need with the Seahawks pick

Sucks we are back to draft talk mid season as giants fans

kingm56

Injuries aside, this was always the most likely conclusion to the DJ saga; thankfully, management understood DJ's trajectory and structured the contract to replace him as soon as next year's draft.  In the modern NFL, it's difficult to be truly competitive with a QB who's incapable of throwing for more than 3500 yards in a 17 game season.  If the Giants are in position to actually draft his replacement, we should all rejoice, as it gives us a chance to be competitive again, or at least not the boring/unwatchable offense we've been under DJ's tenure.  Consider Houston, they were the NFLs worst team in 2022 at 3-13-1; drafting the right QB has propelled them to a 4-4 record, second place in their conference.  They're averaging 24 PPG, compared to the 17 PPG last season.  That's what a rookie QB can do for a team!   Imagine if we had these numbers from a QB:

4824 Yards 30 TDs 2 Int

That's CJ current 17-game projection; remember, he has limited offensive weapons and he's still thriving.  Obviously, not every team gets to draft a CJ; however, we should be excited about the prospect of drafting a QB capable of fundamentally altering our teams trajectory.  At the very least, we may draft someone exciting to watch...

AZGiantFan

Quote from: killarich on November 06, 2023, 12:22:25 AMDid dj have his faults , definitely.

His biggest fault was being drafted by a team with a bad owner and incompetent football people.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

kingm56

Quote from: AZGiantFan on November 06, 2023, 01:10:37 AMHis biggest fault was being drafted by a team with a bad owner and incompetent football people.

I thought we would be over blaming others at this point...

AZGiantFan

Quote from: kingm56 on November 06, 2023, 01:17:54 AMI thought we would be over blaming others at this point...

You're right.  The Giants have been superbly run for the last 5 years and Jones just dragged them down. /sarcasm/
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

kingm56

Quote from: AZGiantFan on November 06, 2023, 01:56:10 AMYou're right.  The Giants have been superbly run for the last 5 years and Jones just dragged them down. /sarcasm/

Yeah, let's make hyperbolic statements to deflect; in point of fact, few people (one actually) claim DJ is solely responsible for dragging the franchise down.  However, I believe we're past the point of pretending DJ isn't part of the offensive ineptitude we've endured the last 4 seasons.  Should we hire a 4th HC and 6th OC and hope for a different outcome?

Was it Hyatts fault he got himself wide open, 50+ yards down the field to be delivered uncatchable balls? If you have the All-22, you would know this is a pretty routine occurrence this season (i.e. missing big plays).  In 8 years (including College), DJ has NEVER been even an average passer, but let's continue to blame everyone around him /sarcasm/.   Pray tel, was Cinci loaded with talent when Joe B arrived and totally changed the franchise trajectory?  What about the great Houston Texans, a team that won a whopping 3 games last season...is CJ Stroud surrounded by superior talent?  The notion that DJ is dragged down by those around him is a tired, and played-out narrative.  After 5-seasons, Its really time to move on....

BTW, it's a neat trick to heap tons of praise on DJ for last season, while completely absolving him of 4 seasons of terrible play...

MightyGiants

Quote from: kingm56 on November 06, 2023, 01:17:54 AMI thought we would be over blaming others at this point...

As opposed to making excuses for the terrible environment that caused 3 major injuries to starting QBs in just half a season?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MagicRat

There's plenty blame to go round in the whole DJ story.
He was overdrafted.
Had he been taken mid second or thereby, and gone to a functioning ball club, there's a fair chance DJ might've morphed into a decent standard NFL QB, maybe even an elite one.
Maybe not, maybe the "locking on" and inability to read the field was already ingrained.
Nature/nurture.
We'll never know.
But he was drafted 6 overall into an organisation whose dysfunctionality had squandered the latter, possibly peak, years of an elite QB.

I fear our team is destined for many more years as a "banter club".
After last season I thought we were finally on the right road. Were we the finished article?
Not even close, but I felt we were a well coached, well organised club....finally.
But this season we have been so obviously and hopelessly unprepared, for both the season as a whole and individual games.
On top of that, everything that could go wrong has gone wrong.

So where do we go?
We build, we evaluate, we raise draft capital, we scout.
Schoen has a helluva job on his hands.
Every coach's job is on the line.
Every player's job is on the line.
Harsh, honest, realistic, unemotional evaluation of every single employee of the New York Football Giants is Schoen's job...including self scouting and self evaluation.
If he's not up to the job......
Smell my cheese you mother!

Torus34

It's past time to conclude the evaluation of Mr. Danial Jones and decide whether to keep him or cut him loose. No matter who's making the decision, it should be obvious by now as to what that decision is.

And, while I'm at it, the offensive play caller for the Giants [Ed.: Yes, Gentle Reader, the duality in 'offensive' is intentional,] bears scrutiny, with the same keep/discard question asked.

The New Jersey Giants are, like it or not, the doormat of the NFL. It need not be so next year.

Go, Big Blue!

Doc16LT56

Ownership's biggest fault is deluding themselves, beat writers, and the fan base into believing a mediocre talent is actually a franchise QB. It's the same playbook countless organizations have followed only to end up in QB hell.

Back to the thread topic, is this actually farewell for DJ? He has a guaranteed salary next season of $35.5 million. I would think that means he has to at least go through the motions of rehabbing with the Giants in hopes of resuming his career as a "franchise" QB. A lot depends obviously on the draft but also on the timeline for DJ's recovery.

Messiah717

They thought they had an Eli clone.  Good guy but overall the  talent is limited to what we have seen.

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: Messiah717 on November 06, 2023, 07:44:27 AMThey thought they had an Eli clone.  Good guy but overall the  talent is limited to what we have seen.

Square peg, round hole. Just because he looks the part doesn't mean he was equipped for the role. Nice guy, but pretending he's the future because he says the right things despite being a habitual loser is ridiculous.

B1GBLUE

I was really hoping he'd do well enough to end the season that we wouldnt have to go qb in round 1. i dont think we have a choice now. on top of still not being very good, he is now officially injury prone. he's missed a lot of time over his career, and this is the most significant injury yet if indeed a torn acl. im not sure i buy the whole his mobility is shot thing, lots of guys come back fine from acl tears. barkley looked pretty good yesterday. but in any event, its a long shot for him to be ready to start the season next year. i think at this point, we HAVE to draft a qb in round 1, and let them compete in camp. it sucks. hate to see him go out this way. but maybe this was the most direct path to the inevitable.

B1GBLUE

when the owner comes out and says as much, its undeniable. he DOES have his own faults. but a lot of them were born of the situation he was put into.

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: B1GBLUE on November 06, 2023, 07:52:04 AMwhen the owner comes out and says as much, its undeniable. he DOES have his own faults. but a lot of them were born of the situation he was put into.

The owner has an agenda and palpable biases. But the Giants didn't "ruin" Daniel Jones--at worst they failed to develop an overdrafted project QB into something he had never been previously.