News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Can someone explain why DJ was on the field?

Started by MightyGiants, November 06, 2023, 08:26:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

DJ tore his ACL during the last play of the first quarter.  The team examined his knee during the break.  So why on God's green earth was he taking a snap to start the second quarter with a torn ACL???
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Daboll said he was running on the sideline. Maybe he should have been running backwards. Maybe it's not an ACL. Maybe it's an MCL. Maybe it was partially torn or strained and the final damage occurred when he planted it.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 06, 2023, 08:31:58 AMDaboll said he was running on the sideline. Maybe he should have been running backwards. Maybe it's not an ACL. Maybe it's an MCL. Maybe it was partially torn or strained and the final damage occurred when he planted it.

Ed,

Having had knee problems since I was a teen, I am pretty familiar with having a knee examination.  When one tears a ligament, there is telltale instability when they perform those tests.   It has nothing to do with running; it's how the knee responds when you tug and pull in various directions.  With the ACL torn, there would have been clear-cut instability, which a competent medical people would have detected.   Jones can run after the ACL, but the instability would have still been there.  Jones is lucky he wasn't hurt worse.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 06, 2023, 08:26:10 AMDJ tore his ACL during the last play of the first quarter.  The team examined his knee during the break.  So why on God's green earth was he taking a snap to start the second quarter with a torn ACL???
Rich: There ARE other possibilities (including just plain bad luck) but possibly because he's a tough kid with a strong sense of duty/obligation to the team and his teammates who (maybe) had been lying to, or at least not being full open with, the medical staff. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 06, 2023, 08:36:18 AMRich: There ARE other possibilities (including just plain bad luck) but possibly because he's a tough kid with a strong sense of duty/obligation to the team and his teammates who (maybe) had been lying to, or at least not being full open with, the medical staff. Bob

Bob,

In medicine, there are signs (things the medical person can observe) and symptoms (things the patient tells the medical person).   An ACL has signs (knee instability during examine), the symptoms (pain) can be variable and not a key indicator.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 06, 2023, 08:36:14 AMEd,

Having had knee problems since I was a teen, I am pretty familiar with having a knee examination.  When one tears a ligament, there is telltale instability when they perform those tests.  It has nothing to do with running; it's how the knee responds when you tug and pull in various directions.  With the ACL torn, there would have been clear-cut instability, which a competent medical people would have detected.  Jones can run after the ACL, but the instability would have still been there.  Jones is lucky he wasn't hurt worse.
Then the tear if there is one would have occurred when he went back in.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 06, 2023, 08:39:47 AMThen the tear if there is one would have occurred when he went back in.

I re-watched the play that ended the first quarter, multiple times. It's pretty clear that's when DJ tore his ACL.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 06, 2023, 08:40:57 AMI re-watched the play that ended the first quarter, multiple times. It's pretty clear that's when DJ tore his ACL.
So you know better watching film than the medical staff examining him? If that's the case they should definitely be fired.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 06, 2023, 08:42:37 AMSo you know better watching film than the medical staff examining him? If that's the case they should definitely be fired.

Ed,

Please...   I have a link in the "football Doc fears and ACL for DJ" thread where a team of doctors looked at the film and saw the ACL injury occur, so I am hardly alone.

Still, it's quite concerning the Giants medical staff failed to detect the ACL injury and sent DJ back on the field.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 06, 2023, 08:45:52 AMEd,

Please...   I have a link in the "football Doc fears and ACL for DJ" thread where a team of doctors looked at the film and saw the ACL injury occur, so I am hardly alone.

Still, it's quite concerning the Giants medical staff failed to detect the ACL injury and sent DJ back on the field.
That's what I said.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

EDjohnst1981

I read a report that he said he was good to go back in.

That's not a smart move. So throw that into the 3 tenets that JS wants, he's also not dependable. Tough as nails though.

MightyGiants

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on November 06, 2023, 08:58:36 AMI read a report that he said he was good to go back in.

That's not a smart move. So throw that into the 3 tenets that JS wants, he's also not dependable. Tough as nails though.

The problem was he was not good to go back in.  I have a hard time, faulting a player who gets and ACL, though.  Unless they have had more than one, they tend to be freak injuries (as was the case yesterday).   DJ was trying to avoid Cager, who saw the pursuer chasing DJ and ran towards DJ to try and block in (accidentally serving more as another pass rusher).  Cager would have done better simply to go out and serve as an outlet receiver to DJ.

One other note, this injury occurred on an outstanding grass field.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 06, 2023, 09:08:23 AMThe problem was he was not good to go back in.  I have a hard time, faulting a player who gets and ACL, though.  Unless they have had more than one, they tend to be freak injuries (as was the case yesterday).   DJ was trying to avoid Cager, who saw the pursuer chasing DJ and ran towards DJ to try and block in (accidentally serving more as another pass rusher).  Cager would have done better simply to go out and serve as an outlet receiver to DJ.

One other note, this injury occurred on an outstanding grass field.

No, clearly he wasn't good to go back in. I wasn't intimating he was. All I said is I read a report where he was asked if he was good to go and that was that.

He should have been held out a series so he could have had a more comprehensive evaluation.

Ed Vette

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on November 06, 2023, 09:13:50 AMNo, clearly he wasn't good to go back in. I wasn't intimating he was. All I said is I read a report where he was asked if he was good to go and that was that.

He should have been held out a series so he could have had a more comprehensive evaluation.
Maybe the overriding factor was not to lose this game and it blinded Daboll but I doubt that. He relies on the word of his medical staff.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Woody

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 06, 2023, 08:26:10 AMDJ tore his ACL during the last play of the first quarter.  The team examined his knee during the break.  So why on God's green earth was he taking a snap to start the second quarter with a torn ACL???

maybe a change that should have happened years ago .. Ronnie Barnes a Mara favorite and soul mate I guess.