News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

"Won't they just break the next QB you get?"

Started by MightyGiants, November 06, 2023, 08:28:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 06, 2023, 09:32:12 AMRich: That's the Gettleman argument, and I personally believe it's time for the Giants to enter the 21st century.  Finish (by free-agency or draft or both) the OL to the coaches' satisfaction, get your hopefully elite number-one wide receiver and draft your QB in 2025.  But then again, what do I know...  Bob

Agree.  A team is built on smart decisions with CAP space and draft capital.  Having already committed something like $35 million in CAP space to the QB position it would be absurd to then commit a huge amount of draft capital to the QB position.  Because, if you do that how do you build a quality team around the QB position?  You don't because you don't have the resources.  Rinse and repeat.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

madbadger

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 06, 2023, 08:47:43 AMI see a lot of QB needy teams with similar records to the Giants and as likely to lose as many games as the Giants.

I suspect that the Bears will be sitting in the catbird seat in terms of auctioning off a prime draft selection to get one of the top QBs and the Giants among the bidders.

It's likely that the Bears will be in the cat bird seat but they also play Carolina and Arizona the second half of the season. So their pick may actually be higher than it is right now. The pick that they got from Carolina has a better chance of staying where it is but the Panthers aren't playing for draft position and aren't likely to roll over the rest of the way. I would be surprised if they managed an upset or two but I also wouldn't be surprised if they lost every game going forward.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: AZGiantFan on November 06, 2023, 10:58:44 AMAgree.  A team is built on smart decisions with CAP space and draft capital.  Having already committed something like $35 million in CAP space to the QB position it would be absurd to then commit a huge amount of draft capital to the QB position.  Because, if you do that how do you build a quality team around the QB position?  You don't because you don't have the resources.  Rinse and repeat.

Ooops, I understated the problem.  They have 47 million in committed CAP space for the QB position.  Which makes my point more acute.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll