News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Get Well Soon, Daniel Jones

Started by MightyGiants, November 06, 2023, 12:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Vibes - Eli Racks
@IamEliRacks
Daniel Jones is the definition of a Giant. He came prepared and bought it each time he stepped on the field, whether you think he was successful or not. It sucks for him to go out like this. Leave all opinions aside of how he is as a player and send wishes for a speedy recovery.  I'm sure we can all agree on that for once 💯 #NYGiants

https://x.com/IamEliRacks/status/1721575054050218332?s=20

https://x.com/AlbaneseLaura/status/1721570839345193033?s=20
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

I can absolutely get on board with lionizing Jones as a great person, but I'm not sure I would call him a "great Giant." That type of phrase should be reserved for players who not only had great personal qualities but were also successful on the field.

Ed Vette

A tough way to go out and he has to be very frustrated. I'm sure he will do everything he can to rehab and get back on the team ASAP. He's a tough kid and a credit to the organization as a leader and gentleman.

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

EDjohnst1981

Crikey, that opening tweet sounds like he's suffered a Hamlin-like injury. Not torn his ACL.

I've not read a single post or tweet where the author is happy he's injured.

The over eulogising isn't for me.

ozzie

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 06, 2023, 01:05:36 PMI can absolutely get on board with lionizing Jones as a great person, but I'm not sure I would call him a "great Giant." That type of phrase should be reserved for players who not only had great personal qualities but were also successful on the field.
Sorry, but I'm going to respectfully disagree with you on this one. I don't think being a great Giant should embody only what happens on the field but it should also be someone's character's and their commitment to the team.
Daniel Jones is quite a polarizing figure on this board and probably many others, but I don't know how anyone can say he didn't give every single thing he's got to this team. Game after game, with a suspect O-Line and a roster that's deplete of much more than average talent, he showed up, took his lumps and then stood in front of the press and never once threw anyone under the bus. He never let his frustrations out on a teammate or coach.
Folks love Eli, and rightfully so, and DJ is cut from the same cloth but because he hasn't lived up to expectations on the field shouldn't make him any less of a "Giant".
Like I said, he a polarizing figure, but that's just my opinion.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

DaveBrown74

Quote from: ozzie on November 06, 2023, 01:39:44 PMSorry, but I'm going to respectfully disagree with you on this one. I don't think being a great Giant should embody only what happens on the field but it should also be someone's character's and their commitment to the team.

Ozzie,

As always, I totally respect your opinion, but to be clear, the above is not at all what I said. I said being a "great Giant" should be about both personal qualities and success on the field. If it were only the former, then the list of "great giants" would include many players most if not all of us have never even heard of, as plenty of legitimately great men have donned the uniform without achieving great heights on the field of play.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 06, 2023, 01:05:36 PMI can absolutely get on board with lionizing Jones as a great person, but I'm not sure I would call him a "great Giant." That type of phrase should be reserved for players who not only had great personal qualities but were also successful on the field.

Where was the term "great Giant" used?  :-??

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

PSUBeirut

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 06, 2023, 01:54:17 PMWhere was the term "great Giant" used?  :-??

Great question. 

I wish DJ nothing but the best and appreciate all the work and dedication he's put in for this franchise.  Sadly, it seems his story will end on a sour note.  That's just how things shake out sometimes.

ozzie

I have taken your quote out of context and replied incorrectly. Sorry about that.
Maybe not a Great Giant, but I'd still call DJ one of the good ones. :D A stand up guy and a good teammate.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

kartanoman

Quote from: PSUBeirut on November 06, 2023, 01:58:09 PMGreat question. 

I wish DJ nothing but the best and appreciate all the work and dedication he's put in for this franchise.  Sadly, it seems his story will end on a sour note.  That's just how things shake out sometimes.

Indeed, it does. Sometimes, timing is all it takes. Ask Jeff Hostetler in 1990 when he was ready to quit. Ask Kurt Warner in 1999 when he was one week of player cuts away from bagging groceries again. It hasn't happened for our Danny Dimes, but through no fault of his own.

No matter his fate, going forward, the man has worn the Giant colors with dignity, class and in a manner that commands the respect he deserves as "Once a Giant, Always a Giant."

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Ed Vette

This may have been a blessing in disguise for Daniel Jones. His passes were so badly off, that I wonder if he wasn't fully recovered. Necks and Spines are not to be messed with. Tommy DeVito took a couple of hits that may have had catastrophic effects on DJ. I don't know if that medical staff can be trusted.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: ozzie on November 06, 2023, 02:00:39 PMI have taken your quote out of context and replied incorrectly. Sorry about that.
Maybe not a Great Giant, but I'd still call DJ one of the good ones. :D A stand up guy and a good teammate.

Obviously no problem, and, further, as others have pointed out, the term "great giant" was not used in the original tweet, but rather that he is the "definition of a Giant." I appreciate that that's not quite (or necessarily) the exact same thing.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 06, 2023, 02:14:21 PMThis may have been a blessing in disguise for Daniel Jones. His passes were so badly off, that I wonder if he wasn't fully recovered. Necks and Spines are not to be messed with. Tommy DeVito took a couple of hits that may have had catastrophic effects on DJ. I don't know if that medical staff can be trusted.

I considered this as well. Something was wrong with him as he looked way worse than normal prior to the injury. He may have been slightly less than 100% accurate with his own descriptions to doctors about how he was feeling once Taylor got hurt.

There is nothing good about tearing your ACL, but in the event (which we'll obviously never know) that it saved him from something much more dangerous or permanent, it's possible it was a blessing in disguise. Something looked clearly off before the injury.

B1GBLUE

obviously his time here wont exactly be looked back on with appreciation. i for one, will always remember him as being one of the toughest guys i've ever seen. i've never seen another player take the absolute beating he's taken during his time here, gotten up every time, never blamed anyone else, and fought through it best he could. dude went out there with a torn acl, and gave it eveything he had until he physically couldnt stand anymore. maybe he wasnt the best. maybe he cost us some games. maybe he could have and should have done better. but at the end of the day, i will always appreciate the sacrifices he made for us. i hope he comes back and continues to compete. probably for a different team. probably best for both parties to part ways.

babywhales

A horrible way for his season to end. Was hoping he could make the most of the remaining games and secure the QB position.

69 mill in dead cap next year almost certainly keeps him on the roster.  

IMO, if he comes back,  He will play and take the brunt of the line development.  

The new QB will take over once the line comes together, will that be mid season 24/25 of to start the 25/26 season. 
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S