News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants QB tryout

Started by MightyGiants, November 07, 2023, 12:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

I don't personally want the Giants to rattle off meaningless wins now as I really want the best possible QB prospect we can get, but it's weird to me that nobody in the league wants Carson Wentz. I totally get that he was a huge disappointment relative to expectations and has had some injury issues, but no way he's worse than some of these names drifting around like DeVito and Eason. I mean Wentz had an 80 rating last year and a 94 rating the year before, and he's 30. Weird that he's not at least a backup somewhere. His career numbers are better than both Jones' and Taylor's.

Is there some unmanageable personality flaw I don't know about? It just seems weird that this guy is not on a 53 anywhere.

EDjohnst1981

I too am surprised by the lack of interest in Wentz. I thought they'd kick the tires on him to at least attempt to put a functioning offense on the field.

Has anyone brought him in for a visit? It's not like there's not been a raft of vacancies in QB rooms this season. I mean he's what, six years away from a near MVP season?

RelaxTension

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 07, 2023, 12:28:34 PMI don't personally want the Giants to rattle off meaningless wins now as I really want the best possible QB prospect we can get, but it's weird to me that nobody in the league wants Carson Wentz. I totally get that he was a huge disappointment relative to expectations and has had some injury issues, but no way he's worse than some of these names drifting around like DeVito and Eason. I mean Wentz had an 80 rating last year and a 94 rating the year before, and he's 30. Weird that he's not at least a backup somewhere. His career numbers are better than both Jones' and Taylor's.

Is there some unmanageable personality flaw I don't know about? It just seems weird that this guy is not on a 53 anywhere.

How much does he think he's worth?
That to me would be why he's not on a team.
Enjoy the moment it's the only way to live..

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: RelaxTension on November 07, 2023, 12:32:49 PMHow much does he think he's worth?

True. But neither the Jets or
giants brought him in for a visit. Surely the assessment of his ability to play will come before any $$ discussion.

Dgoodmantrublu

Wentz is an example of how you treat people mattering. He's well known to be an ass. No one one wants a marginal player who is a terrible person.

uconnjack8

The point about Wentz is pretty interesting when you consider who the backups were in week 1 of the season.  Devito was the Giants 3rd stringer but there are a couple teams that had rookie late round or UDFAs as their 2nd string. 

Bob In PA

Who's the backup QB for the next game?
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

RelaxTension

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on November 07, 2023, 12:34:03 PMTrue. But neither the Jets or
giants brought him in for a visit. Surely the assessment of his ability to play will come before any $$ discussion.
I'm not sure how any of that goes down.
I did think the Giants and Pugh had a number when they added him to the PS in case they elevate him to the roster.
Enjoy the moment it's the only way to live..

DaveBrown74

Quote from: RelaxTension on November 07, 2023, 12:32:49 PMHow much does he think he's worth?

No idea although at some point something is clearly better than nothing. If you're sitting around waiting to get signed and the phone isn't ringing at some point, even someone who is pretty delusional, you'll lower the asking price.

I suspect it's more because he has an objectionable personality (which I don't know for sure but I know there are rumors of that) than anything else.

He wouldn't be the first guy in the league who is a XXXXX, but I guess with QBs the standard is higher given the leadership nature of the position.

Ed Vette

I they sign Wentz for the remainder of this year, do you think he will want at least a 2 year contract with a salary commensurate to what TT was getting? Then what happens? If he plays well and the Giants win a few games which drops them out of range for their preferred QB, it becomes a QB controversy against Jones. If he doesn't play well they are stuck with him and Tommy or another young arm does not get developed.

Not bringing in a decent Veteran QB is a sign to me that they are drafting a QB and possibly grooming Danny as a future backup. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 07, 2023, 01:25:35 PMI they sign Wentz for the remainder of this year, do you think he will want at least a 2 year contract with a salary commensurate to what TT was getting? Then what happens? If he plays well and the Giants win a few games which drops them out of range for their preferred QB, it becomes a QB controversy against Jones. If he doesn't play well they are stuck with him and Tommy or another young arm does not get developed.

Not bringing in a decent Veteran QB is a sign to me that they are drafting a QB and possibly grooming Danny as a future backup. 

Agreed. I'm glad Mara isn't freaking out about wanting to save face with these meaningless games.

I guess I'm just surprised in general that Wentz is not on a 53 man roster anywhere (not just us).

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 07, 2023, 01:39:26 PMAgreed. I'm glad Mara isn't freaking out about wanting to save face with these meaningless games.

I guess I'm just surprised in general that Wentz is not on a 53-man roster anywhere (not just us).
If I were him, I would not play the rest of this year. It's tough to be a walk-on even with his experience and he takes a chance of looking bad. It's not like it's a trade where he was involved and playing. Take the year off and come back with a fresh perspective. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

afan56

Ed Vette

Quote from: afan56 on November 07, 2023, 01:59:43 PMWhy not tank with Tommy?
They're looking for a PS player in case of another injury.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin