News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants injury rundown this season

Started by MightyGiants, November 07, 2023, 12:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Ryan Dunleavy
@rydunleavy
#Giants injury rundown this season. It's a remarkably long list:

QB Daniel Jones, neck and torn ACL, will miss a total of 11 games and is out for the season

QB Tyrod Taylor, rib cage, missed one game and will miss at least the next 3*

RB Saquon Barkley, high ankle sprain, missed 3 games

RB Gary Brightwell, hamstring, missed 2 games and will miss at least the next 2*

RB/PR Eric Gray, calf, missed 2 games and will miss at least the next 2*

RB Jashuan Corbin, hamstring, missed 1 game and counting

TE Darren Waller, hamstring, missed one game and will miss at least the next 3*

WR Wan'Dale Robinson, knee, missed 2 games

LT Andrew Thomas, hamstring, missed 7 games

OL Josh Ezeudu, toe, missed 3 games and counting*

OG Ben Bredeson, concussion, missed 1 game

OG Shane Lemieux, torn biceps, out for the season*

C John Michael Schmitz, shoulder, missed 3 games

RT Evan Neal, ankle, missed 2 games

OT Matt Peart, shoulder, missed 4 games and will miss at least the next 2*

OLB Azeez Ojulari, hamstring and ankle, missed 6 games total and counting*

K Graham Gano, knee, missed 1 game and likely is out for the season*

DT D.J. Davidson, knee, missed 2 games

LB Micah McFadden, ankle, missed 1 game

LB Cam Brown, ankle, missed 1 game

CB Cor'Dale Flott, hamstring, missed 1 game

CB Adoree Jackson, neck, missed 1 game

S Gervarrious Owens, hamstring, missed 1 game

*Was or is on injured reserve

https://x.com/rydunleavy/status/1721905348020523264?s=20
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

Bad luck, bad trainers or a combination of the two?

DaveBrown74

Incredible to me that in a results-oriented business such as this one, that a run of results as terrible as ours in something as important as player health and safety just gets accepted and shoulder-shrugged, and no significant changes are made, at least not to the leadership side of this department. How long can you look the other way while your employees drop like flies just because you like someone personally?

Given we are talking about people's well-being, this stubbornness is testing significant ethical boundaries at this point. Schoen needs to put his foot down. As the GM of this team accepting a check for millions of dollars a year, he now owns this issue too.

Giant Jim

The team needs to hire outside to study why so many leg injuries and set up a program or system or find ways to cut back on them. Can't keep blaming the turf. Jones was on grass. I was wondering if the type of shoe he was wearing had anything to do with this last one? Is it the turf, the shoes, lack of or improper stretching???

Woody

Ronni Barnes should retire and let some younger people in to manage stuff....but no ...he is Mara's best friend.
May not make difference but a whole new younger approach to medicine may help. how much influence does he have over conditioning/ training programs and rehab procedures ?
I don't know but he is the common denominator in injuries issues that seem to reoccur for this team year after year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Woody on November 08, 2023, 06:49:40 AMRonni Barnes should retire and let some younger people in to manage stuff....but no ...he is Mara's best friend.
May not make difference but a whole new younger approach to medicine may help. how much influence does he have over conditioning/ training programs and rehab procedures ?
I don't know but he is the common denominator in injuries issues that seem to reoccur for this team year after year.

The bottom line is we have the worst (or among the worst) player health outcomes on this team year-in and year-out. That is not up for debate. At the absolute best, Barnes does not appear to be helping the situation much. I really don't see why we can't bring in some new blood at a senior level. I am sure Barnes was a great trainer for the vast majority of his career. Putting him in the ring of honor made sense for that reason. I also have no doubt he is a truly spectacular man. But that doesn't mean he should be able to hold that exact position forever, IMO. I mean Coughlin won two Super Bowls here and developed the greatest QB in franchise history, and he was basically unceremoniously run out of town. I am in no way suggesting that Ronnie Barnes be "run out of town", but why can't they bring in someone else to at least be de facto in charge and allow Barnes to keep his office, salary, and maybe even exact title if they're so terrified of upsetting him by making a justifiable change due to the shockingly bad results over many years? Why not be at least be open to some new ideas in a field that has changed dramatically over even just the last 5-7 years (let alone the last couple decades)? This unwillingness (in spite of the horrible results) is frankly unconscionable to me, and it is at a point where ownership's ethics are seriously starting to come into question, at least from my perspective. We are talking about these young men's physical well being and safety. Can you look yourself in the mirror and say with confidence that if Damar Hamlin had that exact incident happen on the Giants, that he would have survived? Can you confidently say that our consistently terrible results on the health front are no more than the result of bad luck, and that it doesn't matter who the training and medical staff is? Ie, is your view that basically nothing can be done, and it is what it is, and Barnes should continue to be there because he's a great guy? Because that seems to be Mara's MO. I wish the Giants beat reporters would get a little more direct in questioning Mara and Schoen about this, including naming Barnes specifically. Enough is enough.

Woody

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 08, 2023, 07:01:00 AMThe bottom line is we have the worst (or among the worst) player health outcomes on this team year-in and year-out. That is not up for debate. At the absolute best, Barnes does not appear to be helping the situation much. I really don't see why we can't bring in some new blood at a senior level. I am sure Barnes was a great trainer for the vast majority of his career. Putting him in the ring of honor made sense for that reason. I also have no doubt he is a truly spectacular man. But that doesn't mean he should be able to hold that exact position forever, IMO. I mean Coughlin won two Super Bowls here and developed the greatest QB in franchise history, and he was basically unceremoniously run out of town. I am in no way suggesting that Ronnie Barnes be "run out of town", but why can't they bring in someone else to at least be de facto in charge and allow Barnes to keep his office, salary, and maybe even exact title if they're so terrified of upsetting him by making a justifiable change due to the shockingly bad results over many years? Why not be at least be open to some new ideas in a field that has changed dramatically over even just the last 5-7 years (let alone the last couple decades)? This unwillingness (in spite of the horrible results) is frankly unconscionable to me, and it is at a point where ownership's ethics are seriously starting to come into question, at least from my perspective. We are talking about these young men's physical well being and safety. Can you look yourself in the mirror and say with confidence that if Damar Hamlin had that exact incident happen on the Giants, that he would have survived? Can you confidently say that our consistently terrible results on the health front are no more than the result of bad luck, and that it doesn't matter who the training and medical staff is? Ie, is your view that basically nothing can be done, and it is what it is, and Barnes should continue to be there because he's a great guy? Because that seems to be Mara's MO. I wish the Giants beat reporters would get a little more direct in questioning Mara and Schoen about this, including naming Barnes specifically. Enough is enough.
Amen you said it much better than I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Giant Jim

Didn't Parcells bring in Johnny Parker to set up conditioning to cut back on injuries? There must be people like that around. Tricep and pectoral muscle injuries were never heard of before players started heavy weight lifting. Hamstring and groin injuries are indications of poor stretching, especially with bulky muscles.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Giant Jim on November 08, 2023, 10:27:48 AMDidn't Parcells bring in Johnny Parker to set up conditioning to cut back on injuries? There must be people like that around. Tricep and pectoral muscle injuries were never heard of before players started heavy weight lifting. Hamstring and groin injuries are indications of poor stretching, especially with bulky muscles.

Stretching to prevent hamstring injuries has been the conventional wisdom for many decades.  Yet, most recent studies find that stretching doesn't prevent hamstring injuries.  In fact the only exercise with strong evidence to support hamstring strains is the Nordic Hamstring Exercise.

https://www.jospt.org/doi/10.2519/jospt.2022.0301

This is why it's less than ideal that we have a 70+-year-old VP of medicine.  It's highly unlikely Ronnie Barnes is on the cutting edge of sports medicine.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

madbadger

Quote from: Woody on November 08, 2023, 06:49:40 AMRonni Barnes should retire and let some younger people in to manage stuff....but no ...he is Mara's best friend.

Promote him out of his position to a position where he has next to no day to day impact the sports medicine side. I don't care what they have to do but we can't be among the most injured teams in the league year after year for a decade.

spiderblue43

Absolutely Dave..best buds with Mara equals lifelong job security And another indication that Mara has not given carte Blanche to Dabs and Schoen. Still meddling or confounding always. :boooo:

Giant Jim

The Mara way. Grandpa Tim had former players as head coaches, Steve Owen and Jim Lee Howell. That could've been normal back then, but their coaching staffs and scouts were former players under Wellington in the 60's and early 70's. Nephew Tim recommended Andy Robustelli to run football operations to Wellington because he thought Well would be more receptive to a familiar face. Part of the agreement reached when George Young was hired was to keep "do nothings" like Howell, Ray Walsh and staff of lazy, ex-player scouts. Wellington kept Young on board after it was obvious he wouldn't accept the new free agency rules of the early 90's. He pushed Ernie Accorsi to hire Tom Coughlin, a former Giants assistant. John chose from within for Jerry Reese and McAdoo and brought back Gettleman. Kevin Abrams is still here.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: spiderblue43 on November 08, 2023, 11:21:59 AMAbsolutely Dave..best buds with Mara equals lifelong job security And another indication that Mara has not given carte Blanche to Dabs and Schoen. Still meddling or confounding always. :boooo:

The Pat Leonards, Art Stapletons, Jordan Raanans, Paul Schwartzes, and Dan Duggans of the world need to go after Mara on this issue (mentioning Barnes directly by name) the next time he has a Q+A presser. They should come armed with stats showing the Giants' injury frequency versus the rest of the league over the past decade and ask him who is accountable for this? And then when he dodges the issue ask why people get fired from this organization for poor results but not Ronnie Barnes? How else, other than injury frequency versus the rest of the league over a meaningful sample, do you measure the head trainer's job performance?

This has to happen. Schoen (for some reason) does not seem to be pushing the issue. At minimum Mara needs to be made to answer for this publicly and to know that he has heat on him on from the fans and media on this issue. It has gotten out of hand now.