News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Daniel Jones’ future.

Started by andrew_nyGiants, November 08, 2023, 02:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrew_nyGiants

Where do you see him by next years' trading deadline? Is he movable at that point? Or is it necessary to keep him through the end of next season due to cap implications.

I remember reading that Washington wanted him bad in the draft. Is the word out across the league that he's not a starting NFL QB? Or is there a Washington out there?

A lot of sentiment that he will start opening day for us with his newly drafted successor waiting in the wings.

We've never seen DJ compete for his job at this level. Does that even make a difference at this point?

Interested in when and how this chapter ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

babywhales

Rodgers is dropping back and throwing passes already

Get the surgery

Draft a qb

Get a new RT,  guard and start developing the line .

Next year jones is QB1 , while draft pick gets acclimated .

More importantly while line develops .

Raise jones value and trade him for anything or release him at end of 2024 season and eat 20 mill in dead cap for 2025.

Start new qb in year 2 (2025 season)

"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

Dgoodmantrublu

He will be the back up to either Caleb or Drake Maye next season. Then he gets traded the following year. Pretty simple. His days as a starting QB are over.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 08, 2023, 03:29:07 PMHe will be the back up to either Caleb or Drake Maye next season. Then he gets traded the following year. Pretty simple. His days as a starting QB are over.

If he gets traded at the end of 2024 that would be a great outcome for the Giants. If he's just a backup (ie doesn't play next year), he'll be coming off an oft-injured, broadly unsuccessful QB coming off a brutal 2023 season and still owed substantial money. I think you'll have a hard time finding a suitor for that proposition.  I think he'd need to play meaningful time in 2024 and actually do solidly well to get anyone to be interested. That seems unlikely at this point, especially if they get Williams or Maye. I think the Giants are going to have to cut Jones after next season, unfortunately.

Dgoodmantrublu

I see a trade where the Giants eat some money to facilitate.

DaveBrown74

I'll be pleasantly surprised if that happens. The Athletic's polls taken from active coaches, GMs, coordinators, and other front office executives collectively had Jones ranked 22nd BEFORE the start of the 2023 season. I can't imagine that opinion has since improved. Simply put, while there may be plenty of respect for Jones as a person, I don't think anyone in the league outside of the Giants organization or the fanbase thinks he's anything other than a pedestrian at best QB. Even getting someone to take the remaining 2/3 of the obligation is not going to be easy. But that would be great, for sure.

beaugestus

It hurts me to say this, but looking at this objectively I believe the Giants have no choice but to move on without DJ. His 2 neck injuries and now an ACL cannot be discounted for the sake of the franchise.

It is obvious that we don't know this upcoming draft how they feel about this QB crop and if they think there is a potential franchise QB among them. I would think that if there is one they will try to acquire him.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: beaugestus on November 09, 2023, 01:03:40 AMIt hurts me to say this, but looking at this objectively I believe the Giants have no choice but to move on without DJ. His 2 neck injuries and now an ACL cannot be discounted for the sake of the franchise.

It is obvious that we don't know this upcoming draft how they feel about this QB crop and if they think there is a potential franchise QB among them. I would think that if there is one they will try to acquire him.

I think that is a fully accurate assessment.

kingm56

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 08, 2023, 09:32:09 PMI see a trade where the Giants eat some money to facilitate.

Who do you see as protentional trade partners?  Does DJ have any value, at this current salary?  Maybe the Vikings, depending on their relative draft positions; however, I'm struggling to think of anyone who would trade for an habitual bottom 5 passer at $40 AAV.

Torus34

The New Jersey Giants run through quarterbacks for a reason. That reason's the offensive front five. Combined, they give a good imitation of NYC subway turnstiles during rush hour.

Fix that before wasting yet another QB.

Go, Big Blue!

Ed Vette

Daniel Jones is done here and there is no way they carry him into 2025 no matter how he plays next season. Whether they draft a QB or not. It's just too costly of a contract for a player with his injury history.

If they do draft a QB, there is no way of knowing how that will play out. So it's just a guessing game on whether the Giants get trade value for him in 2024. They won't risk paying the bonus in 2025 to trade him.

Schoen is not going to risk his career in a game of Russian Roulette with a bullet marked DJ.

So one thing is certain. Jones moves on before any guarantees kick in.

As it looks now, he becomes some GM's take a chance lottery or he becomes a career backup. I think he will wind up on a team that will take a chance with him as a starter and who knows, maybe he has a Geno Smith destiny.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

It would take a Brock Osweiler type trade for someone to take him and at that point we should just cut him rather than eat the money for a comp pick.

Giant Obsession

Jones should be done.  Bite the bullet, take the hit and refocus on building the Giants into a team that improves in areas of weakness next year.

Lord knows we have plenty of them.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

katkavage

Quote from: Torus34 on November 09, 2023, 08:14:35 AMThe New Jersey Giants run through quarterbacks for a reason. That reason's the offensive front five. Combined, they give a good imitation of NYC subway turnstiles during rush hour.

Fix that before wasting yet another QB.

Go, Big Blue!
They have been fixing the line for a decade. Except they haven't. Offensive line play is bad throughout the NFL. Get a QB that has some idea on how to handle pressure. DJ had no idea.

DaveBrown74

They have an all pro left tackle who is only 24, and they got the best center prospect in the last draft. I appreciate that the line is still a major work in progress, and obviously it needs more help, but it's in a better position from a foundational point of view than it was a few years ago.