News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Dabs may not survive this season,

Started by Ed Vette, November 12, 2023, 06:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

And that means the entire Coaching Staff goes. Wink included. This is bad, this is very, very bad.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Messiah717

DaveBrown74

I don't get it. Did people think this game was going to be competitive? Look who we have at QB.

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 12, 2023, 06:03:47 PMI don't get it. Did people think this game was going to be competitive? Look who we have at QB.
Yup, blame the QB. That will fix everything.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

uconnjack8

I have to wonder (and have been since it happened) why another QB wasn't signed to the practice squad when Jones injured his neck.

DeVito starting this game says something about the direction someone wants this team to head. 

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 12, 2023, 06:04:41 PMYup, blame the QB. That will fix everything.

I'm not blaming the QB. He's doing the best he can, and it's unfortunate that the team is in a position where someone with his experience and ability has to actually play. You don't go into a season expecting your first and second stringer to both go down. When that does happen, it's pretty hard to win. Panicking and firing an entire coaching staff in the middle of a season would be a knee-jerk move that would solve nothing.

AYM

Other than a mirage 6-1 start, what has Daboll done to earn a 3rd year? His offense stinks, the defense stinks, the offensive line is miserable, and he's looking pretty much the same as Judge, just without the press conference meltdowns.

The argument I've heard boils down to "we can't continue firing guys after their 2nd year".

But if we're bad enough to go QB in the first round, we're back on the carousel with a rookie QB and a coach on the hot seat. If we're going to start over at QB, let's start over at least with HC as well so their clocks are aligned and the franchise gets some direction.

Then if that coach and QB fail, we dump them and Schoen. I think that's the most reasonable scenario right now.

EDIT: I wouldn't fire anyone but the OL coach midseason though.

AYM

Quote from: uconnjack8 on November 12, 2023, 06:06:31 PMI have to wonder (and have been since it happened) why another QB wasn't signed to the practice squad when Jones injured his neck.

DeVito starting this game says something about the direction someone wants this team to head. 

The Bears have won a game with a rookie Division II QB.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: AYM on November 12, 2023, 06:07:18 PMOther than a mirage 6-1 start, what has Daboll done to earn a 3rd year? His offense stinks, the defense stinks, the offensive line is miserable, and he's looking pretty much the same as Judge, just without the press conference meltdowns.

The argument I've heard boils down to "we can't continue firing guys after their 2nd year".

But if we're bad enough to go QB in the first round, we're back on the carousel with a rookie QB and a coach on the hot seat. If we're going to start over at QB, let's start over at least with HC as well so their clocks are aligned and the franchise gets some direction.

Then if that coach and QB fail, we dump them and Schoen. I think that's the most reasonable scenario right now.

By the standards of what this franchise has been for the last decade, 2022 was a very good year. We had the 2016 year, but we got smoked in the wildcard round that year. Last year I appreciate that the second half of the regular season was not as good as the first half, but we still posted a winning record and won a road playoff game against a division winner.

I'm not defending the job Daboll has done this year, but I am not supportive of firing a coach for one bad season. Actually it would be a little more than half a season. It's panicky, and it frankly will make high quality coaching candidates less likely to want to work here.

I'd like to see Daboll get a chance with a real QB. He has not had that yet here.

brownelvis54

Daboll stays at least one more year, unless he lost the locker room
The KING is in the building

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 12, 2023, 06:07:10 PMI'm not blaming the QB. He's doing the best he can, and it's unfortunate that the team is in a position where someone with his experience and ability has to actually play. You don't go into a season expecting your first and second stringer to both go down. When that does happen, it's pretty hard to win. Panicking and firing an entire coaching staff in the middle of a season would be a knee-jerk move that would solve nothing.
You think they would fire the coaching staff in the middle of the season? Seriously?
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MagicRat

I don't know that firing Daboll fixes anything.
We've got a depth-less roster, last season was a house of cards.
We stayed healthy and won close games, in many ways, it was the worst thing that could've happened.
This season, we've come into the season seriously under cooked and beyond that, everything that could go wrong has gone wrong.
We need a roster with some depth, it takes time to build that.
Smell my cheese you mother!

Section 101 Steve

Daboll hasn't done a good job this season imo but between the way the schedule came out with all these prime time games and then all the injuries the results were basically expected. We won a game we shouldn't have in Arizona and threw away another game we had no business losing to the jets. What other games did anyone think we were winning the way this roster is now. I'm more upset that schoen after moving Williams didn't move Barkley and a few others for more draft capital to continue rebuilding this team. The only thing I can't figure is if schoen wanted to but was stopped by the meddling John Mara again.
sm

Ed Vette

He has to fire a coach or two because he needs to turn this around somewhat.

The play calling and offensive execution is abysmal.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

The ONLY way Daboll is free after this season is if he clearly loses the locker room.

You don't let a guy who has coached Hurts and Tua at Alabama and Allen in the NFL go. Let him and Schoen pick their guy at QB. Give them a couple of seasons with THEIR guys, then drop the hammer if they don't show improvement.

Gettleman created this 💩 in more than two years. Not fair to expect a new regime to come and right the ship in 2 years with very little talent to work with.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance: