News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Well, as of right now we are picking second overall

Started by DaveBrown74, November 12, 2023, 09:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Even though we beat Arizona earlier this season, we have the edge in the SOS rankings, which comes before head to head apparently:

https://www.tankathon.com/nfl

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 12, 2023, 09:29:25 PMEven though we beat Arizona earlier this season, we have the edge in the SOS rankings, which comes before head to head apparently:

https://www.tankathon.com/nfl

I've been incorrectly making the head-to-head as the first tiebreaker argument, as I read the NFL draft rules incorrectly. Apologies if I confused anyone.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on November 12, 2023, 09:31:48 PMI've been incorrectly making the head-to-head as the first tiebreaker argument, as I read the NFL draft rules incorrectly. Apologies if I confused anyone.

I thought the same. Apparently SOS comes first (when two non-playoff teams have the same record).

Needless to say, it is possible we could finish with the same record as the Cardinals and they pick before us, as the SOS could be different then than it is now. We just don't know. But right now we're ahead of them, FWIW. And I tend to think they're likely to win more games than we do for the rest of this season, now that they have Murray back.

uconnjack8

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 12, 2023, 09:41:27 PMI thought the same. Apparently SOS comes first (when two non-playoff teams have the same record).

Needless to say, it is possible we could finish with the same record as the Cardinals and they pick before us, as the SOS could be different then than it is now. We just don't know. But right now we're ahead of them, FWIW. And I tend to think they're likely to win more games than we do for the rest of this season, now that they have Murray back.

Basically the team that sucked against weaker competition.

MagicRat

At this stage I guess we wonder what Carolina thinks of Young, but Bill is up to no good in New England, looks like they're done winning this season.
Smell my cheese you mother!

Dgoodmantrublu

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MagicRat on November 13, 2023, 12:56:27 AMAt this stage I guess we wonder what Carolina thinks of Young, but Bill is up to no good in New England, looks like they're done winning this season.

The Patriots to me are a much bigger threat (to pick before us) than the Cards at this point. I know everyone thinks Kyler Murray is a bum, but his presence unquestionably makes that team a lot better than it was before.

The Pats legitimately stink, and also we know for certain that they're not a trustworthy organization. They could easily deliberately tank. I will say though, that doesn't really feel like something that a 71 year old Belichick and his five rings would sign up for. Especially if his job is supposedly on the line (which I don't really believe, but people are saying that).

Gmo11

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 13, 2023, 07:44:44 AMThe Patriots to me are a much bigger threat (to pick before us) than the Cards at this point. I know everyone thinks Kyler Murray is a bum, but his presence unquestionably makes that team a lot better than it was before.

The Pats legitimately stink, and also we know for certain that they're not a trustworthy organization. They could easily deliberately tank. I will say though, that doesn't really feel like something that a 71 year old Belichick and his five rings would sign up for. Especially if his job is supposedly on the line (which I don't really believe, but people are saying that).

No coach or player would or could ever throw a game. The front office can put obstacles in their way to help facilitate a loss but on game day those guys are trying to win. Even the Giants though it may not seem that way recently. The Pats are really terrible. But they do have at least one more winnable game on the schedule coming up. That game could very well be for the 2nd pick in the draft. Loser takes all!

Uni

Quote from: MagicRat on November 13, 2023, 12:56:27 AMAt this stage I guess we wonder what Carolina thinks of Young, but Bill is up to no good in New England, looks like they're done winning this season.
The Carolina pick is going to Chicago, so it's a matter of what the Bears think of Justin Fields

zephirus

To clarify on how the order works:

- if ONLY TWO teams have identical records, the winner of the regular-season contest picks after the loser.
- if THREE or more teams have identical records, it's seeded based on strength-of-schedule.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: zephirus on November 13, 2023, 09:15:34 AMTo clarify on how the order works:

- if ONLY TWO teams have identical records, the winner of the regular-season contest picks after the loser.
- if THREE or more teams have identical records, it's seeded based on strength-of-schedule.

Thank you for clarifying this important detail. I didn't realize that about it being two teams versus more than two teams.

SlotCorner

It feels way too early to get excited about having a top-2 pick, but we are already 10 point underdogs to the damn Commies.

The only win I could imagine would be against the Pats, who are extremely dysfunctional. I also wouldn't bet against Belichick righting the ship a little, there is buzz about Kraft being upset. Belichick want's that Shula record.

MagicRat

Quote from: Uni on November 13, 2023, 09:03:16 AMThe Carolina pick is going to Chicago, so it's a matter of what the Bears think of Justin Fields
Ah,of course it is. I forgot that.
Smell my cheese you mother!

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 13, 2023, 11:45:42 AMhttps://x.com/SethWalder/status/1724098539402219755?s=20

Average draft slot of 2.4 is the lowest! Tell Bobby Goodell to stop the count and award the Giants the #1 overall pick immediately.