News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants May Not Be Ready to Move On From DJ

Started by Ed Vette, November 13, 2023, 09:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Dgoodmantrublu

Ralph is stirring up xxxx. He has no sources anymore. It is pretty obvious by their actions that the Giants are going to draft a QB if in position to do so.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 13, 2023, 10:08:53 PMRalph is stirring up xxxx. He has no sources anymore. It is pretty obvious by their actions that the Giants are going to draft a QB if in position to do so.

What actions have they taken that indicate that they will be drafting a QB?
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Dgoodmantrublu

The entire top brass went to scout Caleb and Penix. They have been to North Carolina to scout Drake Maye 5 times. North Carolina doesn't have a lot of other top of other prospects. Is is obvious what is up.

Quote from: AZGiantFan on November 13, 2023, 10:10:59 PMWhat actions have they taken that indicate that they will be drafting a QB?

DaveBrown74

I certainly could envision a scenario where if they don't finish in the top two, they don't have the ability to trade up, and they aren't in love with any other QBs, that they pass on taking a QB in that situation. But man, if they pass on high quality QB prospects they like because they want to keep trying with a player who has done almost nothing but fail on the field and get hurt, then I really don't know what else to say.

JT39

They're not getting rid of Jones after the year- but he ain't starting next year lol

T200

Dumb article.

Quoteit's far from guaranteed that the Giants would actually do it. According to multiple sources, including one inside the Giants, some key people in the organization still have faith in Jones and believe their 26-year-old franchise quarterback can still be their long-term answer.

QuoteThat's not to suggest they won't replace Jones, even though the draft will come less than 14 months after the Giants gave him a four-year, $160 million contract with $81 million guaranteed. They might still do it. In fact, their intention, the team source said, is to prepare as if they will.

To summarize for everyone who didn't read the article: The Giants may or may not draft a QB to replace Jones.  :coach:  :poo:
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

kingm56

Quote from: T200 on November 13, 2023, 10:21:25 PMDumb article.

To summarize for everyone who didn't read the article: The Giants may or may not draft a QB to replace Jones.  :coach:  :poo:

He employed a lot of words to say nothing.  There's a chance the Giants may not draft a QB, although they're likely to...no xxxx.  This is content for the sake of content. 

T200

Quote from: kingm56 on November 13, 2023, 10:39:50 PMHe employed a lot of words to say nothing.  There's a chance the Giants may not draft a QB, although they're likely to...no xxxx.  This is content for the sake of content. 
Hope he gets stuck on that fence.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 13, 2023, 10:13:14 PMThe entire top brass went to scout Caleb and Penix. They have been to North Carolina to scout Drake Maye 5 times. North Carolina doesn't have a lot of other top of other prospects. Is is obvious what is up.

Was not aware of that.  Thanks.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

There is merit in the point the Giants are considering:

QuoteBut they are a long way away from any final decision, and the source acknowledged it might be premature for them to completely give up on Jones after watching him in just six starts this season — including three without running back Saquon Barkley, four without left tackle Andrew Thomas, and behind a disastrous offensive line that got him sacked a ridiculous 30 times.

"It's almost an unfair evaluation," said an NFC scout who has watched the Giants this season. "He was getting battered. He had no time to run an offense before the rush was in his face. He didn't look good. I'm not excusing him. But he didn't have much of a chance.

"And I think they know that."

However, it's hard to look past the injury issues.  Two neck injuries in 3 years and an ACL on a QB who makes many of his plays with his legs make it tough to count on him moving forward. 

I also appreciate the other valid point they made:

QuoteThat's a big risk, because for every C.J. Stroud — who is having an all-time great rookie season in Houston — there is a Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, or even a Bryce Young, who was drafted No. 1 overall last April, but has the Panthers 1-8 and competing for the first overall pick again (which Chicago owns as a result of trading up for Young).

The issue is that such a choice isn't made in a vacuum.   True, there is a risk in drafting a QB, a big one.  There is also a risk riding with a QB with DJ's injury history and uncertainty in his play.

I think the real tie-breaker is the money saved by having a QB on a rookie contract.  The sort of savings that allows a team to build and add badly needed talent.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 14, 2023, 08:24:09 AM"It's almost an unfair evaluation," said an NFC scout who has watched the Giants this season. "He was getting battered. He had no time to run an offense before the rush was in his face. He didn't look good. I'm not excusing him. But he didn't have much of a chance.
I know I'm picking nits but I don't agree with him that it was an "unfair" evaluation. The circumstances were what they were. He was evaluated on how he performed in those given circumstances.

Now, I would have no issue if he said that it was a "less than ideal" evaluation. That has more merit. But I would also counter that the majority of the conditions that NFL QBs face are less than ideal. Bottom line for me is that you play the hand you're dealt. Some players can thrive in less than ideal conditions. Some get swallowed up by them.

Doc16LT56

Quote from: T200 on November 13, 2023, 10:21:25 PMDumb article.

Lol. That about sums it up.

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on November 14, 2023, 08:41:40 AMI know I'm picking nits but I don't agree with him that it was an "unfair" evaluation. The circumstances were what they were. He was evaluated on how he performed in those given circumstances.

Now, I would have no issue if he said that it was a "less than ideal" evaluation. That has more merit. But I would also counter that the majority of the conditions that NFL QBs face are less than ideal. Bottom line for me is that you play the hand you're dealt. Some players can thrive in less than ideal conditions. Some get swallowed up by them.

One thing I noticed was how Tyrod was looking a lot like DJ during his third game before he was hurt.  The QB environment the Giants have created this year simply is not conducive to success. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE