News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Cunningham's law

Started by MightyGiants, November 16, 2023, 01:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

I just learned something interesting today.  It started when I saw this:

I thought this woman was brilliant and shared a great insight into human nature.  Then I learned that it already had a name-  Cunningham's law.

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Cunningham%27s_Law#:%7E:text=Cunningham's%20Law%20states%20%22the%20best,the%20inventor%20of%20wiki%20software
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

This is super interesting. And anecdotally I totally agree with it. People love to correct others. No doubt about it. They trip over themselves to do that. Help someone who actually needs help when nobody else speaks up? Maybe, maybe not. That's viewed as more of a chore, and many don't want to be bothered. But the majority love to correct someone who is clearly wrong.

Great observation and I like that it was made into a law.

T200

I know what I'll be doing from now on!!!
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Ed Vette

That's not true, people are intrinsically capable of helping others.  :smoking:
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 16, 2023, 02:34:12 PMThat's not true, people are intrinsically capable of helping others.  :smoking:

Capable, of course. And many do. But more likely or as quick to just help someone than to correct someone else who is wrong? I'm not so sure about that.

We're taking about strangers on the internet here too. Not your first cousin approaching you for help with something.

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 16, 2023, 02:46:55 PMCapable, of course. And many do. But more likely or as quick to just help someone than to correct someone else who is wrong? I'm not so sure about that.

We're taking about strangers on the internet here too. Not your first cousin approaching you for help with something.
I made the statement based on the premise of the article. You then proved it to be correct.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 16, 2023, 03:39:48 PMI made the statement based on the premise of the article. You then proved it to be correct.

I feel like the law applies to factual answers (like how to fix something in your car). I was stating something more subjective. Plus I said I wasn't so sure, which is different from saying "you're wrong and I'm right."

T200

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 16, 2023, 03:39:48 PMI made the statement based on the premise of the article. You then proved it to be correct.
Too obvious 🤣🤣🤣
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance: