News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Carl Banks pounding the table for an O-line upgrade

Started by MightyGiants, November 17, 2023, 02:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

fromthebside

They need an OL coach upgrade.  They can keep pumping picks and FA resources in to that unit.  But until they fix the coaching for those guys, the Giants are just spitting in to the wind.

afan56

kingm56

Quote from: afan56 on November 17, 2023, 03:00:46 PMCan someone interpret his comments?

Banks is a company man, and has been wrong about so many things over the last several years that I stopped paying attention. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: afan56 on November 17, 2023, 03:00:46 PMCan someone interpret his comments?

The "X,Y and Z" are referring to WR positions

Edit to add-  I suspect "Tommie ain't tanking" is referring to Tommie DeVito and the belief of fans the team will tank and get a 1st or 2nd overall pick.  I am not sure what the Bob has a list refers to, as I haven't had a chance to listen to his latest podcast (the other stuff he has spoke about before)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kingm56

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 17, 2023, 03:05:14 PMThe "X,Y and Z" are referring to WR positions

I think he's referring to this:  *Tommy ain't Tanking* Bob got a list for y'all

Doc16LT56

Quote from: kingm56 on November 17, 2023, 03:03:18 PMBanks is a company man, and has been wrong about so many things over the last several years that I stopped paying attention. 
Yes, not to mention they've been trying to upgrade the OL with the Neal and Schmitz picks. I will start taking Carl Banks seriously again when he acknowledges the deficiencies at the QB position. But he won't do that. He'll wait for the Giants to draft a QB and then pick up his pom poms for the new guy.

Dgoodmantrublu

Carl is so wrong. Teams that wait to make conditions perfect before they take a QB will never find the QB. We have a unique chance to turn the franchise around. Carl and Papa are on this crusade because they refuse to admit how wrong they were and are about Daniel Jones.

Ed Vette

Everyone likes taking a shot at Tommy. I'll watch now just to root for the kid. The only one who had something good to say was Daboll. Probably just a facade until Barkley is up to speed. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

Tommy's not tanking - he's trying his hardest.  But the fact that the Giants are reduced to havng Tommy as the starting QB indicates that Schoen is tanking, IMO.  It's not Tommy's fault, he's just the vehicle.

And as I've been saying all along, the Giants OL problem is not a matter of not putting resources towards it, it is that they have done a poor job of evaluating who to get and an even worse job of coaching them up.  Even Andrew Thomas was nearly ruined by bad coaching.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

SlotCorner

Does anyone think we don't need an OL upgrade? I am not sure what Banks is advocating for here. An upgrade this year?

We've got our LT, which is the only OL position worthy of a top 5 pick and only if its a lock. So if he's saying go OL in addition to whatever you do in the first round, then...sure? It's glaringly obvious. It looks like they may have missed on McKenthan and Glowinski should hang it up, for starters.

MightyGiants

I listened to his podcast (it's a really good episode).   The list Carl is referring to is the historic list of first round QBs and how many bust.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

Carl can be pounding the table for at least a dozen teams who have offensive line issues.