News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Athletic Poll: Met Life Stadium is the worst

Started by DaveBrown74, November 21, 2023, 12:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Giant Jim on November 21, 2023, 06:43:21 PMI know I'm quoting you, but my main motive is to point out to all others that this is poorly researched.

I just feel it's a terrible article. The survey was taken in 2023. The turf was replaced before this season. Are they, or do those 2 players, that feel the turf sucks, talking about the new turf which only a handful of teams have played on, or the older one that was here the past few years? I'm sorry, I just don't find this creditable. No date, anonymous sources, did all the players surveyed play in the NFC east? Was it done with the same number of players from each team?

Understood.

I'm sorry you didn't like the article. On a more important note I sincerely hope you and your family have a nice Thanksgiving.

kingm56

Quote from: TDToomer on November 21, 2023, 02:28:52 PMWe don't need a stadium that looks like a space ship!  Games are unaffordable as it is. Would you buy in on season pass it it quadrupled to cover the expenses? Speak of which who is paying for all this? Mara, Tisch, Woody Johnson or just stick it up the taxpayers butts like they do down South?

What are you talking about?  NJ has one of the highest tax rates in the nation, which is why it cost 1.6 billon dollars to construct MetLife. Moreover, if the taxpayers vote for it, than it's hardly 'sticking it up the taxpayers butt.' Have you been to MetLife?  They stick it up the butts of the fans with thier food/beverage prices, which are higher than most other stadiums.  Your comments regarding the South seem ill-informed.

Relative to it's price, MetLife offers a terrible fan experience.  As someone who's been to almost every stadium in the US, MetLife is in my bottom 5.  For example, Cowboys stadium, which cost less to construct,  offers 10x the fan experience.  The food/beverages are also reasonable.  Las Vegas and Minn are also really nice venues to go watch games; plus, traveling to/from those stadiums are a breeze...

BlueMoshik

MetLife is an abomination. A blight on the landscape. The worst that corporate greed has to offer. Just a deflating, depressing place.

I recently went to see the Patriots at Gillette. A beautiful stadium, pleasant facilities, great atmosphere, and even though the traffic out there is murder on game day, there's even a cheap train that links the stadium directly to South Station in Boston.

DaveBrown74

Agree with posters who note how bad Met Life is if you have been to five or six other stadiums around the league.

It's one thing if you have an old stadium that doesn't have bells and whistles but has "character", like Fenway. But if you're building a new stadium for top dollar and you make it as crappy as Met Life is, that is just inconceivably bad. Plus it's not like they got a bargain for it. Pretty shameful and out of touch.

spiderblue43

Met Life represents unimaginative corporate laziness. With all the money spent on it, at least find Jimmy Hoffa!

:boooo:

TDToomer

Quote from: kingm56 on November 21, 2023, 10:56:44 PMWhat are you talking about?  NJ has one of the highest tax rates in the nation, which is why it cost 1.6 billon dollars to construct MetLife. Moreover, if the taxpayers vote for it, than it's hardly 'sticking it up the taxpayers butt.' Have you been to MetLife?  They stick it up the butts of the fans with thier food/beverage prices, which are higher than most other stadiums.  Your comments regarding the South seem ill-informed.

Relative to it's price, MetLife offers a terrible fan experience.  As someone who's been to almost every stadium in the US, MetLife is in my bottom 5.  For example, Cowboys stadium, which cost less to construct,  offers 10x the fan experience.  The food/beverages are also reasonable.  Las Vegas and Minn are also really nice venues to go watch games; plus, traveling to/from those stadiums are a breeze...

Yes NJ has a high tax rate but taxpayers were not asked to build MetLife. It was on the owners, private investors with the PSL. The reason why taxpayers are not asked is because in the Northeast those referendums tend to fail at the ballot box. I know venues in Florida and Georgia never have a problem getting brand new stadiums funded with tax payer help. Hell the Braves and Falcons tore down venues that weren't even old! So this is what I am talking about. Not effective tax rates.

I have been to MetLife for a AAA College Football game. Ithaca vs Cortland. I had fun. Lots of fun.  :yes:
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

TDToomer

Quote from: BlueMoshik on November 22, 2023, 04:47:52 AMMetLife is an abomination. A blight on the landscape. The worst that corporate greed has to offer. Just a deflating, depressing place.

I recently went to see the Patriots at Gillette. A beautiful stadium, pleasant facilities, great atmosphere, and even though the traffic out there is murder on game day, there's even a cheap train that links the stadium directly to South Station in Boston.

Gillette is nice except it is in the middle of nowhere. It's actually closer to the Providence airport and Logan in Boston. Their parking and concession prices are outrageous but have a great craft beer selection. Their water bottle and umbrella policy is criminal. I have to sneak in an unsealed water bottle at Revolution games. No matter how hard it is raining you are not allowed to bring an umbrella.

And the traffic leaving is some of the worst you ever see.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Philosophers

Quote from: kingm56 on November 21, 2023, 10:56:44 PMWhat are you talking about?  NJ has one of the highest tax rates in the nation, which is why it cost 1.6 billon dollars to construct MetLife. Moreover, if the taxpayers vote for it, than it's hardly 'sticking it up the taxpayers butt.' Have you been to MetLife?  They stick it up the butts of the fans with thier food/beverage prices, which are higher than most other stadiums.  Your comments regarding the South seem ill-informed.

Construction costs are notoriously high in NJ because of the Mob's control over the construction unions which cause both delays (and higher costs particularly interest costs on construction draws) until they get what they want as well as over supplying of labor at job sights with mob friends who do no work.  The South is cheaper because unions have not made the inroads there as well as the mob.

When international companies look to set up a U.S. manufacturing operation, the South is generally their first choice because land is much cheaper, labor is cheaper, no unions and a friendlier business climate than the Northeast.

Philosophers

To build it pretty recently yet have it among the worst (especially relative to much older stadiums) tells you how incompetent the entire team was who was tasked with the design, construction and operation.