News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

New Here....Player Usage Question and Avoiding Injuries

Started by GeauxJints, November 22, 2023, 11:18:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeauxJints

Hey everyone,

New to this community, die hard fan here just looking for rational people to discuss this team with daily.

I was thinking about Saquon's usage the other day and wanted to get your thoughts on it. I read that his contract performance incentives are linked to the team making the playoffs, so essentially he isn't playing for any additional money. That said, he is still taking the brunt of the snaps at the RB position and for the most part, we are putting the rest of these games on his back. What's the point? I know he's a competitor and wants the ball every single snap, but for a guy with an injury history, especially with games left on Metlife turf, wouldn't it make sense to dial back his usage since in reality, he isn't playing to hit bonuses and our season is done in regards to playoffs. Last thing we need is an ACL that will knock him out for the start of next season.

On top of that, I just saw the report yesterday that AT is playing with an MCL strain. Why the hell is he in the game? Yes we need him to win, and tanking isn't a thing to NFL teams (besides Brian Flores), but this seems like an easy way to still "compete" while protecting a high draft pick. How can we risk injuring the best/most important player on our team in meaningless games? Seems kind of insane to me.

MightyGiants

Welcome GJ  :greetings:

I think it's all a matter of perspective. 

From the coach's perspective-  Win every game possible because your job is always at stake.

From Barkley's perspective-  Mixed, he wants to stay healthy, but he is also playing for his next contract

From the GM's perspective-  Mixed, I suspect many GMs would prefer to tank (see Howie Roseman, who tanked the Eagles to gain in the draft).  However, much like Barkley the playing time at least gives him more data even if it's costing him draft capital

Fans-  I would say half share your views while the other half just like seeing NYG win regardless of the big picture

Quote from: GeauxJints on November 22, 2023, 11:18:14 AMHey everyone,

New to this community, die hard fan here just looking for rational people to discuss this team with daily.

I was thinking about Saquon's usage the other day and wanted to get your thoughts on it. I read that his contract performance incentives are linked to the team making the playoffs, so essentially he isn't playing for any additional money. That said, he is still taking the brunt of the snaps at the RB position and for the most part, we are putting the rest of these games on his back. What's the point? I know he's a competitor and wants the ball every single snap, but for a guy with an injury history, especially with games left on Metlife turf, wouldn't it make sense to dial back his usage since in reality, he isn't playing to hit bonuses and our season is done in regards to playoffs. Last thing we need is an ACL that will knock him out for the start of next season.

On top of that, I just saw the report yesterday that AT is playing with an MCL strain. Why the hell is he in the game? Yes we need him to win, and tanking isn't a thing to NFL teams (besides Brian Flores), but this seems like an easy way to still "compete" while protecting a high draft pick. How can we risk injuring the best/most important player on our team in meaningless games? Seems kind of insane to me.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

GeauxJints

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 22, 2023, 11:45:39 AMWelcome GJ  :greetings:

I think it's all a matter of perspective. 

From the coach's perspective-  Win every game possible because your job is always at stake.

From Barkley's perspective-  Mixed, he wants to stay healthy, but he is also playing for his next contract

From the GM's perspective-  Mixed, I suspect many GMs would prefer to tank (see Howie Roseman, who tanked the Eagles to gain in the draft).  However, much like Barkley the playing time at least gives him more data even if it's costing him draft capital

Fans-  I would say half share your views while the other half just like seeing NYG win regardless of the big picture

Hey MG, thanks for the welcome! I get that he's obviously going to want to play, but doesn't there have to be a business decision made by the Coach/GM? Daboll isn't going anywhere after this year, but if this team plays like this again next year, he very well could be gone. Would think he would want to make sure he has a fully healthy squad with potentially HIS qb starting next year?  :-??

Jclayton92

I highly doubt that Barkley is here next season, and we are paying him an absurd 10 million already even though he missed games. So I have no problem with them running him every single snap. I would have preferred they trade him, but since they didn't run him.

Ed Vette

Welcome. I agree with MG's take on your questions. To add, They have to protect Tommy DeVito's blind side because the Guards and JMS are not holding their own. They seem to be of the mindset of developing TD so for him to get injured by not seeing one coming, could mean another QB on IR. AT must be wearing a brace. Matt Peart is eligible to return from IR so if the condition gets worse, they have an option, although not a good one.

As for Saquon, Grey is eligible to return and we saw Breda get more snaps. I would like to see him dialed back if that O-Line would improve their Run Blocking as they did in the second half. If Tommy can elevate the passing game, they can dial SB back. He only had 14 Rushing Snaps against Washington. That's not a heavy load and if he can execute as well as he did in the passing game, they may use him more there. They will never shut him down, paying him $600K per game. He has too much integrity to shut himself down. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

LennG

Welcome to our little corner of the world.

Where on Long Island are you? Myself, I reside in West Hempstead.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jaime

Welcome Rook :Chestram:
I'm in the same Camp as "92", I don't see Barkley back next season. He's an injury prone, long in the tooth RB, that we no longer can rely on. He's going to want to continue to play and have a positive impact in our remaining Games. Basically, he's auditioning for his next Team. Finishing strong & healthy may provide Barkley with enough leverage for a big bucks deal.

As for OT Thomas, if he's cleared to play, you play him.
Same goes for anybody else. Doubt there's anybody on our Team that is 100% this time of the year. Our Bye can't come soon enough.

ozzie

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you joining us.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

Jolly Blue Giant

A hearty welcome to the board. Always enjoy knowledgeable fans joining

I share your original thought. I believe they should be playing backups as much as possible so they can gain valuable NFL experience whilst saving body wear on the starters. I do not share the previous sentiment that Saquon won't be back. I believe he's going to be Giant for life, even if he is unhappy with his salary. It would pay dividends to save his body while finding out what our other backs can do when given the plenty of chances. I would like to see what Jashaun Corbin can do when given a decent amount of touches. After all, this season is a bust. I understand the mentality of the coaches who want to win a game (for their own benefit), but it's obviously disadvantageous to do so...so why not let the bench get in some work and try out some guys on the PS. I also wonder why they are letting Thomas play when he's hurting. No reason to play Russian roulette with our star tackle
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

GeauxJints

Quote from: LennG on November 22, 2023, 02:41:44 PMWelcome to our little corner of the world.

Where on Long Island are you? Myself, I reside in West Hempstead.

I'm out in Bay Shore. Nice to meet ya, and thanks everyone else for the welcome!

Great points, I do however believe Saquon will still be here. I think his leadership alone is too important to lose. I just pray him and AT stay healthy if they are going to keep playing them. Fingers crossed

Painter

Bon jour! As long as you aren't too ragin' a cajun then bienvenue sur BBH. Fais comme chez vous.

At this point, under current circumstances, my thoughts re Barkley's workload over the remaining 6 games are a bit mixed. On the one hand, he is by far their most productive player on Offense and essential to whatever evaluation they must make concerning DeVito's future role. On the other hand, given DJ's 2024 salary cap cost-live and dead-I cannot imagine that they can or will re-sign Saquon.

Thus, I see no incentive in reducing his workload not just for the sake of the Offense, but also to be fair to the Defense, indeed to the entire organization. Beating Washington last Sunday kinda made it a moot point, ne c'est pas?

As for Andrew Thomas's situation, it's pretty clear to me that nothing should be allowed to threaten his future whether or not that might be the case with his recovery from his recent MCL "strain".

While certainly Schoen/Daboll et al now face a number of challenges, none come close to the one whose name is Daniel Jones.

Cheers!