News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Stapleton: QB evaluations

Started by EDjohnst1981, November 27, 2023, 01:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EDjohnst1981

An interesting thread from Art Stapleton. He's extolling the virtues of the Giants brain trust QB development.

Whilst many on here are enjoying the DeVito story, very few of us think he's a full time starting.

My question is, if the Giants are so good at developing the QB - why hasn't Jones kicked onto the next level?

I personally think Stapleton is writing a puff piece but I'm interested to read the views of others.

Thread here: https://x.com/art_stapleton/status/1729205751007039658?s=46&t=AA9Ptl-VPYK0JnuHE-oAWA

T200

IMVHO, developing the QB isn't the issue. Building a competent offensive line is.

However, specific to the QB, Jones needs more around him to be successful than most QBs.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Philosophers

Honestly I don't see much difference between DJ and Tommy.  Make some occasional throws.  Get sacked a lot.  Throw too short on 3rd down.  DJ runs better.

Dgoodmantrublu

Finding a QB is thing one. The OL is a crutch. A truly good QB can overcome mediocre OL play to make plays. Josh Allen's OLs were crap until this season. He finds a way to make plays most weeks. We need a guy on his level or nothing else we have will matter.

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 27, 2023, 01:58:55 PMFinding a QB is thing one. The OL is a crutch. A truly good QB can overcome mediocre OL play to make plays. Josh Allen's OLs were crap until this season. He finds a way to make plays most weeks. We need a guy on his level or nothing else we have will matter.
I would LOVE for us to have a "mediocre OL" sometime this century.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Dgoodmantrublu

They were mediocre last year. Not great. But not nearly as terrible as the Jones followers wants us to believe. Still last in explosive pass plays.

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 27, 2023, 02:13:55 PMThey were mediocre last year. Not great. But not nearly as terrible as the Jones followers wants us to believe. Still last in explosive pass plays.
My definition of mediocre is consistently average. The OL was better last year than this year, but they weren't consistently average.

DJ on the other hand WAS mediocre last year. Which is why we had an above average season.

From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Uni

Quote from: Philosophers on November 27, 2023, 01:56:08 PMHonestly I don't see much difference between DJ and Tommy.  Make some occasional throws.  Get sacked a lot.  Throw too short on 3rd down.  DJ runs better.
DeVito made three stick throws in one game. I don't think Jones has done that in one season. Definitely none this season. The fact that DeVito threw downfield to Hyatt multiple times even if he wasn't wide open already makes him a better QB.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 27, 2023, 02:13:55 PMThey were mediocre last year. Not great. But not nearly as terrible as the Jones followers wants us to believe. Still last in explosive pass plays.

Do you think calling people cultists for not agreeing with your views on Daniel Jones will convince people to agree with you? 

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: Uni on November 27, 2023, 02:18:53 PMDeVito made three stick throws in one game. I don't think Jones has done that in one season. Definitely none this season. The fact that DeVito threw downfield to Hyatt multiple times even if he wasn't wide open already makes him a better QB.
Definitely Ballsier (yes I don't think that's in Websters' but I think you get my point).

Dgoodmantrublu

Maybe not, but it has reached the point of ridiculousness. Eli didn't get this level of fan support in his best years. Jones has not had on truly good season. But let's blame everyone else. I'm tired of watching a crappy product.

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 27, 2023, 02:19:48 PMDo you think calling people cultists for not agreeing with your views on Daniel Jones will convince people to agree with you? 

T200

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 27, 2023, 02:23:52 PMMaybe not, but it has reached the point of ridiculousness. Eli didn't get this level of fan support in his best years. Jones has not had on truly good season. But let's blame everyone else. I'm tired of watching a crappy product.

We all are. But there's no room for negatively labeling a group of folks who feel differently than you.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: T200 on November 27, 2023, 02:39:32 PMWe all are. But there's no room for negatively labeling a group of folks who feel differently than you.

Tim:

Fully agreed, although would it not be accurate to say that the phrase "Jones haters" was commonplace here for years, even for people who said he was just "decent" or "middle of the road"?

T200

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 27, 2023, 02:46:35 PMTim:

Fully agreed, although would it not be accurate to say that the phrase "Jones haters" was commonplace here for years, even for people who said he was just "decent" or "middle of the road"?
You're 100% correct, Dave. Cleaning up a huge mess starts with a bit of debris at a time. Hopefully others chip in and help.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: T200 on November 27, 2023, 02:48:15 PMYou're 100% correct, Dave. Cleaning up a huge mess starts with a bit of debris at a time. Hopefully others chip in and help.

Tim,

100% fair and I agree.