News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The #Jets have designated QB Aaron Rodgers to return from IR

Started by MightyGiants, November 29, 2023, 12:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Rodgers pretty much runs the Jets right now. Clearly it's idiotic from a risk/reward point of view to return to the field this season, but if he wants to, he will. He can basically do what he wants. If any of these coaches oppose him he can basically fire them, and they know it.

Crazy situation.

BluesCruz

If he's fully healed, they can use him

So much is made of the SB but just watching your team win satisfies both players, owners and fans
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

DaveBrown74

Quote from: BluesCruz on November 29, 2023, 01:05:55 PMIf he's fully healed, they can use him

So much is made of the SB but just watching your team win satisfies both players, owners and fans

Accepting even a 1-2% chance of him getting hurt in a game that means absolutely zero, after all they have spent (both $$ and picks) to get him, and after enduring the season they have had to endure, just seems insane to me.

But if he gets cleared I bet it happens.

Ask yourself this question: would you play a player of his value and irreplaceability in four quarters of a preseason game if he rushed back from achilles surgery faster than the normal prognosis?

One could argue these last few games for the Jets mean even less than a preseason game. At least in a preseason game you're preparing for an upcoming season that starts in a few weeks.

If Rodgers rushes back to play weeks 17 and 18 or something, and he gets seriously injured, the Jets will seriously go from being the biggest laughingstocks in the NFL to being not just the biggest laughingstock in professional sports but arguably the biggest laughingstock of any multi billion dollar US entity.

If I'm the Jets I am putting my foot down on this. I would simply not allow him to do it. If he throws he toys and kicks and screams and says he wants out, so be it - there's the door. I would never in a million years sign off on him playing even one snap this season behind this offensive line in meaningless games.

madbadger

So breathtakingly stupid, then again it's the Jets.

uconnjack8

This is one that seems to me the management needs to save the player from himself.  I heard he was pounding the table to come back if he could.  Isn't achilles surgery usually longer than ACL surgery for return? 

For more perspective, the Jets are currently 14th of 16 teams in the AFC with a 4-7 record.  If they won out they would likely make the playoffs, but if they even lose 1 more the odds change drastically.   

nb587

Heard this on a Francesa podcast.  How does anybody bring back early from a serious injury an older immobile QB behind a horrible OL that cannot pass block in meaningless games?  Never mind.  Its the Jet

DaveBrown74

Quote from: nb587 on November 29, 2023, 02:23:27 PMHeard this on a Francesa podcast.  How does anybody bring back early from a serious injury an older immobile QB behind a horrible OL that cannot pass block in meaningless games?  Never mind.  Its the Jet

I agree.

I think the Jets may do it though, not because they think it's a good idea but because they're effectively scared of him.

The move could be for Woody to forbid it and tell everyone their jobs are safe for another year no matter what. But that's kind of ridiculous too. Would you really keep people like Hackett for next year if Rodgers left? Would you even keep Saleh? Why does he deserve another year?

Rodgers seems determined to do it. I think he wants to prove it to himself and others that he can accomplish this "amazing" feat. I don't get the sense that the Jets' being out of the playoffs is part of the equation for him.

Philosophers

Maybe it's just where Rodgers is at age wise thinking that he only has 1-2 years left to play and the rest of his life to recover so he's not worried about injury impact to a remaining 10 year career.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on November 29, 2023, 03:21:28 PMMaybe it's just where Rodgers is at age wise thinking that he only has 1-2 years left to play and the rest of his life to recover so he's not worried about injury impact to a remaining 10 year career.

That may well be the case.. you're right. If that's how he feels though is interests aren't really aligned with the Jets, who have spent a ton to have him there and have an objective of having him get them to a postseason and potentially contend.

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 29, 2023, 03:35:45 PMThat may well be the case.. you're right. If that's how he feels though is interests aren't really aligned with the Jets, who have spent a ton to have him there and have an objective of having him get them to a postseason and potentially contend.

And the Jets think they have a tight window as well.  Let him play now to get back in swing with team plus have a high 1st round draft pick this year then try to contend in 2024.

TDToomer

You guys are forgetting that Rodgers gets the best medical advise and knows what he is doing. He's got Dr. Joe Rogan and that witch doctor in Peru he halucinated with.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Ed Vette

I imagine it's possible he's found a non traceable steroid but has anyone ever questioned if he had the injury prior to the game?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

spiderblue43

What's even more idiotic are fans..media pissed if he doesn't come back for their own selfish interests.

How pathetic the Jets are to allow this to fester. This is NBA star level control..and a precedent they are setting potentially around the league. :boooo:

Fletch

I like the idea. Finally something that isn't like watching paint dry on TV in the NY Sports market or in general actually.  Rodgers should play for no other reason than to see what the Jets need in the off season. IF the Jets offense suddenly plays lights out and hanging 30 on teams, you know it is time to unload Wilson and/ or carry another QB.

Yea wasted roster spot. Need I remind you that Sterling Shepherd is occupying a roster spot here for less reasons that a Contender not wanting a lose that window of opportunity to dvelop a QB that for all we know might be a decent QB playing on a shitty offense.