News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Listening to the Giants Wire Podcast they said Dexter Lawrence made a comment

Started by BluesCruz, December 08, 2023, 07:19:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BluesCruz

that bypassing Tyrod Taylor was an indication we were writing off the season.

Anyone else hear this.  I havent heard that anywhere else

Sounds weird
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

andrew_nyGiants

My rebuttal:

Tyrod Taylor's snap to injury count in the regular season for the Giants is like 25 snaps to each injury.

The idea that he gives us a better chance than Tommy just based on that assertion (which is an educated guess by me in all fairness) alone is erroneous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Doc16LT56

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on December 08, 2023, 11:44:04 AMMy rebuttal:

Tyrod Taylor's snap to injury count in the regular season for the Giants is like 25 snaps to each injury.

The idea that he gives us a better chance than Tommy just based on that assertion (which is an educated guess by me in all fairness) alone is erroneous.

It matters what the players think, though. I don't know what Dex said or didn't say. But if your best player thinks you don't care if you win, then that becomes a problem.

BluesCruz

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on December 08, 2023, 11:44:04 AMMy rebuttal:

Yeah the guy is an injury waiting to happen.  Hes a little long in the tooth.  Its nice the Giants paid him so well.  Youth must be served, is an old expression

Philosophers

On every team there is diversity of thought.  Nobody should be surprised.

BluesCruz

Quote from: Philosophers on December 08, 2023, 12:00:05 PMOn every team there is diversity of thought.  Nobody should be surprised.

Wellllll if he did say it, poor decision. 

Maybe he and Tyrod are good friends and he is defending his buddy

Also, it opens him up to wondering if his hammy is really that bad.

In his mind we have thrown in the towel?  Not good (if he said it)

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on December 08, 2023, 11:54:05 AMIt matters what the players think, though. I don't know what Dex said or didn't say. But if your best player thinks you don't care if you win, then that becomes a problem.
Agreed, that's when you need a strong leader/HC to sell the fact that this is what's best for the team....leaving no doubt.

From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Jclayton92

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 08, 2023, 12:10:48 PMWellllll if he did say it, poor decision. 

Maybe he and Tyrod are good friends and he is defending his buddy

Also, it opens him up to wondering if his hammy is really that bad.

In his mind we have thrown in the towel?  Not good (if he said it)

Why is that a poor decision? It's the truth, Tyrod is a better QB today than Devito.

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 08, 2023, 12:18:58 PMWhy is that a poor decision? It's the truth, Tyrod is a better QB today than Devito.
When he can stay on the field.

Ed Vette

Dex may return this week. Also, I doubt there is any truth to the giving up on the season comment. I don't see it quoted anywhere.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Gmo11

Doesn't seem like something he would say publicly even if he was thinking it privately.  But I can understand that perspective.  From the player's point of view they are risking severe injury every time they put the pads on and if the team isn't interested in winning games why should they take that risk? 

At the same time, losing games today will help win games tomorrow so guys like Dexter who are signed long term already should understand that.  Does he really want another year of Daniel Jones and the pu pu platter at QB or would he perhaps prefer NFL level talent at that position next season? 

Right now he might say he doesn't care about next season but when next season comes around he's gonna be plenty happy watching Daniels run around making plays Jones can only dream of.  And to be honest, he can play up that hamstring injury the rest of the season if he wants to.  No sense in risking something more serious in meaningless games.  For everybody that's going to be here in 2024 the focus should be on 2024 because I honestly don't think the Giants are as far away from contention as it may have seemed at times this season. 

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 08, 2023, 12:18:58 PMWhy is that a poor decision? It's the truth, Tyrod is a better QB today than Devito.

Is he?  Their stats are very similar.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Jclayton92

Quote from: AZGiantFan on December 08, 2023, 12:44:08 PMIs he?  Their stats are very similar.
If their stats are similar then experience should get the nod. Tyrod only got 2 1/3 games vs Devitos 5, but yeah I think the players feel more confident in Tyrod despite health concerns.

BluesCruz

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 08, 2023, 12:57:12 PMIf their stats are similar then experience should get the nod. Tyrod only got 2 1/3 games vs Devitos 5, but yeah I think the players feel more confident in Tyrod despite health concerns.

from where I sit Tommy D is the players choice athough none would bark about a switch to Tyrod
who would only last a game or 2 if that

I personally cannot forgive Tyrod for either brainfahrting, or simply giving  his former team the Bills a gift win with a horrific, dumb audible to a run with no timeouts.  Inexcusable and no explaination BTW

MightyGiants

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 08, 2023, 07:19:45 AMthat bypassing Tyrod Taylor was an indication we were writing off the season.

Anyone else hear this.  I havent heard that anywhere else

Sounds weird

What's even weirder is I can't find any indication that Dexter ever said this
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE