News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

As of right now, we are picking 5th overall:

Started by DaveBrown74, December 10, 2023, 07:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: AZGiantFan on December 12, 2023, 12:24:12 PMhttps://www.nfl.com/standings/tie-breaking-procedures

This is a mess to slog through (and organized poorly), but I believe the operative language comes from the "Tie-Breaking Procedure For Selection Meeting" section. It states that the draft order of non-playoff teams is in reverse-standings order (i.e. worst is first), then notes:

QuoteIf ties exist in any grouping, such ties shall be broken by figuring the aggregate won-lost-tied percentage of each involved club's regular-season opponents and awarding preferential selection order to the club that faced the schedule of teams with the lowest aggregate won-lost-tied percentage.

... which is a fancy way to say strength-of-schedule. If you have a perfect tie in SOS, then you go on to other tiebreakers (which are convoluted).

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on December 12, 2023, 12:43:52 PMIf Giants decide to not draft a QB due to play of DeVito or some other reason and want to build around existing QB and they end up picking 8th or so, I think several prospects come into play:

1) Brock Bowers - he is Jeremy Shockey 2.0 without the baggage.  Given oft-injured Waller and mediocre athleticism of Bellinger, he slots right into being a productive starter.

2) Defensive Player - sorry but I don't see one this high at this stage, even Jared Verse from FSU.

3) WR - here is also where I see the Giants targeting.  With Harrison gone, I can see them taking Keon Coleman, Brian Thomas or Malik Nabers here.  Given play of both Robinson and Hyatt, adding that third WR weapon could make sense given strength of board.

3) OT Prospect - I do not believe the Giants are ready to love on from Neal so believe if Alt, Latham, etc are abailable, the Giants pass.

4) Trade back - this may be a very likely scenario given WR depth plus other positions like Guard where they can address later.  More picks the better for an oft injured team.

Good stuff.

Curious - what do you not like about Verse as a high first round prospect. Guy seems like a pure stud to me and he has been great in both his years at FSU. I also kind of like that he is a bit of a late bloomer (started his college career at Albany and then got picked up by FSU and crushed it there). I'd be a little leery if he were just ok in his first year at FSU and then good this past year, but he put up big numbers both years and was on the radar going into this season. I'm not saying you're wrong, but what do you not like about him?

I'd be wide open to taking Bowers if we're not taking a QB and are picking something like 8th or 9th. That guy has been pop-off-the-screen elite to me since I laid eyes on him. I think he is a franchise-altering talent in the Gronk/Kelce mode.

katkavage

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 12, 2023, 01:14:30 PMGood stuff.

Curious - what do you not like about Verse as a high first round prospect. Guy seems like a pure stud to me and he has been great in both his years at FSU. I also kind of like that he is a bit of a late bloomer (started his college career at Albany and then got picked up by FSU and crushed it there). I'd be a little leery if he were just ok in his first year at FSU and then good this past year, but he put up big numbers both years and was on the radar going into this season. I'm not saying you're wrong, but what do you not like about him?

I'd be wide open to taking Bowers if we're not taking a QB and are picking something like 8th or 9th. That guy has been pop-off-the-screen elite to me since I laid eyes on him. I think he is a franchise-altering talent in the Gronk/Kelce mode.
If the Giants don't or can't go QB in the first round based on their draft position, I stick to defense and/or trade down for more picks. I would not take a top ten receiver unless he is Harrison Jr and I believe he will be a top five pick. I also would not spend a high pick on a tight end or offensive line. The offensive line payroll will be costly in the future if they do and take away from other needs.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: katkavage on December 12, 2023, 01:19:05 PMIf the Giants don't or can't go QB in the first round based on their draft position, I stick to defense and/or trade down for more picks. I would not take a top ten receiver unless he is Harrison Jr and I believe he will be a top five pick. I also would not spend a high pick on a tight end or offensive line. The offensive line payroll will be costly in the future if they do and take away from other needs.

I have to study these other receivers Phil mentioned more closely. I'm familiar with them and have watched them play, but I want to get a better understanding of just how good they are no matter where the various mocks are putting them at the moment.

There have been years where taking the 2nd and 3rd wide receiver off the board in the top 10 has been a good move (see Jaylen Waddle and Devonta Smith). I'm not closed to the idea, although I generally agree that this is a position where you can usually find good ones in the second round, and we have two second round picks. Looking at this last year, guys like Tank Dell and Puka Nacua were mid to later round picks, while the top WR in the class (Quentin Johnston) has been underwhelming so far.

It's a funny position in that it is a premium position in terms of pay scale, but there are frequently good ones available beyond day one and sometimes even day two. So the Giants should not (and I think will not) force the issue just because they desire a specific position.

Dumpster Dan

I have read EVERY post today, some twice and I didnt know which one to reply to  so I picked this one--I have so much respect for all of you and the varied opinions  but I have a favor to ask

I would love to hear how all of you think we are going to get the elite QB you all (at least most of you, including me)want  when we are picking 10-12  because that's  about where we will be picking.

Are we so immune to the word "playoffs" that it is a forbidden word?  Have any of you really spent any amount of time on the remaining four games and how they might play out and determine if the Giants can now be in the playoff talk legitimately?

I am not saying that they are at this stage a playoff team or definitely beyond that but todays NFL is what it is--Do any of you realize how 'MATHEMATICALLY" last nights victory changed the playoff talk?  Cant we spend a little time on that today?  Do any of you understand that we can LOSE next week to the Saints but still be in the hunt and win next week vs the Saints and LOSE to the Rams and it is over?  Then we can IMHO talk about draft position and how we are going to get the elite QB we all pine for

I totally understand that the vast difference in ages between me and many of you makes it that much easier to talk about the future--Many of you will have many many more seasons to hope and die for a elite QB.  I am more focused on the now--and the now for me TODAY is that 7th spot in the seeding.  What would some of you think if I told you that a very wild scenario would put the Giants in the 6th spot? Crazy huh??

So I am seriously asking for you knowledgeable fans to help me in figuring out how do we get that elite QB when we are picking close to middle of the pecking order?

Thanks

Dumpster Dan

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: Dumpster Dan on December 12, 2023, 02:49:58 PMI have read EVERY post today, some twice and I didnt know which one to reply to  so I picked this one--I have so much respect for all of you and the varied opinions  but I have a favor to ask

I would love to hear how all of you think we are going to get the elite QB you all (at least most of you, including me)want  when we are picking 10-12  because that's  about where we will be picking.

Are we so immune to the word "playoffs" that it is a forbidden word?  Have any of you really spent any amount of time on the remaining four games and how they might play out and determine if the Giants can now be in the playoff talk legitimately?

I am not saying that they are at this stage a playoff team or definitely beyond that but todays NFL is what it is--Do any of you realize how 'MATHEMATICALLY" last nights victory changed the playoff talk?  Cant we spend a little time on that today?  Do any of you understand that we can LOSE next week to the Saints but still be in the hunt and win next week vs the Saints and LOSE to the Rams and it is over?  Then we can IMHO talk about draft position and how we are going to get the elite QB we all pine for

I totally understand that the vast difference in ages between me and many of you makes it that much easier to talk about the future--Many of you will have many many more seasons to hope and die for a elite QB.  I am more focused on the now--and the now for me TODAY is that 7th spot in the seeding.  What would some of you think if I told you that a very wild scenario would put the Giants in the 6th spot? Crazy huh??

So I am seriously asking for you knowledgeable fans to help me in figuring out how do we get that elite QB when we are picking close to middle of the pecking order?

Thanks

Dumpster Dan

Personally, I don't see how they get into the Elite QB range from outside the top 4.

I'm not immune to the playoff talk but if they win next week than that chat will grow, although it does mean they likely have to beat the eagles twice. Which seems massively unlikely.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Dumpster Dan on December 12, 2023, 02:49:58 PMI have read EVERY post today, some twice and I didnt know which one to reply to  so I picked this one--I have so much respect for all of you and the varied opinions  but I have a favor to ask

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Dumpster Dan

Dan,

Obviously one does not just "go get" an elite QB. I don't feel that has been suggested anywhere. I think every fan here understands that's not how it works.

What a team that is without a clear elite QB can (and, in my opinion, should) do is be on the lookout for QB prospects they have a high opinion of and be prepared to take them if and when the opportunity avails itself. That doesn't mean that opportunity will avail itself every year, and I don't think that was suggested. Did you read a post suggesting we should force a pick on a QB we don't have a high rating on?

I will just speak for myself here: if there are no QBs available to the Giants that they believe have potential to be near-elite or elite in this league, then we should not take one. I have said that in other threads (multiple times in recent days), but I am clarifying it again just so there is no doubt.

I would just add a final point: you don't need to necessarily be picking in the top 5 to get a QB who ends up being elite. It obviously helps your cause significantly, but it is not an automatic prerequisite. So there is that to keep in mind as well.

Dumpster Dan

ED and DB

My apologies--I guess I need to read the posts yet again another time

The title of the thread is we are currently picking 5th--and most of the talk was about a QB so I connected the two--I guess I shouldnt have.  Are you telling me DB that there hasnt been talk on here about getting that elite QB or else the Giants are going nowhere?

And ED just an  FYI--I believe that the Giants can split (agree a massive order) with the Eagles and make the playoffs

Dumpster Dan

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Dumpster Dan on December 12, 2023, 03:06:15 PMED and DB

My apologies--I guess I need to read the posts yet again another time

The title of the thread is we are currently picking 5th--and most of the talk was about a QB so I connected the two--I guess I shouldnt have.  Are you telling me DB that there hasnt been talk on here about getting that elite QB or else the Giants are going nowhere?

And ED just an  FYI--I believe that the Giants can split (agree a massive order) with the Eagles and make the playoffs

Dumpster Dan

Dan,

Again I will only speak for myself.

Yes, there is plenty of QB talk in this thread. No, I did not say we are "going nowhere" without an elite QB. I said I think it very difficult to win Super Bowls without elite or near elite QB play in the modern NFL. I think it is fair to say that the result of the last 10-15 years attest pretty clearly to that.

I believe a struggling franchise can still get materially better without an elite QB. And there is no reason not to take that path if one is not available.

I have consistently said that I don't want the Giants to draft a QB unless they are high on one who is available to them. The likelihood of that being the case clearly decreases if we're picking 10th-12th versus 3rd-5th, but I don't think it precludes it.

I hope the above, along with the previous post, helps clarify my views.

SlotCorner

It is extremely hard to win a championship in the NFL without an elite QB, full stop. I want the Giants to win every game, but I am not sure what else there is to talk about with fans that cannot acknowledge this very simple fact about the NFL.

Is Daniel Jones an elite QB? Is there anyone on the roster that is? If not, then the Giants need to get one. There are a couple ways to get a QB, some more risky than others. Until the Giants have their franchise guy, the discussions on how to get one will continue.

Going to the playoffs this year, which is an extreme long shot, just to get housed again by the Cowboys or the Eagles because we cannot score accomplishes nothing for the long term although it will be fun in the short term. 

nb587

Quote from: Bob In PA on December 11, 2023, 10:02:11 AMDB: One thing that changed (for the Giants) yesterday.  The Eagles likely will have to win both games against the Giants to win the division, or, if not to win the division, to qualify for best NFC record and the bye. So even though I never root against the Giants, if we do win, THEY will have no excuse if we beat them (like saying they were resting their players) and the win will be sweet if it knocks them out of contention for NFC-East first-place or the bye, or both. Bob
The Eagles are clearly not as good as they were when we last played them and they dominated.  I am not in the camp of rooting for losses early in the season and that train has already left the station so a win against the Eagles would be so sweet.  But, right now, we should be thinking of playing the Saints on the road and the Saints are a team that needs a win.

coggs

Quote from: AZGiantFan on December 12, 2023, 12:24:12 PMhttps://www.nfl.com/standings/tie-breaking-procedures
Let me re-phrase, 1st tie-breaker for draft is SOS. 

3. If ties exist in any grouping, such ties shall be broken by figuring the aggregate won-lost-tied percentage of each involved club's regular-season opponents and awarding preferential selection order to the club that faced the schedule of teams with the lowest aggregate won-lost-tied percentage.

4. If ties still exist, apply the Divisional, Conference or Interconference tie-breaking methods, whichever is applicable.