News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Something to Compare

Started by Philosophers, December 14, 2023, 10:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

In Eli's first season he started 7 games.  He completed 48% of his passes for 1,043 yards (149 yards per game) 6 TDs and 9 INTs.  He was sacked only 13 times.

I am reading from some folks here that DeVito is not it based in what several games?

Well look at Eli's stats after 7 games on a better team (much better OL) and ask yourself, "how did he ultimately work out?"

Let's give the kid a chance before making such strong conclusions.

uconnjack8

In Elis 1st 5 games, 4 of the opponents were in the top 6 that year for scoring defense.  Not sure how Devitos competition compares.

Eli was playing on a pretty good team when he took the reigns, at least as compared to this one. 

To be clear, I have no idea what DeVito's ceiling is. Just not sure what drawing that comparison really shows us. 

Eli was the 1st overall pick and Devito wasnt drafted.   A world apart on expectations or at least it should be.

Bob In PA

A good issue raised, and a good response in rebuttal.
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Philosophers

Quote from: uconnjack8 on December 15, 2023, 07:41:06 AMIn Elis 1st 5 games, 4 of the opponents were in the top 6 that year for scoring defense.  Not sure how Devitos competition compares.

Eli was playing on a pretty good team when he took the reigns, at least as compared to this one. 

To be clear, I have no idea what DeVito's ceiling is. Just not sure what drawing that comparison really shows us. 

Eli was the 1st overall pick and Devito wasnt drafted.   A world apart on expectations or at least it should be.

The comparison is he came out slow and developed.  Still only got sacked 13 times so he had time to put up numbers.  Same can happen (or not) with DeVito so why not give him a chance and not conclude anything.  Giants end of season games will be against some good teams.  Let's see how the kid does.

DragonSoul

Quote from: Philosophers on December 14, 2023, 10:56:46 PMIn Eli's first season he started 7 games.  He completed 48% of his passes for 1,043 yards (149 yards per game) 6 TDs and 9 INTs.  He was sacked only 13 times.

I am reading from some folks here that DeVito is not it based in what several games?

Well look at Eli's stats after 7 games on a better team (much better OL) and ask yourself, "how did he ultimately work out?"

Let's give the kid a chance before making such strong conclusions.
His rookie season, he faced the top 5/10 defenses of 5 out of 7 weeks if I recall, when he made his debut. No rookie faced that. It was Falcons, Eagles, Skins, Ravens, Steelers, Cincinnati and Dallas.

I remember how people were ripping him (again people love out of context) lol. Then he had the last game vs the cowboys.

I like TD in the preseason and stated if anyone recalls that he should be our backup over TT. I also said the game he played and we lost in OT b/c the coaches wouldn't let him play that he should've been throwing that ball in the 4th quarter not in OT for his first throws.

His line is much different then the 2 previous QBs had and getting hit year after year affects everyone at some point. Be interesting to see what comes out of this. Like any Giants QB that's starting for us, I wish them well.

Philosophers

Giants were a better team with a much better roster so playing better defenses mattered less when your own team is also better.  Eli started slow, developed and we got good QB play.  Maybe TD can have a similar trajectory or maybe not. 

DragonSoul

Quote from: Philosophers on December 15, 2023, 01:53:44 PMGiants were a better team with a much better roster so playing better defenses mattered less when your own team is also better.  Eli started slow, developed and we got good QB play.  Maybe TD can have a similar trajectory or maybe not. 
His line was good, but got better through the years, till their last SB win, when they needed to already address that issue and more than a decade later we are still trying to address that issue. The surrounding pieces were better around Eli. That does help, but you can't take away what top defenses do to a QB and the offense itself as well.

Again, I have no reason not to support TD. Let's see what he can do. Hopefully good things. If not we can hope this time off and next off season they finally complete the oline, because no matter the QB, if the oline sucks, eventually the qb will suck as well.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Philosophers on December 15, 2023, 01:20:54 PMThe comparison is he came out slow and developed.  Still only got sacked 13 times so he had time to put up numbers.  Same can happen (or not) with DeVito so why not give him a chance and not conclude anything.  Giants end of season games will be against some good teams.  Let's see how the kid does.

I agree no one should be drawing conclusions about him right now.

I think the only one who needs to give him a chance, Brian Daboll, is doing that.

I haven't seen anyone on here call for his benching.  Some have given opinions that he is not starter material, but that seems pretty irrelevant since they have no say on who plays QB.  I dont see their opinions as invalid or any differently than the opinions of those who have dubbed him as the next franchise QB.

BluesCruz

what's unnerving are all the people predicting Tommys ultimate demise

bemoaning the fact he was not ranked top 10 qb coming out of college

He was in the running for the Heisman in 2018

its all conjecture and ballderdash

Tommy's NFL story is yet to be written...its a work in process and DeVito gets better week after week and taking the team on his back

I suppose some people cannot handle success or finding out or fearful they were dead wrong

enjoy the ride and dont worry about his future.  Giants management will make that call
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on December 15, 2023, 01:20:54 PMThe comparison is he came out slow and developed.  Still only got sacked 13 times so he had time to put up numbers.  Same can happen (or not) with DeVito so why not give him a chance and not conclude anything.  Giants end of season games will be against some good teams.  Let's see how the kid does.

Many fans were unable to or refused to conclude anything about Daniel Jones after 59 starts. Will people make conclusions about DeVito after 8?

Jclayton92

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 15, 2023, 03:08:39 PMwhat's unnerving are all the people predicting Tommys ultimate demise

bemoaning the fact he was not ranked top 10 qb coming out of college

He was in the running for the Heisman in 2018

its all conjecture and ballderdash

Tommy's NFL story is yet to be written...its a work in process and DeVito gets better week after week and taking the team on his back

I suppose some people cannot handle success or finding out or fearful they were dead wrong

enjoy the ride and dont worry about his future.  Giants management will make that call
Would love for you to pinpoint where anyone said any of that?