News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Offensive Line Frustrations

Started by bldevil, December 17, 2023, 07:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

The Eagles picked up Phillips on their practice squad after the Giants released him and although he came back a better player, he is the starting Giants RT after the Eagles didn't think enough of him to keep him.

Just wrap your head around that for a moment.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

TDToomer

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 18, 2023, 12:31:00 PMThe Eagles picked up Phillips on their practice squad after the Giants released him and although he came back a better player, he is the starting Giants RT after the Eagles didn't think enough of him to keep him.

Just wrap your head around that for a moment.

Yep. Some of our starters are scout players on good teams.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Philosophers on December 18, 2023, 11:42:33 AM76 sacks in 14 games.  I don't think you can go back to another season and find as many sacks after 14 games.  DeVito and Jones have thrown the same amount of passes (160) with the former getting sacked 30 times and the latter 35 times.

Interesting.  So much for the (false?) narrative that TD is better than DJ at avoiding sacks.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Philosophers

Quote from: AZGiantFan on December 18, 2023, 01:44:53 PMInteresting.  So much for the (false?) narrative that TD is better than DJ at avoiding sacks.

Yeah exactly.  Any QB will be under siege behind that OL.  Nobody will be a top 10 QB behind that OL.  We have to fix that OL.  Drafting a QB will not result in materially better QB play without investing more in our OL.

Every other position group (aside from OL and QB) can survive another year but we have to fix it until it works.

files58

I've been thinking about the following for several weeks. Together with the advent of the Tush Push, there has been a great deal of pushing the pile sometimes for 5-10 yards before the RB is finally stopped both in College and pros. A Center, 4 Sumo wrestlers make up the line, a blocking fullback in the style of Carthon, and a big running back. Just maul, and smash your way down the field. Giant Football is smashmouth. That's the ultimate smashmouth. Parts of American Football seem to be taking on the characteristics of Rugby, and or Australian Rules Football. B/t/w in those two games few seem to get hurt at scrum time. How much fun would we all have watching the Eagles, and Pokes get ground into ground beef. Think how loud our stadium would be. 

Jclayton92

The Giants fan base seems to be split. Most wanting a new Quarterback, and a lot wanting the Oline fixed.

It's not an either/or proposition, so it's perplexing that the fan base is thinking of it that way.

We can draft a stud Qb and still draft Olinemen or sign Olinemen. Doing 1 doesn't mean we still can't do the other as well.

I think a new Oline Coach, and new Qb do wonders for the team before we even discuss additions which we do need.

bldevil

I think we also need a new strength and conditioning coach.

You don't need much talent (foot dexterity, hip flexibility, etc.) to convert 3rd-and-1.  You just got to push the guy across from you just a little bit.

Our guys get pushed around on the LOS. all the time, especially in short yardage situations.  I just don't think they're as physically prepared as other Olines.
"17-14 fellas.  One touchdown and we are world champions.  Believe it and it will happen!  17-14 is the final.  Let's go!"  Michael Strahan, with 2:39 remaining in SB42.

Ed Vette

Quote from: files58 on December 18, 2023, 02:56:33 PMI've been thinking about the following for several weeks. Together with the advent of the Tush Push, there has been a great deal of pushing the pile sometimes for 5-10 yards before the RB is finally stopped both in College and pros. A Center, 4 Sumo wrestlers make up the line, a blocking fullback in the style of Carthon, and a big running back. Just maul, and smash your way down the field. Giant Football is smashmouth. That's the ultimate smashmouth. Parts of American Football seem to be taking on the characteristics of Rugby, and or Australian Rules Football. B/t/w in those two games few seem to get hurt at scrum time. How much fun would we all have watching the Eagles, and Pokes get ground into ground beef. Think how loud our stadium would be. 
Get five Sumo wrestlers.

I think there will be a no rugby rule coming next season.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

Quote from: AZGiantFan on December 18, 2023, 01:44:53 PMInteresting.  So much for the (false?) narrative that TD is better than DJ at avoiding sacks.
I don't think it's that TD Tommy is better at avoiding sacks as much as it was that Tommy still looks downfield and makes throws versus Daniel checking down to his closest receiver.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

TDToomer

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 18, 2023, 07:22:28 PMGet five Sumo wrestlers.

I think there will be a no rugby rule coming next season.

You mean outlawing the Tush Push?
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Ed Vette

~ Coach Tom Coughlin

babywhales

Quote from: Philosophers on December 18, 2023, 11:42:33 AM76 sacks in 14 games.  I don't think you can go back to another season and find as many sacks after 14 games. 

With the GMen you can not.  

However, the 1986 Eagles gave up 104 sacks in 16 games with Jaws and Cunningham behind center
96 of those were in the first 14 games. 

and that is the list of teams that have given up more sacks in 14 games than the current 2023 Giants

I doubt the Giants will give up 28 sacks in the next 2 games to take the record, or even the next three 

So there you have it, the Giants 2023 Oline is the 2nd worst line in the history of the NFL

"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 18, 2023, 05:35:32 PMThe Giants fan base seems to be split. Most wanting a new Quarterback, and a lot wanting the Oline fixed.

It's not an either/or proposition, so it's perplexing that the fan base is thinking of it that way.

We can draft a stud Qb and still draft Olinemen or sign Olinemen. Doing 1 doesn't mean we still can't do the other as well.

I think a new Oline Coach, and new Qb do wonders for the team before we even discuss additions which we do need.

Fix one of the worst O-lines in the NFL and get an elite QB all in one offseason, drafting 7th (give or take a couple of slots) with one extra 2nd rounder and minus a 7th rounder for 7 total draft picks.  The Giants are higher middle of the pack with $35 million cap space (while having McKinney, Jackson, Barkley, Taylor, Robinson, and Simmons as free agents).

I suspect this task is easier said than done.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 19, 2023, 09:44:03 AMFix one of the worst O-lines in the NFL and get an elite QB all in one offseason, drafting 7th (give or take a couple of slots) with one extra 2nd rounder and minus a 7th rounder for 7 total draft picks.  The Giants are higher middle of the pack with $35 million cap space (while having McKinney, Jackson, Barkley, Taylor, Robinson, and Simmons as free agents).

I suspect this task is easier said than done.
Many of us suspect that the biggest issue with the offensive line, outside of health, is the line coach. But Johnson and Kafka need to be replaced, at a minimum.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Doc16LT56

Upgrading the QB position is a must. Ideally you'd be in a position to draft an elite QB prospect. We'll see if that's an option.

The year they drafted Eli, they also drafted Chris Snee. This OL is in need of an elite mauler like Snee at the IOL. Having a guy like that opens up the run game and helps make the line look better. That was supposed to be Will Hernandez but he was a miss. They need to go back to the well and find that Chris Snee type. They may have a shot to get their Eli/Snee this year. Time will tell.

One more thing I'll add, Will Hernandez is playing better in Arizona than he did here. Jon Feliciano is playing better in San Francisco than he did here. The Giants need to study this issue and understand why OL players go elsewhere and play better. The easy answer is the OL coach. That may be part of the answer but I suspect there's more to it than that.