News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants have 9 losing seasons out of the past 11

Started by MightyGiants, December 18, 2023, 09:34:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EDjohnst1981

Surely the o-line drop off is down to the CBA and the lack of padded practices.

Same for grabby players in the secondary?

You can't teach this technique in shells (coming from someone 4,000 miles away and never padded up so not attacking, just asking).

spiderblue43

Mara is meddlesome...too. Barkley is his pet, for example..Jones another. Neopotism permeates during his ownership. Cronies get a pass (Ronnie Barnes) as well. And he gave loyal fans that awful stadium as a bonus.

The results speak for themselves.

:sick:

zephirus

Quote from: spiderblue43 on December 18, 2023, 05:01:43 PMMara is meddlesome...too. Barkley is his pet, for example..Jones another. Neopotism permeates during his ownership. Cronies get a pass (Ronnie Barnes) as well. And he gave loyal fans that awful stadium as a bonus.

The results speak for themselves.

:sick:

You know, I've studied and studied this phenomena and I still don't get it.  Stadiums and the presences of NFL teams have shown almost uniformly that they do not: stimulate the local economy, create jobs or make the destination a more desirable tourist attraction.  They typically don't generate huge tax dollars. 

I totally understand why NFL owners try to negotiate some monies towards a new stadium be footed by the public - it doesn't cost them anything to ask/demand and the return can be huge in terms of offsetting the cost.  My question is why do public servants and politicians cede to those demands, or in the event a team is moving, like the Rams did a few years back - why a new location would jump for joy and throw money at them to move?

Totally baffling to me.  I'm of the opinion that no public monies should ever go towards the building/maintenance of an entertainment venue.  If owners want to try to push that cost on their consumers via PSLs, that's their right but I sure as xxxx wouldn't sign up for that.  The corporations can buy those up and give them away and your fan base will be fair-weather fans and one-time only attendees, not die-hards.

bldevil

Agree with you on stadiums.  Public money should not go towards them.  The economic analyses show that the spending impact pretty much cannibalizes entertainment spending that would otherwise be spent in the same city but at different locations and at different times.  But the Giants are one of the few (only?) franchises to not get public funding for a stadium.

Another take on the original post.  I believe (this is armchair speculation) that Mara has less wealth outside of the team than most other owners.  (This needs to be checked.) I think that means he is more conservative with his decisions than other owners.  That could lead to going with safer choices which also leads to over-reliance on people you personally know.  Like hiring Mac-A-Don't.
"17-14 fellas.  One touchdown and we are world champions.  Believe it and it will happen!  17-14 is the final.  Let's go!"  Michael Strahan, with 2:39 remaining in SB42.

files58

The 2023 value of the Giants is 6.8 Billion. John share is half that. No need to be conservative, and safe with choices.

katkavage

Quote from: files58 on December 18, 2023, 08:21:28 PMThe 2023 value of the Giants is 6.8 Billion. John share is half that. No need to be conservative, and safe with choices.
It's not about the money.

coggs

Quote from: bldevil on December 18, 2023, 06:46:37 PMAgree with you on stadiums.  Public money should not go towards them.  The economic analyses show that the spending impact pretty much cannibalizes entertainment spending that would otherwise be spent in the same city but at different locations and at different times.  But the Giants are one of the few (only?) franchises to not get public funding for a stadium.

Another take on the original post.  I believe (this is armchair speculation) that Mara has less wealth outside of the team than most other owners.  (This needs to be checked.) I think that means he is more conservative with his decisions than other owners.  That could lead to going with safer choices which also leads to over-reliance on people you personally know.  Like hiring Mac-A-Don't.
I have read the same about the Maras.  Almost all of their money is the team. 

coggs

Quote from: files58 on December 18, 2023, 08:21:28 PMThe 2023 value of the Giants is 6.8 Billion. John share is half that. No need to be conservative, and safe with choices.
Yes, but that $3.4B is not in actual liquid assets unless they sell.  Cash flow and annual income is a concern for them.