News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

DeVito to start again XMas Day

Started by Ed Vette, December 18, 2023, 09:56:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

Looks like he's being groomed to be the backup next season under Daniel Jones and Daboll wants him prepared in case he has to start the season.

If he was garbage like some of the itoldyouso QB Gurus we have here, they would be starting Tyrod and discussing a contract extension.

Of course what does Daboll know. He hasn't been posting on a Football Forum for the past 20 years.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

coggs

1) they are not playing at home.

2) they are not grooming for anything.  Daboll knows they have no chance of winning this game, so play the kid.

3) Daboll knows he sucks, but he is playing the hand he is dealt.

4) They can find someone cheaper and better than Taylor as a back-up, so need to extend him. 

T200

It's the right move, IMHO. I firmly believe that Jones won't be ready to start the season. The game 1 starter will either be TD Tommy or the rookie they draft.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

coggs

Quote from: T200 on December 18, 2023, 10:30:48 AMIt's the right move, IMHO. I firmly believe that Jones won't be ready to start the season. The game 1 starter will either be TD Tommy or the rookie they draft.
So, you are accepting a loss on opening day next year?

katkavage

It's a no brainer for him to start
 They need to see much more from him. Whether he survives the game is another issue.

T200

Quote from: coggs on December 18, 2023, 10:31:53 AMSo, you are accepting a loss on opening day next year?
Accepting or expecting? If they lose, I have no choice but to accept it. I have no challenge flags  =))

I don't even know the schedule, who's going to be on the roster, how they will look in camp and pre-season, or what state the opposition will be in.

DaveBrown74

I personally think Taylor is not coming back. Given that, and given the season is now 100% over, there really is no point in starting him over DeVito. DeVito has a not unrealistic chance of having some sort of career as an NFL backup, possibly for the Giants. It makes sense to continue to gather data on him.

Ed Vette

Quote from: coggs on December 18, 2023, 10:30:42 AM1) they are not playing at home.

2) they are not grooming for anything.  Daboll knows they have no chance of winning this game, so play the kid.

3) Daboll knows he sucks, but he is playing the hand he is dealt.

4) They can find someone cheaper and better than Taylor as a back-up, so need to extend him. 
Yes, it's not a home game. Thanks for the correction.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Gmo11

Quote from: coggs on December 18, 2023, 10:31:53 AMSo, you are accepting a loss on opening day next year?

Not if Daniels is starting!

Ed Vette

Quote from: T200 on December 18, 2023, 10:34:03 AMAccepting or expecting? If they lose, I have no choice but to accept it. I have no challenge flags  =))

I don't even know the schedule, who's going to be on the roster, how they will look in camp and pre-season, or what state the opposition will be in.
The interesting thing will be after the Eagles kick the xxxx out of the Giants, will Daboll start Tyrod the remaining two games? I don't know why they didn't have a plan for DeVito to have a short game. It's clear now that opposing Defenses will blitz and contain Tommy while isolating the coverage on Man. I know they want him to read through his progressions but they're killing themselves because they can't run the ball and he's looking down field on everything and not hitting his checkdowns. He's been waiting for his men to get open and it wasn't there yesterday. His protection was pure crap yesterday too!
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

coggs

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 18, 2023, 10:59:46 AMThe interesting thing will be after the Eagles kick the xxxx out of the Giants, will Daboll start Tyrod the remaining two games? I don't know why they didn't have a plan for DeVito to have a short game. It's clear now that opposing Defenses will blitz and contain Tommy while isolating the coverage on Man. I know they want him to read through his progressions but they're killing themselves because they can't run the ball and he's looking down field on everything and not hitting his checkdowns. He's been waiting for his men to get open and it wasn't there yesterday. His protection was pure crap yesterday too!
Maybe this is the plan.  Put him in a ridiculously hard situation and see how he handles it?  However, with some of his misses on short throws, not sure he can execute any plan.

Ed Vette

Quote from: coggs on December 18, 2023, 11:07:17 AMMaybe this is the plan.  Put him in a ridiculously hard situation and see how he handles it?  However, with some of his misses on short throws, not sure he can execute any plan.
If he can't execute a short game and get the ball out in less than 2 seconds, he can't be the backup on this team. Not with that Offensive Line and given the history, I have no confidence that it's going to be better than it has the last ten years. Priority one is to find and retain an excellent Oline Coach.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 18, 2023, 10:59:46 AMThe interesting thing will be after the Eagles kick the xxxx out of the Giants, will Daboll start Tyrod the remaining two games? I don't know why they didn't have a plan for DeVito to have a short game. It's clear now that opposing Defenses will blitz and contain Tommy while isolating the coverage on Man. I know they want him to read through his progressions but they're killing themselves because they can't run the ball and he's looking down field on everything and not hitting his checkdowns. He's been waiting for his men to get open and it wasn't there yesterday. His protection was pure crap yesterday too!
I look at it differently. I think Tommy's a tough kid. He knows he's up against it. Daboll knows he's up against it. I think Daboll wants to see how Tommy functions in harsh conditions.

I don't see any point in starting Tyrod. He has nothing to offer the team outside of an injury to Tommy the remainder of the season.

Tommy's mindset seems to be the opposite of Danny's. One looks to push the ball downfield, the other looks to get rid of it quickly to his closest outlet. Neither have very good pocket awareness and clocks.

I kinda wonder if Tommy heard the fans' gripes about Danny not throwing the ball deep and decided he would make sure to look downfield for long passes.

coggs

Quote from: T200 on December 18, 2023, 10:34:03 AMAccepting or expecting? If they lose, I have no choice but to accept it. I have no challenge flags  =))

yes, "accepting".  As in, you have resigned yourself to an 0-1 or 0-whatever start?

coggs

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 18, 2023, 11:10:53 AMIf he can't execute a short game and get the ball out in less than 2 seconds, he can't be the backup on this team. Not with that Offensive Line and given the history, I have no confidence that it's going to be better than it has the last ten years. Priority one is to find and retain an excellent Oline Coach.
Based on some of his terrible misses the past few games.  I do not think he can execute a consistent short game.