News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Locked On Giants Podcast

Started by Ed Vette, December 20, 2023, 10:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

It's Titled, "NY Giants Approaching A Crossroads".

I have to say that I haven't watched or listened to Ed Valentine much but I clicked on it because I scrolling and saw Pat's face. They touched on a lot of the player personnel, but halfway through they discussed Coaching and the process and it reminded me of so many threads of discussion we had here. He did a nice job hitting on all the key points and Patty complimented him well with her input. I recommend listening in. There's much to chew on.

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

TONKA56

I watched this yesterday morning. I usually watch Patty's show, Baddog, and occasionally the Entertainah.

Good take.

I believe the Giants have a deeply systemic problem at every level with respect to developing the offensive line. Scouting and identifying talent in every round of the draft & free agency, developing talent, scheme, coaching...all things the Giants are far behind compared to other teams. This remains true even in this era where offensive line play is collectively weak.

MightyGiants

I thought Pat's comment about has Joe Schoen's drafts done enough to backfill the natural loss of talent, was perhaps the most important question and issue.

2022   1   Kayvon Thibodeaux   5   DE   
2022   1   Evan Neal   7   OL         
2022   2   Wan'Dale Robinson   43   WR   
2022   3   Joshua Ezeudu   67   OL   
2022   3   Cordale Flott   81   CB         
2022   4   Daniel Bellinger   112   TE   
2022   4   Dane Belton   114   DB         
2022   5   Micah McFadden   146   LB   
2022   5   D.J. Davidson   147   DT   
2022   5   Marcus McKethan   173   OL   
2022   6   Darrian Beavers 182   LB

2023   1   Deonte Banks   24   DB         
2023   2   John Michael Schmitz   57            
2023   3   Jalin Hyatt   73   WR   
2023   5   Eric Gray   172   RB   
2023   6   Tre Hawkins   209   CB         
2023   7   Gervarrius Owens   254   DB   

Free agent and trade acquisitions

Darren Waller TE Trade
Boogie Basham DE Trade
Isiah Simmons LB/S Trade
Bobby Okereke LB
Tommy DeVito QB
Tyrod Taylor QB
Matt Breida RB
Isaiah Hodgins WR
Parris Campbell WR
Mark Glowinski G
Justin Pugh G
A'Shawn Robinson DL
Rakeem Nunez-Roches DL
Nick McCloud DB
Jason Pinnock DB
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

The decision to have a light camp.

Not deciding on a starting Oline until a week before the season.

Not playing the starters in the preseason, especially the Oline.

Musical chairs with the Guards in Camp. Released Phillips and trusting Peart as the Swing Tackle and then when Andrew Thomas went down, Ezeudu replaced him with no reps at the position.

Not being prepared for the season and treating the first few games as the preseason.

Why retain Shepard and never use him but releasing Crowder who could have returned?

Why sign all those slot receivers when there needed to be better depth at other positions?

Why all the soft tissue injuries?

They need to look at the poor development of the Oline players. Buffalo with the same players got better after Bobby Johnson left. Why to Oline players leave and have good careers elsewhere?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

kingm56

"I thought Pat's comment about has Joe Schoen's drafts done enough to backfill the natural loss of talent."

Joe is not trying to replace talent, he's trying to insert it.  We haven't had a talented roster in over a decade; thus, there is no natural loss of talent.  We've had "never beens" and "never weres", but no real organic talent.  His task was/is more difficult than some realize. 

BluesCruz

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 21, 2023, 09:56:19 AMThe decision to have a light camp.

Not deciding on a starting Oline until a week before the season.

Not playing the starters in the preseason, especially the Oline.

Musical chairs with the Guards in Camp. Released Phillips and trusting Peart as the Swing Tackle and then when Andrew Thomas went down, Ezeudu replaced him with no reps at the position.

Not being prepared for the season and treating the first few games as the preseason.

Why retain Shepard and never use him but releasing Crowder who could have returned?

Why sign all those slot receivers when there needed to be better depth at other positions?

Why all the soft tissue injuries?

They need to look at the poor development of the Oline players. Buffalo with the same players got better after Bobby Johnson left. Why to Oline players leave and have good careers elsewhere?

You kind of summed it up.   A real Shixx Show

Lets hope Schoen and Daboll learned from their mistakes

Bobby Johnson absolutely positively has to go...he seems incompetent at best

Kafka has to go, or if the problem is Daboll spoiling the stew he should let Kafka call his own plays and let Tommy audible freely.  Somehow I think Tommy would be better at that than even a 5 yr veteran Jones.

I would have run a lot more RPO and misdirection last Sunday

Also we need a tight end who can also block and a RB who can pick up the free runner
Id even put Pugh in the backfield for pass protection.  Wild concept but remember the Fridge.

Even let Pugh take a slam as ball carrier on occassion. That would be a hoot

Getting back to picking up new personnel and drafting, Schoen should hire a consultant.

OR maybe Belichick would come in as VP of Football operations.
Bill is getting up there. Maybe he would like a high paid less stressful role where his cerebral input would be a great check and balance to a rookie HC- Daboll, and a Rookie GM Schoen.  Bill claims to still love the Giants- show us the love Bill

Less we forget neither guy Schoen/Dabol has ever held that position before.  Does Belichick really want to work the long hours at his age?  I cant see him starting over as GM/HC anywhere ala Andy Reid.

Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"