News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

If we’re sitting at #7 and the draft shakes out

Started by andrew_nyGiants, December 23, 2023, 04:04:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrew_nyGiants

With Williams still available at #4, do the Giants trade up or simply hold at #7 and take the "best available"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

President Rick

IMO we need players and cannot afford the draft capital to move up for anyone in this draft.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

Jclayton92

Williams won't make it past two. If this was Jayden Daniels and not Williams it's a different story.

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 23, 2023, 04:17:03 PMWilliams won't make it past two. If this was Jayden Daniels and not Williams it's a different story.
Yes well this was a "What if?" conversation starter and none of us can state AS FACT, that Williams doesn't get past #2.

I'm interested in finding out how important the franchise QB is to our fellow fans...and who among them believe that it is Williams.

From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

DaveBrown74

Yes, I would make the move to trade up if that were an option and our front office had a high enough rating on the player. You can't put a price on the value of getting a top QB. Of course there are no guarantees that he or anyone else will be great, and there is major risk involved, but I think that would be a risk worth taking assuming our front office strongly believes in the prospect.

Philosophers

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on December 23, 2023, 04:04:13 PMWith Williams still available at #4, do the Giants trade up or simply hold at #7 and take the "best available"

My USC fans who watched Williams a lot absolutely swear by him as the real deal.

I think the Giants want another QB in case DJ fails in 2024 but I think they still hold out hope DJ can be their guy.  That said, I dont think they trade up in round 1 and lose draft capital.  I think they either take a different QB at 6-7th pick or draft another position and try to land one in round 2.

Doc16LT56

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 23, 2023, 04:17:03 PMWilliams won't make it past two. If this was Jayden Daniels and not Williams it's a different story.
This is the correct answer.

Doc16LT56

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on December 23, 2023, 04:34:34 PMYes well this was a "What if?" conversation starter and none of us can state AS FACT, that Williams doesn't get past #2.

I'm interested in finding out how important the franchise QB is to our fellow fans...and who among them believe that it is Williams.

I would do everything I could (within reason) to make the trade. Williams would give this franchise the biggest reason for optimism since the Eli trade.

Section 101 Steve

Pats just beat Denver. If they beat the jets and we lose out we can get to 4th
sm

sooners56

If Williams is available at 4, the Giants better be doing whatever it takes to get the 4th pick.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

katkavage

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 23, 2023, 04:40:44 PMYes, I would make the move to trade up if that were an option and our front office had a high enough rating on the player. You can't put a price on the value of getting a top QB. Of course there are no guarantees that he or anyone else will be great, and there is major risk involved, but I think that would be a risk worth taking assuming our front office strongly believes in the prospect.
If you are the GM are risk-averse, you will fail. Or at best, flounder.It's a risk business. The Giants and Accorsi took a risk making the trade for Eli. They gave up a future number one. I'd say that risk was worth it. It's up to Schoen to have the same convictions about a player to make that type of move.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: katkavage on December 25, 2023, 07:40:14 AMIf you are the GM are risk-averse, you will fail. Or at best, flounder.It's a risk business. The Giants and Accorsi took a risk making the trade for Eli. They gave up a future number one. I'd say that risk was worth it. It's up to Schoen to have the same convictions about a player to make that type of move.

Completely worth the risk assuming the front office has done their due diligence and has faith in the player. If they have done the work and they're not high on him, then take the BPA or trade down. But if they've done the due diligence and they are high on the QB, and there is way to get him, then it's worth going all-in on making it happen.

Also, what are we risking exactly? That we'll suck for another 3-4 years? We just sucked for 10. Plus if we DON'T draft a QB, what is our outlook exactly? We're going to extend Daniel Jones' contract, sign Barkley, and build them whole team around those two for the next 5-plus years? Really? Is that what people who don't want to draft a QB are actually advocating for?

uconnjack8

Quote from: Section 101 Steve on December 24, 2023, 11:26:33 PMPats just beat Denver. If they beat the jets and we lose out we can get to 4th

Wouldnt the Pat's need to win 2 more games for that?

The Giants SOS is going to go up significantly with 2 games against the Eagles.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on December 25, 2023, 08:33:28 AMWouldnt the Pat's need to win 2 more games for that?

The Giants SOS is going to go up significantly with 2 games against the Eagles.

Good point. The Rams game may also boost it at this point (not sure about that but they're presently above .500).

Jolly Blue Giant

For you guys who are hell-bent on a new QB at any cost, I suspect you will be very unhappy on draft day. Only my opinion, but I believe the front office and coaching staff like DJ a whole lot more than some fans. The Giants don't have a lot of draft capital to move forward, and even more unlikely to spend it to move for a player to replace the player they appear to be fully committed

I could be wrong...been wrong many times...but I believe Schoen/Daboll believe in DJ for the long haul and have no intentions of getting into a bidding war in order to shoot themselves in the foot at the expense of the rest of the team. Smart GMs and HCs build a team, fans collect football cards and zero in on individual star players. But this game is not an individual sport that requires a collection of stars. It's all about chemistry, coaching, and training that builds a good team. Teamwork always beats letting individual stars run loose
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh: