News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

"This is a three year rebuilding process..."

Started by MightyGiants, December 26, 2023, 08:28:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

As we near the end of year 2, is this team a year away from being Super Bowl contenders?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

JT39

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 26, 2023, 08:28:02 AMAs we near the end of year 2, is this team a year away from being Super Bowl contenders?

No QB
No WR
Need 3 OL
Defense is below average
Coaching is suspect
GM is suspect

We are YEARS away.

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 26, 2023, 08:28:02 AMAs we near the end of year 2, is this team a year away from being Super Bowl contenders?
They're closer to being chicken tenders.  :doh:  =))
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Ed Vette

I don't see it. They need to bring in at least one established Veteran on the Oline but probably two. They need another edge Rusher. They need to replace Leo and don't see that guy. They need a QB who can come in and play well first year. They need JMS and Banks to get to the next level. Neal to settle in at RT or RG. They need to replace or resign MCK and Jackson. They need Thibs to be a complete player. They have to decide if Barkley money is the best way to spend it when they can't win with him. They need a healthy two way TE. They need a Slot Corner.

Then replace the OC, Oline and ST Coach and decide if they want to live with the erratic and inconsistent Wink Martindale. Would a different OC even make a difference because Daboll is too hands on an Offense. So they have to decide if it's another 2 and out HC.

To make long story short, no.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

katkavage

Last year set them back horribly. They believed they actually were better than they were, especially at the QB position. This is more like year one of the rebuild. Sadly, Daboll gets one more year to turn it around. He won't without a QB.

T200

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 26, 2023, 08:41:58 AMI don't see it. They need to bring in at least one established Veteran on the Oline but probably two. They need another edge Rusher. They need to replace Leo and don't see that guy. They need a QB who can come in and play well first year. They need JMS and Banks to get to the next level. Neal to settle in at RT or RG. They need to replace or resign MCK and Jackson. They need Thibs to be a complete player. They have to decide if Barkley money is the best way to spend it when they can't win with him. They need a healthy two way TE. They need a Slot Corner.

Then replace the OC, Oline and ST Coach and decide if they want to live with the erratic and inconsistent Wink Martindale. Would a different OC even make a difference because Daboll is too hands on an Offense. So they have to decide if it's another 2 and out HC.

To make long story short, no.
And let's not forget our "special" teams.

There isn't one facet of football that this team does well. Not one.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Giant Obsession

Time to kick that Rebuild plan to the curb.

No plan will work till we get a professional coaching staff.

See Ray Parkins and George Young 1979 for how its done.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

katkavage

Quote from: Giant Obsession on December 26, 2023, 08:54:38 AMTime to kick that Rebuild plan to the curb.

No plan will work till we get a professional coaching staff.

See Ray Parkins and George Young 1979 for how its done.
Not gonna happen. The best you can hope for is they hit a goldmine with a QB in the draft and fortify other positions in free agency and the rest of the draft. Always remember, Mara picks the GM and has much say in the coach as well. So that's not a good thing. He's failed constantly.

Doc16LT56

This team seems to be 3 years away every year and it's been that way for over a decade. Things won't change until they find a legitimate QB.

It's ironic that Geno Smith may have been that guy 6 years ago if they had given him a shot. But Gettleman believed Eli just needed another weapon and he bizarrely believed Kyle Lauletta could be the heir apparent. Not that Geno was a great prize, but maybe he would've helped this team get back to respectability.

Now, unless they luck into an elite QB through the draft, they'll continue their decade long game of whack-a-mole with the roster. Use 2 top-10 picks and a 2nd round pick on the OL, and the OL is worse than ever. Invest a top-10 pick on a pass rusher and sign Dex to a huge contract, but the defensive front is only average on a good day. Invest a first round pick on a dynamic WR, then trade him for an aging but formerly elite TE, and still no legitimate #1 target. Grant McAdoo the keys to the kingdom, 2 years later it's Shurmur, 2 years later it's Judge, 2 years later it's Daboll, 2 years later???

This is like being on a hamster wheel. Until they solve the QB position they will continue running in place without getting anywhere.

DaveBrown74

As I said in another thread, I don't believe there is even a such thing as a "rebuild" for a team that has been a non-factor for a decade. You can't really do a "rebuild" of something if nothing substantive was ever built in the first place. The good Eli/Coughlin years are too far removed to factor in to what we're talking about.

So to me we are in a perpetual "build", and it is going to take as long as it is going to take. Slapping a time frame on it seems silly at this point. We have been hearing that for ages now, and these structural year-by-year plans continue to be flops. Maybe well run teams like the Ravens and Eagles can live by such guidelines, but not us.

Moreover, putting any sort of "we better contend by 202x or else" type of ultimatum on new coaches and GMs may be counter-productive. The team needs to improve in basically every single area. We have 2-3 solid players on this team and a few more who have some promise but are unproven. You need much, much more than that to even be a "solid" team. To be a really good team requires a complete build, and that means hitting on day three players year after year and developing them effectively.

JT39

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 26, 2023, 10:51:27 AMAs I said in another thread, I don't believe there is even a such thing as a "rebuild" for a team that has been a non-factor for a decade. You can't really do a "rebuild" of something if nothing substantive was ever built in the first place. The good Eli/Coughlin years are too far removed to factor in to what we're talking about.

So to me we are in a perpetual "build", and it is going to take as long as it is going to take. Slapping a time frame on it seems silly at this point. We have been hearing that for ages now, and these structural year-by-year plans continue to be flops. Maybe well run teams like the Ravens and Eagles can live by such guidelines, but not us.

Moreover, putting any sort of "we better contend by 202x or else" type of ultimatum on new coaches and GMs may be counter-productive. The team needs to improve in basically every single area. We have 2-3 solid players on this team and a few more who have some promise but are unproven. You need much, much more than that to even be a "solid" team. To be a really good team requires a complete build, and that means hitting on day three players year after year and developing them effectively.

Get the QB.
Get a true #1 WR.
Franchise Barkley for one more year.

Let Wandale and Hyatt being 3/4 options. Draft a guard I. The second round. Sign a guard in FA.

Defense is what it is. It will be better with a sustainable more explosive offense. But get the QB first. I don't care which one it is.

kartanoman

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 26, 2023, 10:51:27 AMAs I said in another thread, I don't believe there is even a such thing as a "rebuild" for a team that has been a non-factor for a decade. You can't really do a "rebuild" of something if nothing substantive was ever built in the first place. The good Eli/Coughlin years are too far removed to factor in to what we're talking about.

+1

In the most basic of terms, when it comes time to add new players to your roster, are you closing the talent gap with your Divisional rivals? That sounds overly simplistic, but imagine if they actually did so, this past season, when considering yesterday's game, for example.

The Giants have to make targeted acquisitions to acquire difference making players who will be part of turning the losing culture around.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)