News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT - Syracuse Orange Football

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, December 27, 2023, 10:28:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

College football fans are going to go into shock next year when they see the "New" Syracuse Orange Football program (I hope I don't jinx them by propping them up)

Here's the changes made so far:

1) Head Coach Dino Babers fired, replaced by new HC Fran Brown (Georgia's Defensive Backs Coach). A local guy from New Jersey who was Georgia's recruiting ace (the number one recruiter in the nation for the past two years). He has brought three top players from Georgia with him through the transfer portal (two WRs, one OL)

2) New Offensive Coordinator: Jeff Nixon, NY Giants Running Backs coach

3) New Wide Receiver's coach and Passing Game Coordinator: Ross Dougland, New England Patriots WR coach

4) New Defensive Coordinator: Elijah Robinson, Texas A&M's assistant HC, Defensive Coordinator, and interim head coach

New Players:

1) Ohio State's junior QB Kyle McCord through the transfer portal...absolutely shocking OSU's fans and pundits. McCord replaced CJ Stroud, this past season and threw for 3,170 yards and 24 touchdowns in his 12 appearances in 2023

2) Some of the new players through the transfer portal: QB Kyle McCloud (Ohio State) of course; Safeties: Soph. Miles Farmer, Fr. Jaeden Gould, and Fr. WR Jalil Martin (all from Nebraska); Fr. CB Jayden Bellamy (Notre Dame); Fr. IOL David Wohlabaugh (UK); Fr. DL Braylen Ingraham (Alabama); the aforementioned Georgia players (WRs Yazeed Haynes and Jackson Meeks) and OL Joshua Miller, etc.
3) Highest rated recruiting class in the past 30 years signing commitments from multiple high profile programs, beating out the likes of the SEC and B1G recruiting machine, and several more elite players in the transfer portal contemplating coming to the Orange

4) Syracuse's top TE/WR Oronde Gadsden II (really just a WR, 6-5, 221 lbs) who was 1st team ACC and second-team preseason All-American this year at tight end by the Associated Press, just behind Georgia's Brock Bowers, after catching for 969 yards and 6 touchdowns in 2022, but sat out most of last year due to an injury, announced yesterday that he would forego the NFL draft and would come back for his senior year because of the excitement of where the team is heading

5) Strongest WR class in Syracuse history, and a packed RB class

Finally...maybe my hometown team will be back amongst the elite. I for one am excited  :knockONwood:

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Jolly Blue Giant

Must be no SU football fans on here  :hmm:   :(

Regardless, since I submitted that post yesterday, two more SU players who were slated for the NFL draft, have chosen to return for their senior year.

The tri-fecta of SU's NFL draft prospects have all decided to return for one more year. I mentioned their star WR (called TE, but a WR) Oronde Gadsden II was returning, but now their star LB Marlowe Wax (6-1/230) with 108 tackles, four forced fumbles, four sacks, and one interception this past season is returning. Also, the teams best DB (mostly safety, but also plays nickel and has lined up as a WILL) DB Justin Barron announced yesterday that he's returning

So, there will be no Syracuse players in the upcoming draft. Even if you don't follow Orange football - I believe they will be a team next season that will surprise a lot of people. For those of you who bet on football games, this is primo info...LOL

In addition to the previous info, Fadil Diggs...Texas A&M's leading DE/ER, has committed to SU. He is the younger brother of Dallas Cowboy's Trevon Diggs (Alabama alum)

Jclayton92

I like you am excited about my college football team. I graduated from Ole Miss and they have truly owned the transfer portal this season.

#1 overall player Walter Nolen
#1 linebacker Poo Paul
#1 Edge Princely umanmerien
#2 Edge Tyler Baron
#2 Wr Juice Wells
#6 Safety Key Lawrence

Among other players and returning all the talent from this past season to go all in on a natty in 2024.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 28, 2023, 12:35:12 PMI like you am excited about my college football team. I graduated from Ole Miss and they have truly owned the transfer portal this season.

#1 overall player Walter Nolen
#1 linebacker Poo Paul
#1 Edge Princely umanmerien
#2 Edge Tyler Baron
#2 Wr Juice Wells
#6 Safety Key Lawrence

Among other players and returning all the talent from this past season to go all in on a natty in 2024.

I thought Princely declared  :-??

Wouldn't that be a hoot for Ole Miss to win the SEC and SU win the ACC...Championship baby!!  :laugh:

Well best of luck to your team. Looks like both our teams are setting up for a great season. Long time coming for this Orange fan

Sem

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on December 28, 2023, 10:13:07 AMMust be no SU football fans on here  :hmm:   :(

Regardless, since I submitted that post yesterday, two more SU players who were slated for the NFL draft, have chosen to return for their senior year.

The tri-fecta of SU's NFL draft prospects have all decided to return for one more year. I mentioned their star WR (called TE, but a WR) Oronde Gadsden II was returning, but now their star LB Marlowe Wax (6-1/230) with 108 tackles, four forced fumbles, four sacks, and one interception this past season is returning. Also, the teams best DB (mostly safety, but also plays nickel and has lined up as a WILL) DB Justin Barron announced yesterday that he's returning

So, there will be no Syracuse players in the upcoming draft. Even if you don't follow Orange football - I believe they will be a team next season that will surprise a lot of people. For those of you who bet on football games, this is primo info...LOL

In addition to the previous info, Fadil Diggs...Texas A&M's leading DE/ER, has committed to SU. He is the younger brother of Dallas Cowboy's Trevon Diggs (Alabama alum)

A little harder for me to watch SU football and basketball now that I'm out west. Never missed games on TV or occasionally in person when I lived in Endicott, but they've slipped from my consciousness out here. I'll try to make more of an effort to catch them when I can.

DaveBrown74

It's great to be excited about one's team, but I need to see it to believe it with Cuse football.

spiderblue43

Glad there is passion for the 'Cuse sans Boeheim  Saw a lot of McCord and he's solid if unspectacular. Surprised but not shocked he left the Buckeyes.

Unhappy campers :-??  in Columbus losing three in a row to Jim Boy 

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: spiderblue43 on December 28, 2023, 03:48:35 PMGlad there is passion for the 'Cuse sans Boeheim  Saw a lot of McCord and he's solid if unspectacular. Surprised but not shocked he left the Buckeyes.

Unhappy campers :-??  in Columbus losing three in a row to Jim Boy 

Actually, Boeheim was replaced months ago and the basketball team is playing well under Adrian "Red" Autry. They are moving away from the zone. But win or lose, there is always passion for the basketball team...not so much for the football team. There was excitement when Dino Babers took over the program six or seven years ago, but he never got it beyond mediocre. Under new HC Fran Brown, if the team goes on a win streak and knocks off some quality teams, the fan base will be back and stronger than ever and Orange fans will be rockin like the days of old when they had the likes of Jim Brown, Floyd Little, Larry Csonka, Dwight Freeny, Marvin Harrison, Tim Green, McNabb, etc.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 28, 2023, 03:30:21 PMIt's great to be excited about one's team, but I need to see it to believe it with Cuse football.

BTW just to clarify what I meant by this post:

I in no way have a negative view of them. I'd like to see them do well. I don't really have an opinion, and I certainly respect yours, JBG. I know you're very well informed.

But since Cuse football has been mostly a mediocre program (as far as the power five goes) for a long time now, I just meant I can't get excited about them taking a big next step until I see them actually do it. I feel like there has been some false excitement with them under Babers on multiple occasions, only to see them ultimately disappoint. I hope it's different under the next regime.

katkavage

Tough for the former Big Easters to compete to the level and quality they did back in the day in both basketball and football. UConn returning to the Big East in hoops elevated the league to being one of the top conferences for basketball. And brought them back to prominence.

Sem

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on December 28, 2023, 04:02:35 PMActually, Boeheim was replaced months ago and the basketball team is playing well under Adrian "Red" Autry. They are moving away from the zone. But win or lose, there is always passion for the basketball team...not so much for the football team. There was excitement when Dino Babers took over the program six or seven years ago, but he never got it beyond mediocre. Under new HC Fran Brown, if the team goes on a win streak and knocks off some quality teams, the fan base will be back and stronger than ever and Orange fans will be rockin like the days of old when they had the likes of Jim Brown, Floyd Little, Larry Csonka, Dwight Freeny, Marvin Harrison, Tim Green, McNabb, etc.

Don't forget the Jones kids at SU, Arthur and Chandler Jones. They also went to my, and our kid's, high school, UEHS. Arthur graduated with, and was good friends with our daughter. I  don't think their brother Jon "Bones" Jones, MMA/UFC Champion, went to SU however.

Jolly Blue Giant

The Cuse keeps getting good news. CB Duce Chestnut announced at the stroke of midnight last night, that he will transfer from LSU and return to the Orange. He left the Orange for LSU a year ago after being one of the best players in the ACC and wanted more media attention in the SEC for a better shot at the NFL. But he liked his old players and with the new coach and the hype, he wanted to be part of it

Nice New Year's Eve present for the Orange as CB was one area that could be improved

As for Jess's comment, I read this morning that the Orange has had the best haul of transfers of any team other than Mississippi (whether they meant Ole Miss or Mississippi St., they didn't say)

Jclayton92

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on January 01, 2024, 11:52:53 AMThe Cuse keeps getting good news. CB Duce Chestnut announced at the stroke of midnight last night, that he will transfer from LSU and return to the Orange. He left the Orange for LSU a year ago after being one of the best players in the ACC and wanted more media attention in the SEC for a better shot at the NFL. But he liked his old players and with the new coach and the hype, he wanted to be part of it

Nice New Year's Eve present for the Orange as CB was one area that could be improved

As for Jess's comment, I read this morning that the Orange has had the best haul of transfers of any team other than Mississippi (whether they meant Ole Miss or Mississippi St., they didn't say)
Yeah Ole Miss, some people refuse to call them that and instead call them Mississippi.

Jolly Blue Giant

Sorry to keep hammering on this thread, but last night the Orange picked up yet another player through the transfer portal, beating out a handful of the top schools in the nation

DL Dion "Tank" Wilson Jr., 6'5 /300lbs will join another transfer, Fadil Diggs (Texas A&M's best DL/ER player) on the defensive line of the Orange. SU's defensive line has gotten significantly bigger, faster, and more athletic

The "Tank"

I just hope I'm not jinxing them by overreacting. The Orange has let me down many times in my life...especially the football team

Dumpster Dan

Jolly

Where is Syracuse getting all the NIL money from?

Dumpster Dan