News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Russell Wilson

Started by Ed Vette, December 28, 2023, 09:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

A few years ago when Wilson was on the market I gave my opinion that he was in decline with some push back. There were several who wanted the Giants to sign him.

Now it's very possible that he will be released after this season and look to sign elsewhere for league minimum, while sticking the Broncos for his guaranteed.

Is there anyone here that would like to see the Giants bring him here for 2024 and not draft a QB this upcoming draft?

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/release-not-trade-is-the-most-likely-outcome-for-broncos-and-russell-wilson
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

BluesCruz

Personally I would prefer an experienced vet like Russel Wilson to Dump it off Dan

Wilson would stand up to Kafka and insist we stop the continuous Barkley runs to nowhere and the dumb passes out to the flat that fool no one

I think the conservative play calling did in TommyD last game.  and is wearing out Jamie's punting leg
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

BluesCruz

opps sorry Ed

We posted the same thought at the same time
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

uconnjack8

I don't think he is as far in decline as some thought, but I don't want the Giants to sign him.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 28, 2023, 09:34:13 AMA few years ago when Wilson was on the market I gave my opinion that he was in decline with some push back. There were several who wanted the Giants to sign him.

Now it's very possible that he will be released after this season and look to sign elsewhere for league minimum, while sticking the Broncos for his guaranteed.

Is there anyone here that would like to see the Giants bring him here for 2024 and not draft a QB this upcoming draft?

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/release-not-trade-is-the-most-likely-outcome-for-broncos-and-russell-wilson

Anyone still wanting a twice failed QB, is proof of the old saying about the grass being greener
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 28, 2023, 09:34:13 AMA few years ago when Wilson was on the market I gave my opinion that he was in decline with some push back. There were several who wanted the Giants to sign him.

Yes, I was one of the pushers!  :greetings:

If we did not have Daniel's albatross of a contract, I'd say yes, bring in Russ but still draft a QB. Jones is the sticking point so unless Russ will suppress his ego and take the vet minimum, I'll have to pass. I want a QB in the draft more than I want Russ.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

uconnjack8

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 28, 2023, 09:40:45 AMAnyone still wanting a twice failed QB, is proof of the old saying about the grass being greener

Twice failed?  What are his two failures?

TDToomer

Quote from: uconnjack8 on December 28, 2023, 09:46:32 AMTwice failed?  What are his two failures?

Not getting along with Carroll and the Seahawks forcing the trade
2 losing seasons with the Broncos getting his first coach sacked and his current one souring on him

From what I read Wilson has privately known for 2 months that the Broncos are going to cut him before his $37 million guarantee is due this offseason. They asked him to defer the date and he wouldn't so he dared them to cut him.

"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

uconnjack8

Quote from: TDToomer on December 28, 2023, 09:50:20 AMNot getting along with Carroll and the Seahawks forcing the trade
2 losing seasons with the Broncos getting his first coach sacked and his current one souring on him

From what I read Wilson has privately known for 2 months that the Broncos are going to cut him before his $37 million guarantee is due this offseason. They asked him to defer the date and he wouldn't so he dared them to cut him.

He won a Super Bowl and got to another with Seattle.  He went to the playoffs in 8 of his 1st 9 seasons with the Seahawks.  I sure hope the next Giants QB can fail that well.

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: uconnjack8 on December 28, 2023, 09:54:07 AMHe won a Super Bowl and got to another with Seattle.  He went to the playoffs in 8 of his 1st 9 seasons with the Seahawks.  I sure hope the next Giants QB can fail that well.

He should've won the second but for a horrible goal line call and great play by Malcolm Butler.

londonblue

Wilson has been ordinary in Denver though this season he has definitely had some better moments. Injury and years have combined to reduce his mobility to average. His arm is still good but his decision-making can be a problem. Too many missed openings due to slow/late reads. Too many turnovers until Payton dumbed it down. Then there is the noise suggesting he is not exactly a unifying presence in the locker room.

I know the contract injury guarantees are an issue but Payton would be hunting solutions not giving up on him if he believed he could win a Super Bowl with him. I'm not betting against his judgement.

As we are stuck with DJ on the payroll for one, possibly two more years we will presumably be looking for a robust bargain QB2 like Minshew. I also think we might be in the Zach Wilson market if he is cut as I can see Daboll thinking he can improve him.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

LennG

Kerry Collins ll??????

In a heartbeat if we aren't in a position to draft a legitimate starting QB.

Problem is we are stuck with Danny for the coming year. Even if Wilson would take the Vet minimum which he never will as there will be several other teams who would love to sign him, what would he do, sit on the bench while Danny plays catch with his dump-off guys?
If we were looking for a Vet to come in and compete with Danny, then give it a go, but as of now, Danny will be our starter if he is healthy.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

katkavage

We have to understand that, despite last year's mirage, the Giants have a major rebuild. Sadly management stifled the rebuild with Jones contract this past summer. That hamstrings the team's development. Regardless, all is not lost. The Giants need a young, dynamic QB that they can grow around a young and coming team. A vet like Wilson would just delay the rebuild further and because there are so many other parts needed, his presence would not matter.

Jclayton92

Give me a cheap Qb ala Minshew, Mayfield, or Tyrod until we can get rid of Jones. That's unless we draft someone.

MightyGiants

Quote from: uconnjack8 on December 28, 2023, 09:54:07 AMHe won a Super Bowl and got to another with Seattle.  He went to the playoffs in 8 of his 1st 9 seasons with the Seahawks.  I sure hope the next Giants QB can fail that well.

Eli Manning won two Super Bowls; should the Giants sign him?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE