News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

A requiem for Cutlets by a local reporter

Started by Ed Vette, December 28, 2023, 03:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

We're not employed by any professional football team and haven't had experience in the NFL. Buuuuuuuuuttttttt... we've collectively watched enough football and sometimes get things right when we're not wearing our Big Blue glasses.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

spiderblue43

Ayeeee...just give him the Sonny Corleone treatment..few more for good measure...rat tat tat

Whoever said seriously he was the answer?

He gave a lifeless team a lift..that's it.

madbadger

Wait till he reads Kurt Warner's back story. Tommy Cutlet was a sure thing coming into the NFL compared to Warner. What's wrong with giving a person a chance to prove if they do or don't belong before saying that they're worthless because they weren't drafted or transferred at some point? The guy comes off as a clown.

DaveBrown74

Just goes to show you how big the difference is between winning and losing. When you're winning, you can just about walk on water, even if you didn't play amazingly well and the team is barely beating the absolute worst teams in the league. You're still a godsend and everyone's icon.

When you're losing, everyone's perception of you changes on a dime, to say the least. And it can happen very quickly.

I think Cutlets was smart. He knew deep down this might be a fleeting thing. Smart to milk it for what he could and save as much cash as he can while this is going on. I have no evidence or reason to believe that his outside business interests impacted his play on the field. I don't think he was ever that spectacular in the first place.

spiderblue43

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 28, 2023, 04:19:26 PMJust goes to show you how big the difference is between winning and losing. When you're winning, you can just about walk on water, even if you didn't play amazingly well and the team is barely beating the absolute worst teams in the league. You're still a godsend and everyone's icon.

When you're losing, everyone's perception of you changes on a dime, to say the least. And it can happen very quickly.

I think Cutlets was smart. He knew deep down this might be a fleeting thing. Smart to milk it for what he could and save as much cash as he can while this is going on. I have no evidence or reason to believe that his outside business interests impacted his play on the field. I don't think he was ever that spectacular in the first place.

Perils of a recency bias media. The media gladly buffooned Cutlets and his family heritage (they took part as well) until wasn't a good earner no more

DeVito's minute of fame is a classic example. Anyone in their right mind didn't expect this to last.

kartanoman

It was a "feel-good" story about a long-shot local kid who was given a chance to play for his local NFL team.

If this is the end of the road for DeVito, he can take great pride in having won three (3) NFL games as starting quarterback of the New York Football Giants, tossed two (2) touchdowns against the Dallas Cowboys in Jerryworld and, finally, got to face the NFC champion Eagles' defense in their own ballpark on Christmas Night Primetime. He has accomplished more than what nearly all undrafted free agents have ever accomplished.

So, let these rag editors draw up requiems for Tommy Chicken Cutlets. He's done more in his short time with the Giants than most of those blowhards wished they could ever have dreamed of doing with their lives.

He remains a great human interest story during the 2023 NFL season.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Painter

The nature of the situation, characters, and events created what is sometimes referred to as a human-interest story. Given how short is the usual span of human interest of both local media and principally that of broadly disillusioned Giants fans, time would appear to have expired on the Tommy DeVito show.

Is there really more to it than that, some larger point about which a consensus needs to be developed. Are there not far more pressing issues facing the team, its owners, management and staff, and yes, even us?

Cheers!   

expatriot

I never had any real expectation for DeVito.  He made a crappy season a little more fun.  For that I am thankful.  My daughter was at Syracuse the same time as he was so we have a little school spirit too.  All good.  I hope he develops enough to be a backup.  That would be a big win for him and his family.