News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What’s the biggest disconnect between the national media and Giants fans POV?

Started by shadowspinner0, January 01, 2024, 05:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

files58

To answer the question posed by this thread, historical perspective. The media is all about today's headlines, and what happened earlier in today's game(sic), and how it effects next week. I've been a fan since 65'. A couple of months ago I did  W-L regular season record since 65'. They are approximately 55 games BELOW .500 since then. They are a historically losing franchise despite the four trophies. That's where the discussion about the Giants should start. It's never happened because it doesn't sell today's "flash". Players and coaches have come and gone. The one constant is the Mara family. That's where the arrow should be pointed. The failure of Wellington(RIP), and John to provide a satisfactory product to their consumer audience, the fans. If I was running the show I would long ago have adopted Al Davis'(RIP) mantra of "just win baby", and like him draw the disdain of the other owners. "Winning is the only thing" (Vince Lombardi) would be posted everywhere in the facility, I'd put it on the uniforms. I'd hire a guy/gal like the fictional Bobby Axelrod, and his kemosabi Wags from Billions to behind the scenes mess with the finances of the other teams/owners, I'd challenge the legality of the draft, and try to equalize it with any other type of graduate. Meaning, do you see Big 6 drafting accounting graduates, or engineering firms having a draft? I'd be ruthless in my pursuit of WINS. Period. My fortune would have been made elsewhere, the Giants would be a serious hobby. That's the problem, the Giants are a family business. Yes John is a successful corporate lawyer by trade, but the Giants is really all he has known. We all bring aspects of our childhoods with us. John walks through the halls and sees in his mind Charlie Connerlly, Frank Gifford, and Sam Huff. It gives him comfort, and clouds his perspective. We get Tommy Cutlets.

Hadron

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 01, 2024, 06:53:14 PMI would suggest one does not need to live outside the NY market to be able to realize that.

Giant fans continue to come up with excuses for Jones until they saw him get outplayed by Devito/Tyrod Taylor.

I thought they should've never drafted him.

Hadron

Quote from: kingm56 on January 02, 2024, 04:54:36 AM??? The outside market was well aware of this fact well before 90% percent of Giant fans.  Most pundits ranked Jones no better than the 17th best NFL QB; it was the NY fans (this board included, who were arguing DJ was better than Hurts, Dak, and Lamar Jackson.

I could've stated my point better but yes, there were a lot of blinders put on by NYG fans when it came to Jones.

I was never a fan of his but did give him some credit for his play last year.

kingm56

Quote from: Hadron on January 02, 2024, 02:04:51 PMI could've stated my point better but yes, there were a lot of blinders put on by NYG fans when it came to Jones.

I was never a fan of his but did give him some credit for his play last year.

Your perspective vis-à-vis Jones has always been fair, Hardon; I certainly didn't mean to suggest otherwise.