News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Fiasco At The End Of Detroit-Dallas

Started by Ed Vette, December 31, 2023, 06:41:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

Why have two Offensive Linemen approach the Referee? I recall the Referee calling an Eligible Receiver over the PA system at games, did this not happen because any mistake would have or should have been cleared up then before the play. Do officials now have to wear body cams? The whole incident is unfortunate but if it was called correctly, Decker surely would have been covered by Dallas and not wide open.

Dan Campbell took chances twice, one on that conversion and a chip FG going for it on 4th down in a close game. If he kicks the FG, he walks away with a win.

https://sports.yahoo.com/roger-goodells-so-called-better-than-ever-nfl-officiating-blew-the-end-of-cowboys-lions-then-doubled-down-074502508.html
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Messiah717

In short I believe the official screwed up and announced the wrong player as reporting.  The consequence must be that official is pulled from any postseason duties. 

BluesCruz

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 31, 2023, 06:41:37 AMWhy have two Offensive Linemen approach the Referee? I recall the Referee calling an Eligible Receiver over the PA system at games, did this not happen because any mistake would have or should have been cleared up then before the play. Do officials now have to wear body cams? The whole incident is unfortunate but if it was called correctly, Decker surely would have been covered by Dallas and not wide open.

Dan Campbell took chances twice on two point conversions and if he simply had kicked the extra point on both, he walks away with a win.

https://sports.yahoo.com/roger-goodells-so-called-better-than-ever-nfl-officiating-blew-the-end-of-cowboys-lions-then-doubled-down-074502508.html

Yeah why does Campbell not just kick the point after and play on?
Obviously th football Gods were trying to tell him something by the 3rd attempt
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

uconnjack8

I turned the game off after Goff's INT.  Figures all this happened after that.

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 31, 2023, 06:41:37 AMWhy have two Offensive Linemen approach the Referee? I recall the Referee calling an Eligible Receiver over the PA system at games, did this not happen because any mistake would have or should have been cleared up then before the play. Do officials now have to wear body cams? The whole incident is unfortunate but if it was called correctly, Decker surely would have been covered by Dallas and not wide open.

Dan Campbell took chances twice on two point conversions and if he simply had kicked the extra point on both, he walks away with a win

What do you mean here?  They kicked the PAT after their only other TD I think. 

Ed Vette

Quote from: uconnjack8 on December 31, 2023, 08:04:01 AMI turned the game off after Goff's INT.  Figures all this happened after that.

What do you mean here?  They kicked the PAT after their only other TD I think. 
You're right. He went for it on 4th down instead of kicking a FG.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

uconnjack8

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 31, 2023, 09:26:41 AMYou're right. He went for it on 4th down instead of kicking a FG.

Thought that was a risky one from 4 or 5 yard line.  It was early enough in the game that I didnt think it was awful at the time, but thought they should have kicked the FG. 

They go on 4th a lot and it's worked for the most part.  Its just very questionable when it potentially costs you a game.

Ed Vette

Quote from: uconnjack8 on December 31, 2023, 09:36:28 AMThought that was a risky one from 4 or 5 yard line.  It was early enough in the game that I didnt think it was awful at the time, but thought they should have kicked the FG. 

They go on 4th a lot and it's worked for the most part.  Its just very questionable when it potentially costs you a game.
It was a close game and he should have definitely kicked the FG. I also think it was too risky to go for two and not tie the game but the analytics may have swayed him there.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

uconnjack8

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 31, 2023, 09:56:33 AMIt was a close game and he should have definitely kicked the FG. I also think it was too risky to go for two and not tie the game but the analytics may have swayed him there.

The stakes on this were pretty high. I think its doubtful it would have happened, but if they won out, the 1 seed was possible.

I think the analytics change in a game that is controlled more by the defenses.

JT39

The ref messed up. It's clear as day. But instead of taking ownership of it - they're denying any wrongdoing.

It's been an awful year for the NFL. Quality of play is down. Officiating is terrible. The non Sunday games have been a fiasco.

But they're making money - so that's all that matters.

Ed Vette

Quote from: uconnjack8 on December 31, 2023, 10:06:02 AMThe stakes on this were pretty high. I think its doubtful it would have happened, but if they won out, the 1 seed was possible.

I think the analytics change in a game that is controlled more by the defenses.
I was thinking the odds of winning in overtime due to a coin flip vs a two point conversion made his choice close enough to go for it. After the Dallas timeout which was brilliant btw, and showed their hand, he should have kicked the FG, as it took away their best play.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Not so fast.

It's also possible it was a trick play (which could also be viewed as an attempt to cheat).

Here's how it works... you send out two ineligible players and have one report as eligible.

You throw the ball to the guy who failed to report, hoping the ref won't remember the number of the guy who reported. This, IMO, is exactly what happened there. 

I base my view on what the two guys and Campbell said (and didn't say) when questioned by reporters afterward.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: Bob In PA on January 02, 2024, 01:30:28 PMNot so fast.

It's also possible it was a trick play (which could also be viewed as an attempt to cheat).

Here's how it works... you send out two ineligible players and have one report as eligible.

You throw the ball to the guy who failed to report, hoping the ref won't remember the number of the guy who reported. This, IMO, is exactly what happened there. 

I base my view on what the two guys and Campbell said (and didn't say) when questioned by reporters afterward.

Bob

The reporting player has to be announced publicly by the referee prior to the snap so that the defense knows. That was the issue on this play: the referee reported 70 was eligible (though he never actually reported to the referee). The defense was correct to rely on that (incorrect) information. The referees messed up, plain and simple.