News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Draft a QB or keep Tommy " Cutlets" DeVito?

Started by brownelvis54, December 31, 2023, 08:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draft a QB this year?

brownelvis54

I think we should draft a QB in this upcoming draft, no matter what. But it may not be what you are thinking. Looking at our QB situation...It is painfully obvious to me that the QBs on our roster are NOT the answer moving forward. The "cutlet" story was a cute one and much needed during our awful season this year, but that is all it was: a cute story.

We are stuck with Jones for 2024. Thats a fact. When we pick in the draft...and if the top 3 QBs are gone, IMO we should without a doubt take the best player available. We need game changing players at almost every position.

I do think that after round 1, should a QB fall to the 2nd round (Bo Nix, Quinn Ewers, or J.J. McCarthy) it might be a good idea to draft one.

As the later rounds come, round 4 in particular, I would look hard for a QB with the best upside. It makes sense to me. Taylor will probably be gone next year and I think we have seen the best of what Devito brings us.

We might strike gold and at the very least have a cheap back up for years to come. Guys like Joe Milton III, Michael Pratt, and Spencer Rattler would be better options than "cutlets"

Here are the QB rankings by Walter football.

https://walterfootball.com/draft2024QB.php

The KING is in the building

DaveBrown74

I want us to draft a QB provided there is one we believe in who is obtainable (either by picking him or moving up to get him, if possible).

I have no interest in forcing the pick though. I only want a guy our front office believes in wholeheartedly after doing an exorbitant amount of due diligence.

No matter what DeVito is not, never was, and never will be the long term answer at starter. It's possible he might be capable of being a decent backup.

brownelvis54

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 31, 2023, 09:06:24 PMI want us to draft a QB provided there is one we believe in who is obtainable (either by picking him or moving up to get him, if possible).

I have no interest in forcing the pick though. I only want a guy our front office believes in wholeheartedly after doing an exorbitant amount of due diligence.

No matter what DeVito is not, never was, and never will be the long-term answer at starter. It's possible he might be capable of being a decent backup.

I disagree Dave. Especially when discussing a 4TH round pick. My eyes see what Devito is. I see no upside whatsoever, lots of 4th rounder don't pan out, and again we might get lucky, so why not take a chance? Spencer Rattler or Joe Milton has more upside than cutlets. Tommy was undrafted for a reason.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: brownelvis54 on December 31, 2023, 09:11:10 PMI disagree Dave. Especially when discussing a 4TH round pick. My eyes see what Devito is. I see no upside whatsoever, lots of 4th rounder don't pan out, and again we might get lucky, so why not take a chance? Spencer Rattler or Joe Milton has more upside than cutlets. Tommy was undrafted for a reason.

I misunderstood the OP. I thought I was being asked if we should draft a QB with our first pick or not. I didn't realize you were asking if we should draft a QB specifically in the 4th round. I obviously don't think that. I want a first round QB if we are able to get someone the front office likes.

brownelvis54

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 31, 2023, 09:12:37 PMI misunderstood the OP. I thought I was being asked if we should draft a QB with our first pick or not. I didn't realize you were asking if we should draft a QB specifically in the 4th round. I obviously don't think that. I want a first round QB if we are able to get someone the front office likes.

Understood Dave. I don't want us to reach either. Check out these rankings Dave. Are their any here you would burn a late round pick on?

DaveBrown74

Quote from: brownelvis54 on December 31, 2023, 09:15:18 PMUnderstood Dave. I don't want us to reach either. Check out these rankings Dave. Are their any here you would burn a late round pick on?

Probably not. I'd rather use the later rounds for other positions where we are more likely to hit on a player and focus our attention on the first round if we're drafting a QB.

Jclayton92

We have to grab a guy this year period. There will not be another class in the next 3 years that has the Qb talent that this one does.

2025 is not the year for all those wanting to continue building and then get a guy. The best prospect in 2025 will either be Sheddur Sanders or Jaxson Dart, with Micheal Pratt, Cam Ward, and the Leonard kid being later round guys. The one question mark will be Drew Allar who a ton project as the number 1 overall pick but he has looked absolutely awful.

So this is the year, otherwise we just continue our losing ways with stop gap vets.

coggs

Whether they draft a QB or not, want no part of DeVito on this team next year.

T200

It's not an 'either/or' situation.

Jones will be on the roster barring a Godsend of a trade deal.

Taylor is nothing more than a stop-gap backup that won't be back in part due to Jones's contract.

DeVito will be back as a backup only.

The Giants WILL draft a QB in April.

DeVito and the rookie will battle it out to see who starts the season until Jones is cleared to play.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

JT39

Get rid of Taylor.
Get rid of Devito.

Draft a QB. And Jones backs him up.

It's this simple.

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: JT39 on December 31, 2023, 10:25:21 PMGet rid of Taylor.
Get rid of Devito.

It's this simple.

Jones isn't a backup for more than a season. DeVito very well could be. So it's not as simple as you're presenting.

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 31, 2023, 09:36:02 PMWe have to grab a guy this year period. There will not be another class in the next 3 years that has the Qb talent that this one does.

2025 is not the year for all those wanting to continue building and then get a guy. The best prospect in 2025 will either be Sheddur Sanders or Jaxson Dart, with Micheal Pratt, Cam Ward, and the Leonard kid being later round guys. The one question mark will be Drew Allar who a ton project as the number 1 overall pick but he has looked absolutely awful.

So this is the year, otherwise we just continue our losing ways with stop gap vets.

My good friend , a Penn State alumni and ravid Nittany Lions fan, tells me that Beau Pribula , the back up QB is muchg better than Allard

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: brownelvis54 on December 31, 2023, 08:55:43 PMI think we should draft a QB in this upcoming draft, no matter what. But it may not be what you are thinking. Looking at our QB situation...It is painfully obvious to me that the QBs on our roster are NOT the answer moving forward. The "cutlet" story was a cute one and much needed during our awful season this year, but that is all it was: a cute story.

We are stuck with Jones for 2024. Thats a fact. When we pick in the draft...and if the top 3 QBs are gone, IMO we should without a doubt take the best player available. We need game changing players at almost every position.

I do think that after round 1, should a QB fall to the 2nd round (Bo Nix, Quinn Ewers, or J.J. McCarthy) it might be a good idea to draft one.

As the later rounds come, round 4 in particular, I would look hard for a QB with the best upside. It makes sense to me. Taylor will probably be gone next year and I think we have seen the best of what Devito brings us.

We might strike gold and at the very least have a cheap back up for years to come. Guys like Joe Milton III, Michael Pratt, and Spencer Rattler would be better options than "cutlets"

The thought in Austin is that Ewers will be returning to  QB Texas next year. Malik Murphy , a 4 star recruit entered the portal and is transferreing to Duke , which makes me quite happy since I am a Duke grad and our football program is on the up swing.

Stringer Bell

Tommy Devito will not factor into any decision the Giants make next year - at QB, what they do in the draft, or any other personnel decision. He's a true 'Mr. Irrelevant'.

That said, the only guy I like with a high #1 is Maye, and I don't think they'll have a shot at him with the Bears trading #1 overall again (guessing to LV) and then Washington taking Maye.

And I'm not a fan of any of the second tier guys in this class. While I understand the urgency that Jclayton expresses to address the position, what I don't want them doing is reaching on subpar talent (haven't we learned our lesson on that?).

The 2025 class should be a strong one, and I'd load uo in filling holes across the rest of the roster in 2024 and then roll the dice on a QB in 2025.

JT39

Quote from: JT39 on December 31, 2023, 10:25:21 PMGet rid of Taylor.
Get rid of Devito.

It's this simple.
Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on December 31, 2023, 11:42:03 PMJones isn't a backup for more than a season. DeVito very well could be. So it's not as simple as you're presenting.

Tommy Devito is not very good at football. You can find a journeyman or draft a rookie the following year to back up whoever we draft.

We cannot accept mediocrity anymore. Cut bait with the stink and bring in actual talent.