News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT- Aaron Rodgers once again shows he is not a good man

Started by MightyGiants, January 03, 2024, 11:04:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

killarich

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 04, 2024, 06:37:12 AMWhat disgusting behavior?  I loved the man show.  It was funny and had girls on trampolines.

I wish we judged our elected officials as harshly.

Didnt Kimmel do a "blackface" skit ?

Im not pointing this upcoming comment at you ?

if Rodgers did that, his career would probably be done and he would be getting straight destroyed in this thread

Media controls who we can hate or forgive based on certain things

Both are scumbags

Fletch

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 03, 2024, 05:34:52 PMRodgers is a lightning rod, and he is a lightning rod on purpose. He is outspoken, and he brings a lot of controversy on himself. He also is deliberately provocative at times. For example, he called Travis Kelce "Mr. Pfizer" in what was clearly a derisive way, even though Kelce never said anything provocative directed at Rodgers. Obviously it's a free country and he is free to say things like Mr. Pfizer, although attempting to defame Jimmy Kimmel with false allegations is objectively wrong, period, and defamatory statements like that can have consequences.

How would you feel if someone falsely accused you of associating with a known serial rapist of children? How would you react?

I don't go on TV and imply someone is a dumb jock and weird and got hit in the head one too many times  because they didn't take a vaccine either. I don't like Kimmel (or any of the not-funny , too political windbag "comedians" late night shows) and thought Aaron Rodgers joke was funny. Further I like Rodgers . Why are we getting so sensitive all of a sudden.

I'll ask again - If we're going to point the dirty  end of the stick at Rodgers , can we at least be fair about it and let's start pointing it at some of the other players who do far more reprehensible things than making an edgy joke, like actual criminal behavior. Heck we might as well stop watching sports then all together. Why pick and choose selected outrage ?

katkavage

Quote from: Fletch on January 04, 2024, 07:09:23 AMI don't go on TV and imply someone is a dumb jock and weird and got hit in the head one too many times  because they didn't take a vaccine either. I don't like Kimmel (or any of the not-funny , too political windbag "comedians" late night shows) and thought Aaron Rodgers joke was funny. Further I like Rodgers . Why are we getting so sensitive all of a sudden.

The great George Carlin is spinning in his grave. Not to mention Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor, and so many other great "political" comedians. And never forget the Carlin bit comparing football to baseball.

BlueMoshik

Aaron Rodgers is a douchebag and always has been. An obnoxious, insufferable, selfish jerk.

Doesn't matter what your politics are. Lying about the vax was sheer douchebaggery. If you are one of the people who thinks the vax is bad or whatever, say that and accept the consequences, which is what several other folks in football did. Aaron Rodgers is only concerned with himself. Always has been. he also thinks he's some kind of independent thinker when really he's just a high profile troll.

I saw the episode of Hard Knocks which shows him talking down to a young Giants defender (can't remember who that was) who had the nerve to stand up to him. Judge for your self. It was clear that Rodgers has no respect for others.

One of my happiest moments as Giants fan was when we kicked his ass in the 2011 playoffs even though the refs did everything they could to try to help him win.

I don't care about Kimmel one way or another, but even mediocre comedians deserve not to be casually accused of pedophilia by a brain-dead QB. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on January 03, 2024, 07:43:27 PMI don't know why you guys get so emotionally involved in this nonsense. Two multimillionaires drawing more attention. It's their issue. As JimV would say, "Who Cares".

I care, I care a lot.  I am distressed that so many in our nation have decided that the following traits are no longer aspirational:

honesty

integrity

character

compassion

Hell, we had one member clearly state that he likes people more if they lie and slander.

On top of that on a personal note, I was raised on Marvel Comics as a kid.  One of the foundations of the Marvel comic universe was the dying words of Spiderman's Uncle Ben:

with great power comes great responsibility

We witness people who have the power of wealth and of a public megaphone (in the form of a TV show, podcast, or celebrity) misuse and abuse that power to harm others.

As a society or an individual, there is little we can do.  The only thing we can do is speak out and condemn such behavior.  If enough people do that, then the people providing horrible people like Aaron Rodgers, his power will hold him to account.  If that happens often enough maybe we will see a return to our lost values.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: BlueMoshik on January 04, 2024, 08:19:07 AMAaron Rodgers is a douchebag and always has been. An obnoxious, insufferable, selfish jerk.

Doesn't matter what your politics are. Lying about the vax was sheer douchebaggery. If you are one of the people who thinks the vax is bad or whatever, say that and accept the consequences, which is what several other folks in football did. Aaron Rodgers is only concerned with himself. Always has been. he also thinks he's some kind of independent thinker when really he's just a high profile troll.

I saw the episode of Hard Knocks which shows him talking down to a young Giants defender (can't remember who that was) who had the nerve to stand up to him. Judge for your self. It was clear that Rodgers has no respect for others.

One of my happiest moments as Giants fan was when we kicked his ass in the 2011 playoffs even though the refs did everything they could to try to help him win.

I don't care about Kimmel one way or another, but even mediocre comedians deserve not to be casually accused of pedophilia by a brain-dead QB. 

=D>  =D>  =D>  =D>  =D>
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Quote from: Fletch on January 04, 2024, 07:09:23 AMI don't go on TV and imply someone is a dumb jock and weird and got hit in the head one too many times  because they didn't take a vaccine either. I don't like Kimmel (or any of the not-funny , too political windbag "comedians" late night shows) and thought Aaron Rodgers joke was funny. Further I like Rodgers . Why are we getting so sensitive all of a sudden.

I'll ask again - If we're going to point the dirty  end of the stick at Rodgers , can we at least be fair about it and let's start pointing it at some of the other players who do far more reprehensible things than making an edgy joke, like actual criminal behavior. Heck we might as well stop watching sports then all together. Why pick and choose selected outrage ?

Why are you so sensitive about this?

T200

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 04, 2024, 08:45:26 AMWhy are you so sensitive about this?
I think it's human nature to naturally side with or defend someone with whom you share similar views and perspectives. On the flipside, it's easier to call someone out if you don't like them or their views.

It's playing out in this thread.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

killarich

Quote from: T200 on January 04, 2024, 08:51:28 AMI think it's human nature to naturally side with or defend someone with whom you share similar views and perspectives. On the flipside, it's easier to call someone out if you don't like them or their views.

Yea .... im not saying what Rodgers said wasnt wrong

But you cant defend Kimmel like hes an Angel.... the dude straight did a blackface..... if this was Rodgers it would be held against him

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 04, 2024, 06:37:12 AMWhat disgusting behavior?  I loved the man show.  It was funny and had girls on trampolines.

I wish we judged our elected officials as harshly.

I have made it abundantly clear where I stand on what Rodgers did to Kimmel, and nothing Kimmel has done in the past justifies him being the victim of what Rodgers did. That's a given, and anyone who disagrees with that is misguided in my opinion. What Rodgers did was unequivocally bad, and he is a doosh for doing it. Period.

With that said, separately, to address your question about "disgusting behavior", I would argue some of Kimmel's material from the past probably wouldn't fly in today's climate:

https://twitter.com/amuse/status/1690298908109422594

https://twitter.com/fleccas/status/917945914790002693

While some may find the above funny, plenty of women wouldn't, and plenty would argue it is offensive to women.

Again - I'm not saying any of this justifies what Aaron Rodgers did, because it clearly doesn't, but I'm not inclined to put Jimmy Kimmel up on some moral high ground above the rest of us either.

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on January 04, 2024, 08:51:28 AMI think it's human nature to naturally side with or defend someone with whom you share similar views and perspectives. On the flipside, it's easier to call someone out if you don't like them or their views.

Tim,

Calling out bad behavior is never a bad thing, in my opinion.  What is toxic and destructive is excusing or even praising bad behavior just because that person has similar views and perspectives.

I will share an analogy.  Back when I was working on the ambulance, there was a policy that before you pulled the ambulance back into the bay, you needed to check the fuel level.  If it was not over half, you were required to pull the ambulance around back and fuel it up.

Now, with analog gas gauges, if you move your head to one side of the gauge, you can create what's known as a parallax error.  The gauge will appear slightly higher than the true reading.  Now it wasn't uncommon when the gauge was at the halfway mark or very slightly below, people would push their heads almost out the window and declare (we're good, it's more than half), especially if it was 2 in the morning you wish to get back to bed a grab a few Zs before work the next day.

I think that is the natural state of what you are describing.  Now what we are witnessing are people looking at less than a quarter of a tank of gas and saying "screw it, that's more than half a tank".

So from my perspective, it's a matter of degree.  A little "hometown" bias is natural and relatively harmless.  When you decide facts and values no longer matter, than it's a serious problem.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: killarich on January 04, 2024, 09:01:45 AMYea .... im not saying what Rodgers said wasnt wrong

But you cant defend Kimmel like hes an Angel.... the dude straight did a blackface..... if this was Rodgers it would be held against him
My participation in this thread was about Rodgers' lying about being vaccinated and Fletch's attempt to minimize it.

I'm not a Kimmel fan but I understand why he's upset and can appreciate his response to Rodgers.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

killarich

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 04, 2024, 09:08:27 AMTim,

Calling out bad behavior is never a bad thing, in my opinion.  What is toxic and destructive is excusing or even praising bad behavior just because that person has similar views and perspectives.

I will share an analogy.  Back when I was working on the ambulance, there was a policy that before you pulled the ambulance back into the bay, you needed to check the fuel level.  If it was not over half, you were required to pull the ambulance around back and fuel it up.

Now, with analog gas gauges, if you move your head to one side of the gauge, you can create what's known as a parallax error.  The gauge will appear slightly higher than the true reading.  Now it wasn't uncommon when the gauge was at the halfway mark or very slightly below, people would push their heads almost out the window and declare (we're good, it's more than half), especially if it was 2 in the morning you wish to get back to bed a grab a few Zs before work the next day.

I think that is the natural state of what you are describing.  Now what we are witnessing are people looking at less than a quarter of a tank of gas and saying "screw it, that's more than half a tank".

So from my perspective, it's a matter of degree.  A little "hometown" bias is natural and relatively harmless.  When you decide facts and values no longer matter, than it's a serious problem.

Im going to play Devils Advocate:

Here are some facts;

Rodgers is an azz, makes douchebag comments, said something about Kimmel he probably shouldnt have , and lied about his Vaccination status ... which imo really shouldnt be anybodies business

Kimmel makes Douchebag comments constantly, hes more political now so he tries to be "safe" with it now, old school Kimmel makes Rodgers seem minor league, Kimmel did a blackface skit and has borderline sexually harrassed women

This whole thread 100% defending one person because of his political beliefs not his actual character... that is facts

killarich

Quote from: T200 on January 04, 2024, 09:16:49 AMMy participation in this thread was about Rodgers' lying about being vaccinated and Fletch's attempt to minimize it.

I'm not a Kimmel fan but I understand why he's upset and can appreciate his response to Rodgers.

I have nothing against his response either and also understand why hes upset. But Kimmel is a worse person than Rodgers , he shouldnt be held on some moral high ground here.

TDToomer

Quote from: killarich on January 04, 2024, 09:18:35 AMIm going to play Devils Advocate:

Here are some facts;

Rodgers is an azz, makes douchebag comments, said something about Kimmel he probably shouldnt have , and lied about his Vaccination status ... which imo really shouldnt be anybodies business

Kimmel makes Douchebag comments constantly, hes more political now so he tries to be "safe" with it now, old school Kimmel makes Rodgers seem minor league, Kimmel did a blackface skit and has borderline sexually harrassed women

This whole thread 100% defending one person because of his political beliefs not his actual character... that is facts

Here are some facts. Comedians make fun of people. That is their job. This call out is like some members of Congress recently demanded SNL apologize for a skit where they actually made more fun of the so called "liberal elite" College Presidents than Stefanik.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs