News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Interesting comment by Jordon Raanan

Started by MightyGiants, January 04, 2024, 03:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

If this is true, what does that say about Daboll and his abilities as a head coach?

https://x.com/clt_ny/status/1742993040917008495?s=20
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Dumpster Dan

What does it mean "if it were their choice"////

Are they chained to their desks at Giants Stadium???

Dumpster Dan

T200

QuoteOn his pod @JordanRaanan says he thinks if
My first and immediate thought is, "Who the hell cares what he thinks??? What does that have to do with anything?"

On top of that, Wink and Kafka have a choice. They all have a choice. It's called a resignation.

Some of these "reporters" should try reporting instead of spitting out what they think.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: Dumpster Dan on January 04, 2024, 03:31:49 PMWhat does it mean "if it were their choice"////

Are they chained to their desks at Giants Stadium???

Dumpster Dan

I guess an unhappy coordinator could ask for their release (or simply not renew their contract when it expires), but that is rather unusual, and I suspect such a move may put a negative on their resume. 

Admittedly, much of this is somewhat virgin territory as most HCs hire coordinators they know and have worked with before as opposed to Daboll's interview and hire the most qualified approach.

While Daboll's approach intuitively seems like the better approach, when things go south (like they did last season) you don't have a foundational friendship to help weather the storm. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on January 04, 2024, 03:34:33 PMMy first and immediate thought is, "Who the hell cares what he thinks??? What does that have to do with anything?"

On top of that, Wink and Kafka have a choice. They all have a choice. It's called a resignation.

Some of these "reporters" should try reporting instead of spitting out what they think.

For what it's worth, there was that very reliable source who announced that there were serious tensions between Dabs and Wink.  Most discussions on the topic seemed to indicate that the problem was more Wink having issues with Daboll than vice versa.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Dabs seems like he's a screamer. We've seen him flip out at players plenty of times before. If he does anything like that with coordinators and assistants (even less loud but just very abrupt, emotional reactions), not everyone is good with that in a work environment. I know I would have a hard time working under someone who was like that.

Now of course there's a difference between doing that with a player in a game situation and doing it in a workplace setting during the workweek. The latter would be much less acceptable in my view. I have no idea if he actually does that, but if that side of his personality that we see during games plays itself out during the workweek with his staff, I could see how that could cause problems.

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 04, 2024, 03:39:03 PMFor what it's worth, there was that very reliable source who announced that there were serious tensions between Dabs and Wink.  Most discussions on the topic seemed to indicate that the problem was more Wink having issues with Daboll than vice versa.
That doesn't have anything to do with Ranaan sharing what he thinks Wink would do. They lose me with stuff like this.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on January 04, 2024, 03:49:50 PMThat doesn't have anything to do with Ranaan sharing what he thinks Wink would do. They lose me with stuff like this.

Tim,

I appreciate what you are saying, and to a large extent, I agree.  In this particular instance, I think the other information available just makes this one incident more relevant to me.

I hope his comments gain some traction, as I would love to hear what other beat reporters think.

While, in general, I don't put a huge amount of faith in beat reporters, I am mindful that they have the best access to the team and see and hear things we, as fans, don't have access to. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Giant Obsession

Both Wink and Kafka will not be here next season.

Followed by midseason next year by HC "Sparky".

And Shoen is on a shorter leash than ever.

We are in cap hell.....again.

And this draft better be special, cuz the first two ain't even close.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

LennG

Someone, please tell me why a coordinator, or anyone for that matter, would leave not knowing if they will be working the next year. Come on, last year both were in huge demand and both would probably get jobs somewhere right now, but in the real world, you just don't leave when you have nothing else on the table. Moey still talks and bills need to be paid, so why leave a cushy paying job because ??????????????
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

There could be a number of reasons why they would want to leave or give that impression. I don't think they would be stupid enough to bury their HC to a reporter. Perhaps they are fed up with the NY media. Or perhaps the Fickle fans. Maybe he caught them on a bad day. Lots of pressure on Daboll and those Coaches this year. Think about what that could possibly be like getting your competency questioned every other day, X, FB, Instagram, Threads, Podcasts, and daily articles keeping everyone relevant. They make tremendous sacrifices to do their jobs 18 hours a day, about 350 days a year.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

4 Aces

Wink's old school and comes from the Buddy Ryan tree. The same thing that got Kevin Gilbride punched in the face is rearing its head again.

Daboll's offense stinks, and it affects Wink's D. Yet Wink is taking guff from Daboll during the week. You know the relationship was pretty much done when Wink told Pam Oliver that bit about having to outplay the other team's offense and defense.

Doc16LT56

Quote from: LennG on January 04, 2024, 04:48:02 PMSomeone, please tell me why a coordinator, or anyone for that matter, would leave not knowing if they will be working the next year. Come on, last year both were in huge demand and both would probably get jobs somewhere right now, but in the real world, you just don't leave when you have nothing else on the table. Moey still talks and bills need to be paid, so why leave a cushy paying job because ??????????????
Thanks for posting this bit of common sense. I'm not sure why it's so hard for folks to imagine coaches who love being in the NFL but don't love their current situation. The "choice" Raanan is talking about is a coordinator job with another organization. How often do we hear about players wanting to be traded to a team of their choosing. They aren't dumb enough to walk away from the contract, they just want to be in a better situation.

I don't know if Jordan's reporting is true but I believe a source he trusts fed him this info. He didn't just make it up.

MagicRat

Not going to lie, I had to Google "druthers".
Smell my cheese you mother!

killarich

Wink needs to stay , I hope whatver beef he has with Daboll can get fixed

Kafka can go.... go far away