News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Interesting comment by Jordon Raanan

Started by MightyGiants, January 04, 2024, 03:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Quote from: killarich on January 05, 2024, 04:58:52 AMWink needs to stay , I hope whatver beef he has with Daboll can get fixed

Kafka can go.... go far away

I do think the Giants would look bad (Daboll in particular) if they sacked Wink after just two seasons here. He is very well respected around the league.

kingm56

Why does this story have to be related to the Head Coach?  NFL coordinators are competitive; by proxy, they want to be viewed as the best in their relative professions.  To be the best, you must possess talent/difference-makers, which the Giants have little. I'm sure each would prefer better situations to produce top-tier offensive/defensive rankings.  Unless something dramatically happens over next 6-months, that's unlikely to happen in NY, especially if we enter a 6th season with DJ as our starting QB.

kingm56

Quote from: killarich on January 05, 2024, 04:58:52 AMWink needs to stay , I hope whatver beef he has with Daboll can get fixed

Kafka can go.... go far away

Why do you want to retain a DC responsible for producing the NFL's 28th ranked Defense?  For goodness sake, the Giants have allowed 47 TDs, 24.8 PPG and 366 YPG.  Every single defensive metric points to the Giants being a bottom 5 defensive team.   While the Giants Offense hasn't produced any better results with a 30th overall ranking, it shouldn't be lost on anyone that side of the ball was hit with far more injuries, having lost 2x QBs, AP RB, TE, and AP LT for significant portions of the season.  In short, it seems many are holding Kafka to a different standard than Wink.  The latter is getting a pass for producing similar results, while the former is viewed as the impetus of our offensive foibles.  Kafka is far from a primary reason for the Giants offensive struggles, just like the 4 OCs who proceeded him over the last 6 years.  The Giants don't have a single dynamic player on offense, a QB who's never been a prolific pass, at any level, and one of the worst Olines in the league.  There's not a single OC in the league that would produce tangible improvement with the same talent.  I am far more critical of Wink, who produced the same results with better talent.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: kingm56 on January 05, 2024, 06:44:34 AMWhy does this story have to be related to the Head Coach? 

Fair question/point Matt.

I guess my response would be that I can't think of a great deal of examples where a coordinator leaves a job on his own volition to go to another coordinator job.

We obviously see lateral moves happen in other industries all the time, but I can't say I think they're commonplace in the NFL.

I'm not even sure if Wink was "fired" in Baltimore, but it was pretty obvious he had some sort of falling out with Harbaugh and it was at best a "mutual" decision for him to leave. I don't think everything was honky dory and he just decided to up and leave one of the best franchises in the NFL for one of the worst (as far as the last decade goes).

Anyway we'll see. This stuff isn't keeping me up at night. I care at least 100x more about what our roster looks like in early Sep. Especially at the QB position.

kingm56

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 05, 2024, 07:06:39 AMFair question/point Matt.

I guess my response would be that I can't think of a great deal of examples where a coordinator leaves a job on his own volition to go to another coordinator job.

We obviously see lateral moves happen in other industries all the time, but I can't say I think they're commonplace in the NFL.

I'm not even sure if Wink was "fired" in Baltimore, but it was pretty obvious he had some sort of falling out with Harbaugh and it was at best a "mutual" decision for him to leave. I don't think everything was honky dory and he just decided to up and leave one of the best franchises in the NFL for one of the worst (as far as the last decade goes).

Anyway we'll see. This stuff isn't keeping me up at night. I care at least 100x more about what our roster looks like in early Sep. Especially at the QB position.

Good stuff, Jeff! Fundamentally, I don't blame Kafka for wanting a better situation; his expertise revolves around a passing offense.  Currently, he's saddled with a QB and Oline completely inept in that department.  Concerning Wink, it shouldn't be lost on anyone that Balt defensive is significantly better without him.  I'm not suggesting  he's a bad DC; instead, I'm suggesting we won't see improvement until we get an infusion of talent on both sides of the ball, independent of the coordinators.   

killarich

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 05, 2024, 06:28:14 AMI do think the Giants would look bad (Daboll in particular) if they sacked Wink after just two seasons here. He is very well respected around the league.

Yeaaa ... and defense is far from perect but it has kept us in many games

kingm56

Quote from: killarich on January 05, 2024, 07:59:39 AMYeaaa ... and defense is far from perect but it has kept us in many games

To be fair, the def also lost us a few games; they also allowed more than 30 points in 7 of 16 games.  At the end of the day, both sides of the ball were bottom 5; thus, I'm having a hard time understanding why Kafka is vilified and Wink gets a pass.  Again, the latter had more talent than the former; yet, produced similar results. 

Doc16LT56

Quote from: kingm56 on January 05, 2024, 06:56:24 AMWhy do you want to retain a DC responsible for producing the NFL's 28th ranked Defense?  For goodness sake, the Giants have allowed 47 TDs, 24.8 PPG and 366 YPG.  Every single defensive metric points to the Giants being a bottom 5 defensive team.  While the Giants Offense hasn't produced any better results with a 30th overall ranking, it shouldn't be lost on anyone that side of the ball was hit with far more injuries, having lost 2x QBs, AP RB, TE, and AP LT for significant portions of the season.  In short, it seems many are holding Kafka to a different standard than Wink.  The latter is getting a pass for producing similar results, while the former is viewed as the impetus of our offensive foibles.  Kafka is far from a primary reason for the Giants offensive struggles, just like the 4 OCs who proceeded him over the last 6 years.  The Giants don't have a single dynamic player on offense, a QB who's never been a prolific pass, at any level, and one of the worst Olines in the league.  There's not a single OC in the league that would produce tangible improvement with the same talent.  I am far more critical of Wink, who produced the same results with better talent.
Good post. This defense has inexplicably been so overrated. 29th in run defense, 28th last year. They give up nearly 5 yards a carry on the road. This is pitiful.

TDToomer

It wouldn't surprise me if Ken Dorsey is the next OC.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

AZGiantFan

If he doesn't stay on as LV's HC, I'd like to see the Giants take a hard look at Antonio Pierce for DC.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

beaugestus

Quote from: kingm56 on January 05, 2024, 06:56:24 AMWhy do you want to retain a DC responsible for producing the NFL's 28th ranked Defense?  For goodness sake, the Giants have allowed 47 TDs, 24.8 PPG and 366 YPG.  Every single defensive metric points to the Giants being a bottom 5 defensive team.   While the Giants Offense hasn't produced any better results with a 30th overall ranking, it shouldn't be lost on anyone that side of the ball was hit with far more injuries, having lost 2x QBs, AP RB, TE, and AP LT for significant portions of the season.  In short, it seems many are holding Kafka to a different standard than Wink.  The latter is getting a pass for producing similar results, while the former is viewed as the impetus of our offensive foibles.  Kafka is far from a primary reason for the Giants offensive struggles, just like the 4 OCs who proceeded him over the last 6 years.  The Giants don't have a single dynamic player on offense, a QB who's never been a prolific pass, at any level, and one of the worst Olines in the league.  There's not a single OC in the league that would produce tangible improvement with the same talent.  I am far more critical of Wink, who produced the same results with better talent.

I have said it before and I apologize who have seen my posts before I think the league has caught up with Wink's D. I am not qualified to talk about the lack of talent that he has to work with, but it is my HIMO. They have.

BluesCruz

Id be happy with Wink as HC and Daboll in LA coaching the Chargers
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

nicky1000

Quote from: Giant Obsession on January 04, 2024, 04:00:28 PMBoth Wink and Kafka will not be here next season.

Followed by midseason next year by HC "Sparky".

And Shoen is on a shorter leash than ever.

We are in cap hell.....again.

And this draft better be special, cuz the first two ain't even close.

I think Schoen and Daboll are safe, even next year unless we are even worse than this year. Perhaps Daboll more on hot seat than Schoen but the GM will have much more time in the seat. As for cap hell, it is not the long term Gettleman cap hell, it is short term, with outs and work-arounds.

That said the one thing that confuses me is how these teams always somehow trade for superstars give them these huge contracts and never seem to be in the year to year situation where they're bumping up against the cap like we are without any of the massive signings.

Trench

Wink has not utilized Thibs to his strengths. This is a big problem. 90% of the time when he drops into coverage he isn't even involved in the play and worse, he looks out of sorts. The other issue is this scheme hasn't produced the QB pressure it is intended to do. We are absolutely horrible defending the screen pass and the run up the middle.

On a positive note, our young safeties (Pinnock/Belton) have shown they can do the job in the event we let McKinney walk. The loss of Love has turned out to be a lot more than people anticipated. This years defense just looked  different without him.

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: kingm56 on January 05, 2024, 06:56:24 AMWhy do you want to retain a DC responsible for producing the NFL's 28th ranked Defense?  For goodness sake, the Giants have allowed 47 TDs, 24.8 PPG and 366 YPG.  Every single defensive metric points to the Giants being a bottom 5 defensive team.   While the Giants Offense hasn't produced any better results with a 30th overall ranking, it shouldn't be lost on anyone that side of the ball was hit with far more injuries, having lost 2x QBs, AP RB, TE, and AP LT for significant portions of the season.  In short, it seems many are holding Kafka to a different standard than Wink.  The latter is getting a pass for producing similar results, while the former is viewed as the impetus of our offensive foibles.  Kafka is far from a primary reason for the Giants offensive struggles, just like the 4 OCs who proceeded him over the last 6 years.  The Giants don't have a single dynamic player on offense, a QB who's never been a prolific pass, at any level, and one of the worst Olines in the league.  There's not a single OC in the league that would produce tangible improvement with the same talent.  I am far more critical of Wink, who produced the same results with better talent.
That ranking is deceptive for a few reasons:

1st and most importantly, this team is inept on special teams as well as on offense. Which means that the defense has often dealt with short fields as well as fatigue from all of the three and outs.
Sooner or later you're going to burn out as a defender playing under those circumstances. Credit to Wink and the defense for continuing to fight.

2nd like the offense, they have had to fight through injuries as well as developing young talent. I don't think it's a stretch to say that he's handled it better than the offense and special teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!