News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

As of right now, what grade would you give Joe Schoen since he was hired as GM?

Started by DaveBrown74, January 08, 2024, 12:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What grade does Schoen deserve so far, since taking over as GM?

DaveBrown74

From day one of his being hired to right now, what grade does Schoen deserve for his job performance as GM? Why?

katkavage

The Jones contract and the Neal pick has him at a C. It could go much lower or higher depending on how he handles this critical off season.

MightyGiants

I like Schoen as a man and I like his demeanor as a GM.  I have agreed with some of his moves and disagreed with others.  Far more importantly, some of his moves have proven to be mistakes, while others have been good.

Still, this is a results-oriented business.  Schoen took over a team that was 5th worst in the league (by virtue of their 5th overall draft slot) and two years later he has them as the 6th worst.  Frankly, I expected more progress.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

madbadger

B-. If we could only keep players healthy he be a solid B. We are more talented today than we were when he was hired and left in cap hell.

ozzie

I give him a "B". For the same reasons as Badger. Plus, keep in mind even though he was Beane's assistant GM in Buffalo. it's a big step to become the head man. As a first time GM, mistakes are going to be made and there will be some rough patches, but overall I like the direction the team is headed despite the record.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

DaveBrown74

I also voted B, but I did it with some reservation. He's certainly no better than a B for me at this point. B- feels like the right grade, and I agree with the poster who said this offseason is critical and can move the grade a lot.

H-Town G-Fan

Can't be an "A" given the struggles this year and commitment (albeit manageable) to an injury-prone QB. I feel "C" is too harsh given we haven't seen his first draft class reach their 3rd season yet and he seems to have found significant contributors... but yet no true stars it seems. Reasonable minds could certainly differ.

files58

He inherited a team in Cap hell, a QB not of his and his choice of HC choosing, a meddling owner, a team bereft of talent, and a predecessor who was The Grand Wizard of Ineptitude. The Wizard, and owner are responsible for paying Jones over $1MM per career turnovers(64), and injuries, not to mention all the open receivers he didn't see. Thus hindering/stalling Schoen's way forward. Before we grade him he should be allowed to have THE QB OF HIS CHOOSING. Not the Field General(Jones) who more resembles the fake General from Where Eagles Dare who was really a mere Corporal. He gets a grade of TBD. There is some talent in place. They play hard for Daboll. This team had no business winning three games with Tommy Cutlets as QB who's agent was right out of central casting. Look what Daboll was able to do with DeVito. Last year he squeezed the lemon with Jones, and Mara misinterpreted that. For that I say fongool to you John. My posts from the last two days have been salty at best. My apologies if I have offended anyone. I've been a die hard since 1965. The Giants in that time until now are about 55 games below .500. A historical losing franchise. The one constant is the Maras.

LennG

I don't see how he can earn a B, if only for his dealings with Jones and that ridiculous contract. Also, his drafts haven't been outstanding and the Neal pic, as of now, would keep him at a C.

As was said he has done some good things, like getting Simmons for a song and a dance, and with the right DC, Simmons could be a force. His FAs have been hit and miss, missing on the WRs and hitting on LB.

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

T200

He gets a 'C' from me.

- He gambled by not exercising Daniel Jones' 5th-year option. For the record, I would have done the same thing. He lost. He gave Jones an overinflated contract and it didn't work out. He had the foresight to leave himself an out after two years. He's going to need it.

- The team is no better than what he inherited but they were able to make it to the playoffs last season and win a game. It counts for something.

- His backup QBs were solid and won a few games.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Giant Obsession

My grade of C would be lower

BUT

How much control did he really have in his dealings with Daniel Jones and Barkley ??  How much interference from above ??

If no interference then he is a D minus for cap management.

DJ should have been free to make his own best deal around the league since we had right to match.  And that is not hindsight, it is based on ONE above average year and 4 sukko years of performance.

Barkley is and has been a diminishing asset.  Trade deadline last year was the time to move him.  Instead we can enjoy his bellyaching this off season regarding his salary.

If generational talent gets you ONE playoff appearance every 6 years then I pass.  Great talent way underused wisely on a bad team equals...well, take a look at us.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

londonblue

Truthfully an incomplete.

There are positives from the drafts and free agency and there are busts (with OL the gaping wound). There were good business decisions (not overpaying Saquon long term) and bad ones (overpaying DJ). The jury is still out on the HC. We are a combined 15-18-1. That feels like a C/C- but with so much uncertainty on where we will shake out next year that is not a confident grade.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

nb587

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 08, 2024, 12:48:59 PMI like Schoen as a man and I like his demeanor as a GM.  I have agreed with some of his moves and disagreed with others.  Far more importantly, some of his moves have proven to be mistakes, while others have been good.

Still, this is a results-oriented business.  Schoen took over a team that was 5th worst in the league (by virtue of their 5th overall draft slot) and two years later he has them as the 6th worst.  Frankly, I expected more progress.
Quote from: MightyGiants on January 08, 2024, 12:48:59 PMI like Schoen as a man and I like his demeanor as a GM.  I have agreed with some of his moves and disagreed with others.  Far more importantly, some of his moves have proven to be mistakes, while others have been good.

One could also say he took a team that was the 5th worst and the following year won a playoff game.  After that, he lost his starting QB and backup for extended periods (i know they won a few with cutlets) and most of his OL. And, he took over a franchise with very little to spend.

I've mentioned this before.  Having a successful year last year probably set back the franchise.  So, I'm not sure how to evaluate just yet. But, I think the lack of progress statement is simplistic.

MightyGiants

Quote from: nb587 on January 08, 2024, 03:14:06 PMOne could also say he took a team that was the 5th worst and the following year won a playoff game.  After that, he lost his starting QB and backup for extended periods (i know they won a few with cutlets) and most of his OL. And, he took over a franchise with very little to spend.

I've mentioned this before.  Having a successful year last year probably set back the franchise.  So, I'm not sure how to evaluate just yet. But, I think the lack of progress statement is simplistic.

Bill Parcells was thinking of your comment in bold when he famously said-  "You are what your record says you are"

His point was that the record is the ultimate arbitrator, and it can be dangerous when you go down the "yeah, but" road.  It's easy to talk yourself into thinking you are better than you are, that was Bill's warning.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE