News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants Overview – coaching changes so far

Started by Bigmoose, January 08, 2024, 09:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigmoose

Daball retained    ++

1)     Offense

Bobby Johnson canned      +++

Kafka  no decision yet

Comments on Offense coaching:   

Not sold on Kafka.  Wouldn't mind if he is retained, or have Daboll call the plays, can Kafka, and get an assistant to handle time management.  Kafka too many times made just the wrong play call at the worst time this year.  This called into question his situational awareness of what was needed during many games.  It also could be that the exceedingly poor offensive line play limited his play-calling/creativity to render him impotent. This is a complex call.

Need for better Offensive line coaching  -  obvious

2)     McGauchey canned      +++

Need for better special team coaching  -  obvious

3)     Defense

Wink resigned      ++

Wilson Brothers canned      +++

Comments on Defensive coaching:

Wink had to go.  While I liked his aggressive reputation, big mistake not to stick with a primary 3-4 defense given player additions this year. Was given players to rotate 3 defensive linemen majority of plays, but stayed too often with 2 linemen.  Too often this weakness against run taken advantage of.  Defensive coaching unable to overcome having two linebackers playing defensive end positions, that were an ongoing weakness with adjustments not made to correct this. 

Too often played db's 10 yards off line of scrimmage in key third downs situations leading to easy pitch and catch first downs by opposing offense.  Similar soft defensive backfield deployments led to eventual first downs in 2nd and 3rd and very long situations at key points in games. These multiple puzzling Wink decisions just did not pass the "eye test" too often this year.

Given our defensive talent, I feel we need to play an aggressive 3-4 defense, while having 3 defensive linemen on the field the majority of plays. Then be creative to mix your blitz packages.

Also, Wink as an older defensive coordinator not a good fit with younger head coach.  I believe Wink acted out (maybe not the first time as he had issues with the Ravens) and was behind "conflict" stories earlier this year.  To me this indicated possibility of his undermining Daboll along with his close assistant coaches perhaps playing a role. 

With Giants canning Wink's favorite assistant coaches first makes sense to me as response to Wink's not accepting his position as a coordinator and his not being the Head coach.  If this interpretation is accurate, I can see why the Giants went the way of "forcing" his resignation, rather than firing him outright and taking on an obligation for part or all of his salary going forward.  Given everything I've heard, I feel it is definitely time for Wink to move on.

So far Giants in my opinion have made the right coaching changes going forward for the first half of the equation.  Now it will be key that the replacements are good decisions to right the ship.