News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Interesting wrinkle in the Wink saga

Started by MightyGiants, January 09, 2024, 11:45:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 10, 2024, 03:35:45 PMWhy was Daboll singing Wink's praises, saying how great a coach he is, and wanting to keep him just a few hours earlier?   I can't help but feel the whole "Wink isn't a good DC" narrative was a construct to help people feel better about his departure.

Because coaches speak coachspeak.  Just like Harbaugh did when Wink left Baltimore.  Personally I think it is naive to take such pronouncements at face value.  In the end the Giants haven't put restriction on where he can go, so that is indicative.

I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

Quote from: AZGiantFan on January 10, 2024, 03:45:51 PMBecause coaches speak coachspeak.  Just like Harbaugh did when Wink left Baltimore.  Personally I think it is naive to take such pronouncements at face value.  In the end the Giants haven't put restriction on where he can go, so that is indicative.

Say you're correct, why was T-Mac fired prior to the early morning presser while Daboll repeatedly said he planned on keeping Wink?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 10, 2024, 03:43:25 PMDaboll did more than sing his praises; he went on record saying he wanted and planned on keeping Wink.  To me, that constitutes an action, which speaks louder than words.  Plus, how many of those saying they are happy Wink is gone (now) were saying that before Monday?
Rich,

You're trying to connect dots that aren't even in the same book, let alone the same page. You're trying to paint the picture that privately, Daboll wanted Wink gone and set a trap for him to fall into.

There were plenty of people calling out Wink for how he was scheming. Check any of the game day threads. Some of us who are NOW glad he's gone are so because of his "style" is not conducive to what Daboll is building.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on January 10, 2024, 03:48:29 PMRich,

You're trying to connect dots that aren't even in the same book, let alone the same page. You're trying to paint the picture that privately, Daboll wanted Wink gone and set a trap for him to fall into.

There were plenty of people calling out Wink for how he was scheming. Check any of the game day threads. Some of us who are NOW glad he's gone are so because of his "style" is not conducive to what Daboll is building.

Tim,

I was reviewing the scores with an eye toward assigning blame to the offense, the defense, or both (same for winning).  My idea is that defenses want to keep teams below 20 and do great. If it's below 10 and in the 20s, it can go either way and if it's over 30, it's the fault of the defense.   I also will fault an offense if it fails to get double-digit points, as that burdens a defense.    I will put out my full breakdown in a separate thread, but it appears the defense helped more and wasn't at fault less than the offense.   

As to game threads, they are packed with emotions and coaches are among the targets (fair or not) whenever the team is struggling (which it did quite a bit this season).  I am talking about the calm/clarity of mid-week and people talking about whether Wink should stay or go at the end of the season.   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 10, 2024, 03:53:31 PMTim,

I was reviewing the scores with an eye toward assigning blame to the offense, the defense, or both (same for winning).  My idea is that defenses want to keep teams below 20 and do great. If it's below 10 and in the 20s, it can go either way and if it's over 30, it's the fault of the defense.   I also will fault an offense if it fails to get double-digit points, as that burdens a defense.    I will put out my full breakdown in a separate thread, but it appears the defense helped more and wasn't at fault less than the offense.   

As to game threads, they are packed with emotions and coaches are among the targets (fair or not) whenever the team is struggling (which it did quite a bit this season).  I am talking about the calm/clarity of mid-week and people talking about whether Wink should stay or go at the end of the season.   
That whole paragraph you wrote has absolutely nothing to do with Daboll and the point you made and I refuted.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on January 10, 2024, 03:55:18 PMThat whole paragraph you wrote has absolutely nothing to do with Daboll and the point you made and I refuted.

True

I guess in my mind, I had already been thinking about this, and when people started blaming the defense, I wasn't sure how fair or accurate that was.   Still, to your point, it was a non-sequitur.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 10, 2024, 03:47:11 PMSay you're correct, why was T-Mac fired prior to the early morning presser while Daboll repeatedly said he planned on keeping Wink?

Because he knew there would be no controversy or drama over that firing
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll