News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFL's Saturday Night Playoff game effectively pay-per-view

Started by MightyGiants, January 12, 2024, 03:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

The Saturday night contest between the Miami Dolphins and Kansas City Chiefs will only be on Peacock, unless the viewer lives in the local television markets of the respective teams (the game will air free). For everyone else across the country, a Peacock subscription plans start at $5.99 per month.

More

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/why-is-dolphins-chiefs-playoff-game-exclusively-on-peacock-explaining-why-the-league-went-exclusive-to-streaming/#:~:text=The%20Saturday%20night%20contest%20between,start%20at%20%245.99%20per%20month.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

I'm not a Taylor Swift fan anyway, so there....  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

spiderblue43

Roger always talks about "growing the game" worldwide. How about here? There are less viewers watching on Peacock than without it. Hmmm. Seems like their growing the NFL coiffures instead with that deal. :o .

Giant Jim

Quote from: spiderblue43 on January 12, 2024, 04:31:50 PMRoger always talks about "growing the game" worldwide. How about here? There are less viewers watching on Peacock than without it. Hmmm. Seems like their growing the NFL coiffures instead with that deal. :o .
The article listed 110 million reasons.

uconnjack8

MightyGiants

Quote from: spiderblue43 on January 12, 2024, 04:31:50 PMRoger always talks about "growing the game" worldwide. How about here? There are less viewers watching on Peacock than without it. Hmmm. Seems like their growing the NFL coiffures instead with that deal. :o .

I think this is what you call killing the golden goose.   Greed for short-term gain while sacrificing long term growth and stability.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Sem

Screw them!! I'd just as soon watch reruns of Joanie Loves Chachi than subscribe to a streaming service, in what amounts to PPV, just to watch a game that I don't even care who wins.

uconnjack8

Until this changes they will test every revenue stream.  pun unintended

nb587

I have peacock because there was an offer of $20 a year and I like watching the Premier league.  I think I read that Oppenheimer will be on peacock.  But, if I didnt have the station, I would not buy it for an NFl playoff game.  They should not be able to get away with it.  If they do, I can see the Super Bowl on pay for view for major bucks

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 12, 2024, 06:12:33 PMThey have a 50% off deal going right now

Interesting.

So if I'm understanding correctly, I can join for $5.99 a month, get 50% off that, and then cancel it after this game (or after one month). So I'll be paying $3 to watch this game basically.

I have two issues with this:

(1) The principle of it

(2) The hassle factor and dealing with all this crap when I just want to flip on the TV and watch a game.

I'm going to have to think about this, but I'm strongly leaning towards not doing it. I find the whole thing irritating and petty. I realize the trend is moving in the direction of cord-cutting and just going completely to streaming, but we're not completely there yet, and the NFL fanbase certainly isn't. I think it's lame.

uconnjack8

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 13, 2024, 06:01:34 AMInteresting.

So if I'm understanding correctly, I can join for $5.99 a month, get 50% off that, and then cancel it after this game (or after one month). So I'll be paying $3 to watch this game basically.

I have two issues with this:

(1) The principle of it

(2) The hassle factor and dealing with all this crap when I just want to flip on the TV and watch a game.

I'm going to have to think about this, but I'm strongly leaning towards not doing it. I find the whole thing irritating and petty. I realize the trend is moving in the direction of cord-cutting and just going completely to streaming, but we're not completely there yet, and the NFL fanbase certainly isn't. I think it's lame.
Should have specified this.  Its $30 for the year.  We got it because of some if the kids movies.

We dont have cable so, really isnt a hassle

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 13, 2024, 07:27:38 AMShould have specified this.  Its $30 for the year.  We got it because of some if the kids movies.

We dont have cable so, really isnt a hassle

Yeah for those who have cut the cord and have other uses for Peacock, then it's all good.

I think they're offering the game as a one-off purchase (ie no sign-up required). Not positive about that but I'm fairly sure. I'll probably end up doing that, lame as it is. I don't really feel like going to a bar tonight either.

There are also various bootleg options, depending on how one feels about that.

BlueMoshik

"Growing the game" has always meant one thing for Goodell: enriching the owners. That's who he works for. This deal enriches them, period. That's all that matters here.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: BlueMoshik on January 13, 2024, 08:05:25 AM"Growing the game" has always meant one thing for Goodell: enriching the owners. That's who he works for. This deal enriches them, period. That's all that matters here.

Just to play devils' advocate for a moment, isn't that kind of the idea with any for-profit business in a capitalistic society?

BluesCruz

Quote from: Bob In PA on January 12, 2024, 04:04:44 PMNot a Taylor Swift fan anyway....  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))

Yeah what is the deal with her?

Not very good looking and zero memorable tunes
PR job
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"