News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Giants Should Hire Dennard Wilson To Replace Wink Martindale

Started by brownelvis54, January 13, 2024, 02:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownelvis54

Whoever the Giants pick as defensive coordinator. When interviewing the next defensive coordinator, one of the questions should be "How would you use a player like Isiah Simmons?"

Did The Philadelphia Eagles Make a Mistake By Letting Dennard Wilson Go?

Under Wilson, the Eagles secondary thrived, with many players including C.J. Gardner-Johnson, Avonte Maddox and Marcus Epps playing the best football of their careers. However, he was passed up for the job and while it was reported that he would be fine staying in his current position, he was fired.

Now, Wilson serves as the defensive backs coach for the Baltimore Ravens. Last season, Philadelphia had the top defense in terms of passing yards allowed per game while Baltimore sat at 28th in the NFL. This year, with Wilson switching teams, the Ravens passing defense has jumped up to fourth in the same stat as the Eagles dropped to 23rd.

https://www.si.com/nfl/eagles/news/philadelphia-eagles-make-mistake-letting-dennard-wilson-go

The KING is in the building

brownelvis54

The thing I didn't like about Wink was. Kayvon Thibodeaux was having an amazing season then stopped getting sacks because he was continually being dropped into coverage. I hope the next DC uses him better.

sooners56

Seems like a good enough hire to me for the benefit of the secondary! However, like Elvis mentioned what would the hire mean for Kayvon and the rest of the pass rush?
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

brownelvis54

Quote from: sooners56 on January 13, 2024, 04:13:58 PMSeems like a good enough hire to me for the benefit of the secondary! However, like Elvis mentioned what would the hire mean for Kayvon and the rest of the pass rush?

Here is an article saying he would possibly boost Banks and the rest of our secondary.

Background on Giants DC Candidate Dennard Wilson Includes Super Bowl Accolade

After Wilson's interview was announced, SNY's Connor Hughes spoke highly of him from an earlier stop in their careers.

"Covered Dennard when he was with the [New York] Jets," Hughes stated. "Viewed then as a future star. [Former Jets DC] Gregg Williams actually kept him on his staff after New York fired [Todd] Bowles. Very intelligent, motivator."

Wilson joined the Ravens in 2023 — his 12th season as an NFL coach.

According to his bio, Wilson has "played an important role in the development of several standout NFL DBs, including Jamal Adams, James Bradberry, Marcus Maye and Darius Slay." He started out with the Chicago Bears after high school and collegiate stints, then spent time with the St. Louis and Los Angeles Rams, Jets and Eagles.

Wilson has mostly served as a pro scout (Bears), defensive passing game coordinator and defensive backs coach throughout his pro football career. His greatest coaching achievement may have been mentoring "the NFL's No. 1 pass defense (179.8 ypg), en route to a Super Bowl LVII appearance in 2022" with the Eagles.

If hired, Wilson would be learning on the job as a first-time coordinator. Having said that, his expertise in the secondary could help younger starters like Deonte Banks, Jason Pinnock and Xavier McKinney (if re-signed) take their game to the next level.

https://heavy.com/sports/new-york-giants/defensive-coordinator-news-dennard-wilson-ravens/

Ed Vette

So you don't think Wink leaving Baltimore had anything to do with their improved Secondary?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

AZGiantFan

Philly's pass defense went from 1st in 2022 to 31st in 2023.

Raven's pass defense went from 23rd in 2022 to 6th in 2023.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

brownelvis54

Quote from: Ed Vette on January 13, 2024, 06:08:51 PMSo you don't think Wink leaving Baltimore had anything to do with their improved Secondary?

Hard to say, but the NFL is always evolving, always chipping away at players and coaches style. Wink has been in the NFL for a very very long time and there's tons of tape. Perhaps this modern NFL has figured him out again I think it's time that this old franchise embraces a modern approach. I love to see an infusion of Young and stop bringing these retreads.

Philosophers

Seems to me we need to figure out the defense we want to run given the players we have and not hire someone in which 50% of the starters don't fitbhis scheme.

I want someone who can utilize what we have.

4 Aces

I think they have to stick with a 3-4. Not sure what Dennard prefers there, but when your front 7 features a Hall of Fame-calibre NT, a #5 pick at OLB and an ILB playing out of his tree, moving away from that is highly risky.

That's why Bowen is an interesting choice - he's a 34 guy who's gotten tremendous production out of Simmons inside and some excellent NT play whoever's been in there. And he attacks with his 34 OLBs in a more traditional way than Martindale, which would cut Thibs & Ojulari looses a bit more. And he preaches overall physicality as all the Titans coaches did.

A major reason they cut Adoree Jackson loose? He was soft. Milked injuries, didn't tackle well. For a guy that doesn't stick his nose in to ALSO be injured all the time is unacceptable. 

TDToomer

Quote from: AZGiantFan on January 13, 2024, 07:07:32 PMPhilly's pass defense went from 1st in 2022 to 31st in 2023.

Raven's pass defense went from 23rd in 2022 to 6th in 2023.

But Wink had nothing to do with either of those Raven teams.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

AZGiantFan

Quote from: TDToomer on January 14, 2024, 12:00:27 PMBut Wink had nothing to do with either of those Raven teams.

But Dennard Wilson did, and he is who this thread is about.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll