News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

WR or TE at pick 6

Started by sooners56, January 14, 2024, 03:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

At pick 6,  both in their prime. Who do you pick?

Odell Beckham Jr
9 (39.1%)
Travis Kelce
14 (60.9%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: January 17, 2024, 03:12:36 PM

sooners56

The Giants have the 6th pick in this years draft. Let's say all QBs are gone and no other offensive or defensive player can be drafted at pick 6. Which player do you draft at pick 6?  I ask because Malik Nabers and Brock Bowers could be options at 6 and imo, are favorable to the players mentioned. Which one would offer the best ROI for the Giants as they are now?
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

Giant Obsession

This draft. .. 1st optiontrade up and pick Harrison.

This team is screaming for a difference maker and i.m.o. Harrison is a better (much) guarantee than any QB I have seen.

I realize this won't be a popular opinion BUT I have NO faith in our current front office or Daboll to judge talent.

2nd option.... trade out of the first round shrewdly, collect a bunch of picks and pray.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

madbadger

I'd prefer Rome Odunze or Keon Coleman to either of those guys. If there isn't a quarterback we love available at 6 I'd see if we could drop a couple spots and pick up additional picks.

Philosophers

I think there are much less top shelf TEs in this draft than there are WRs.  You can draft Bowers at 6 and still get a top X WR in the 2nd round.  Xavier Leggette or Tony Franklin could be available.

madbadger

Quote from: Philosophers on January 14, 2024, 03:36:14 PMI think there are much less top shelf TEs in this draft than there are WRs.  You can draft Bowers at 6 and still get a top X WR in the 2nd round.  Xavier Leggette or Tony Franklin could be available.

What's the value of a pass catching tight end versus a true X receiver in the modern NFL? If you can get an elite X receiver you really have to take him and I think this draft has four of them.

TDToomer

What's with all the silly meaningless polls?
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

londonblue

Based on my early looks at the top players I think Bowers and Odunze fit us better (will block in run game, physical players) than Harrison or Nabers IMO. I'd be happy with either at 6 or a small trade back, pending more tape watching.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Doc16LT56

Nabers and it's not close.

As for the hypothetical, if we're talking about 2014-2016 OBJ and not factoring in off-field, then I'm taking OBJ over any TE ever. Imagine if the Giants passed on OBJ in the draft and he somehow made it to the Saints that year. Working with a prime Drew Brees he would've rewritten the record books.

LennG

What good is having a great TE or WR if we have no one to throw them the ball?

No QB available, move the hell up and get one, or else we are damned with Jones, and mediocrity, forever.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

madbadger

Quote from: LennG on January 14, 2024, 03:51:06 PMWhat good is having a great TE or WR if we have no one to throw them the ball?

No QB available, move the hell up and get one, or else we are damned with Jones, and mediocrity, forever.

Therein lies the rub. If the board plays out like everyone thinks the top 3 quarterbacks will be gone before we're on the board. There are bound to be a couple promising guys who will drop to the late first, early second. Nix, McCarthy and Penix Jr are guys that come to mind. If Dabs is the quarterback whisperer we all think he is grab one and develop him. Jones is likely gonna be the starter next year just based on his cap hit alone. 

sooners56

Quote from: TDToomer on January 14, 2024, 03:43:38 PMWhat's with all the silly meaningless polls?

This is a Giants board where we discuss Giants topics. The Giants are not in the playoffs so the draft is my topic of interest. I am just trying to gauge the fans thoughts on value of elite WR vs Elite Te. The Giants will be in a spot to grab the Elite WR or elite TE.

TDToomer

Quote from: sooners56 on January 14, 2024, 04:43:44 PMThis is a Giants board where we discuss Giants topics. The Giants are not in the playoffs so the draft is my topic of interest. I am just trying to gauge the fans thoughts on value of elite WR vs Elite Te. The Giants will be in a spot to grab the Elite WR or elite TE.

How does asking people to vote between two players who were drafted 10+ years ago, weren't even in the same draft class, relative to our 2024 draft?
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

MagicRat

Smell my cheese you mother!

sooners56

Quote from: TDToomer on January 14, 2024, 04:51:16 PMHow does asking people to vote between two players who were drafted 10+ years ago, weren't even in the same draft class, relative to our 2024 draft?

You may just want to skip over this post and find a post more to your liking. But anyways, I thought it was obvious but I guess not. OBJ and Kelce are known commodities which is why I used them as examples. I feel like Nabers is an OBJ clone and Bowers is a Kelce clone.

Philosophers

Quote from: madbadger on January 14, 2024, 03:41:27 PMWhat's the value of a pass catching tight end versus a true X receiver in the modern NFL? If you can get an elite X receiver you really have to take him and I think this draft has four of them.

Ask Mahommes that question as their TE seems to work wonders for that offense.

I think it is another great option for a QB.  There are always more options than what we think when we look at the draft.