News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The truth behind Brian Daboll, Wink Martindale, Mike Kafka and the Giants’ drama

Started by shadowspinner0, January 15, 2024, 02:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueMoshik

Schoen and Daboll are tied at the hip.

The problem, going back many years, and it was also the case in the 1970s when Wellington Mara ran the show, is that the franchise is too cavalier, and dumb, in its major hiring decisions. These are the people who hired Ben McAdoo, Dave Gettleman, Pat Shurmur, and Joe Judge, to the most important positions on the team. Judge and Daboll were both hired because John Mara gets his recommendations from Bill Belichik, who has a horrible coaching tree and doesn't have the Giants' best interests at heart. Two years ago they decided that the Bills, a decent team that still hasn't won anything, was the team to emulate. There is a deep rot in the Giants' franchise and I don't even think Daboll is the main problem right now.   

BluesCruz

Quote from: AYM on January 16, 2024, 07:27:07 AMWho says the support is coming from Schoen? Mara probably doesn't want to fire a guy after just 2 years again.

If all of these things are actually true, though, fire everybody and start over. It's not as if there's a lot here to salvage.

When it comes to players we have a good core
Ownership- not good
Coaching- not the best
GM- lots of wood to chop

as long as they dont bring in a soft DC, and Jones has a short leash we should be ok
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Woody

If this article is true..... than there are serious problems with Daboll. that is not the sign of a leader...
he thoughts of what was happening  might have been genuine ...but to be discussed in a different time and place for sure....and in a different tone and manner.
not good for future and Shoene needs to be honest with himself and address this issue immediately.

BluesCruz

well Schoen brought the guy in
he must then admit his poor judgement

there is an old saying "absolute power corrupts absolutely"

Maybe Daboll's HC status went to his head. He just could not handle
his powers gracefully

Ed Vette

If true, it shows that Daboll like his QB Daniel Jones, cracks under pressure. Bringing Down all around them.

Interesting though how the Franchise narrative painted a completely different picture in their indirect way. Let's see how Schoen handles his next press conference.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

What I find interesting is that neither side's version of events conflict with the other.   It's almost like a late Festivus with the airing of the greviences. 

I can't help but NYG asked for this scathing article by unloading on Wink like they did.   If NYG was smart they wouldn't have gone after Wink.  They should have just let the matter die.  Instead they decided to take one last swipe at Wink and this unfortunate article was the natural and expected consequence.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Brooklyn Dave

Maybe this was said already, if so , sorry for the redundancy.

I remember there was an issue with Tom Coughlin and I believe Mara sat him down and told him that he had to change, which he did and became in my opinion, aHOF coach.

Hopefully Mara will do the same with Daboll and the results will change .

MightyGiants

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on January 16, 2024, 10:32:31 AMMaybe this was said already, if so , sorry for the redundancy.

I remember there was an issue with Tom Coughlin and I believe Mara sat him down and told him that he had to change, which he did and became in my opinion, aHOF coach.

I think we all hope this happens.  However, I will say this: leopards changing their spots is pretty rare.   As Giants fans, we were lucky enough to witness Tom making a major adjustment in the way he conducted himself.  Outside of Coughlin I can't think of another coach who changed that drastically.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

babywhales

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on January 16, 2024, 10:32:31 AMMaybe this was said already, if so , sorry for the redundancy.

Players felt he was inaccessible. He claimed his door was always open, but ultimately was convinced his business 24/7 approach was intimidating to the majority and he had to make himself more accessible.

Being verbally abusive is a bit of a different issue, hopefully he can right the ship

Or we are in a 1 year away from our next coach
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

coggs

I will be honest and say I think the article is 100% true.  I for one do not care about his "management style", I care about results.  But what this article alludes to is not a difference in management style with which Wink did not want to deal.  It is outright lunacy.  I would not be surprised if he is still here only because Mara is concerned with the optic of firing a 3rd coach after 2 years.  I would not be surprised if this does cause Mara to reconsider.

coggs

Quote from: babywhales on January 16, 2024, 12:29:06 PMPlayers felt he was inaccessible. He claimed his door was always open, but ultimately was convinced his business 24/7 approach was intimidating to the majority and he had to make himself more accessible.

Being verbally abusive is a bit of a different issue, hopefully he can right the ship

Strahan talked about in his book.  Talked about how he snapped at Coughlin during either the 2006 or 2007 season (I forget).  Basically told him he was losing the team after he was fined for some nonsensical reason.

MightyGiants

Quote from: babywhales on January 16, 2024, 12:29:06 PMPlayers felt he was inaccessible. He claimed his door was always open, but ultimately was convinced his business 24/7 approach was intimidating to the majority and he had to make himself more accessible.

Chris,

I think it's worse than just being verbally abusive.  If this story is correct, Dadoll treated Kafka poorly.  How on earth can you do your job with the coach constantly pulling your play-calling duties?   What sort of crappy ass boss does the finger-pointing and blaming assistant coaches for losses?  Especially the Jets game. The Giants defense held the Jets to 13 points.  No rational person would blame a defense that keeps an NFL team in check and only allows them to score less than two touchdowns.   To me, that indicates a serious accountability issue with our head coach, both with himself and how he holds his coaches accountable.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

BluesCruz

This reminds me of Fermi's Paradox

If he cannot reason correctly, or put together a winning team, and is abusive to subortinates

Why is he still HC.  If Schoen really listened in for 4 games, he must be painfully aware of the discordance and abusive behavior.

Mark my words- Schoen will go down with the ship next year unless drastic changes are made

The paradox is the players do seem to like Daboll.  They never quit on him
How is this possible.  Can both things be true- Coaches hate him and players like him?  I do remember him unloading on Jones, but I'd like to unload on Jones LOL  Throw the damm ball down the field will'ya?

Giant Obsession

Let's make this easy.

Say Daboll was HC of the Saints the last 2 years with the same results he achieved with the Giants.  Everything exactly the same.

Daboll's contract has expired and the Giants have an opening and are interviewing for HC.

Would you as owner of the Giants consider him for the position of your HC ??
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon