News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

3 Biggest Free Agent Decisions for Giants'

Started by brownelvis54, January 16, 2024, 05:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownelvis54

For me its five decisions for FA

1- Can the Giants Bring Back Saquon Barkley?

2-Do the Giants Invest in Isaiah Simmons Long-Term?

3-Do the Giants Pursue a Top Receiver in Free Agency?

4-What to do with Darren Waller

5-Who can we afford to add on the O-line? And should it be a RT or Guard?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10105016-3-biggest-free-agent-decisions-for-giants-gm-and-coach-in-2024-nfl-offseason

The KING is in the building

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: brownelvis54 on January 16, 2024, 05:51:12 PMFor me its five decisions for FA

3-Do the Jets Pursue a Top Receiver in Free Agency?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10105016-3-biggest-free-agent-decisions-for-giants-gm-and-coach-in-2024-nfl-offseason

How did The Jets come into the picture ?

Jolly Blue Giant

My own opinion on this:

1) make up with McKinney and sign him long term...this is a MUST in my opinion
2) low-ball Saquon...take it or leave it...paying him top RB money isn't a wise allocation of limited resources
3) make a low-ball offer to Adoree and see what it takes to move the needle
4) offer Pinnock an extended contract while he's still affordable
5) sit back and watch what Schoen does. Last year, I wanted LB Tremaine Edmunds sooooo bad. Then Schoen got Okereke and I was disappointed and said, "whoooo??" Bottom line, Schoen will make a better decision than anything I can come up with...I'll wait and be surprised, hopefully in a good way
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on January 16, 2024, 06:16:03 PMHow did The Jets come into the picture ?

I'm sure it was a typo and it refers to the Giants.

I'll take a crack at these:

1. "Can" the Giants bring back Barkley? Sure. SHOULD they? Not in my opinion. I think he is declining and injury prone, and it's just time to move on. I'm just not a believer in second RB contracts in the modern NFL. They are almost never a good investment. Especially with someone as injury prone as Saquon.

2. Assuming the price point is reasonable, I would be in favor of bringing Simmons back. I think there is some talent there, and I'd like to let our new DC have a crack at him.

3. Do the GIANTS pursue a top receiver in free agency? I doubt it. Free agent receivers cost a bundle, and with Jones' cap hit we're not exactly swimming in cash. I think we need to build at that position through the draft. I also am reluctant to throw major bank at a top FA receiver until we feel very comfortable with our QB situation. Right now, we are incredible far from that.

4. As I said in another thread, I'm pretty indifferent on Waller. Gun to my head I'd cut him and put the 6-odd mil towards the O line, but I'm not particularly bothered either way.

5. Hard to say right now. I don't know what our cap situation is going to be. Need to know what the plans are with Barkley, McKinney, Waller, etc. One thing I'll say is I'd rather sign one quality free agent O lineman than 2-3 crappy ones like we have done in the past. So if there is one available who isn't too old but is on the pricier side, I'd be inclined to go for him and forget about picking up these spare part cast-off types. Moving on from Barkley and Waller will help free up cash to do this. I certainly think we need to address the O line in the draft, too.

Painter

Quote from: brownelvis54 on January 16, 2024, 05:51:12 PMFor me its five decisions for FA

3-Do the Jets Pursue a Top Receiver in Free Agency?

1.They can but I don't think they will nor should they. Even at his best, you can't say that Saquon has made an essentially poor team measurably better or any sort of winner. Some may blame it all on the accompanying QB play. But even if you buy that, it would be an especially bad time to risk making another questionable investment, ne c'est pas?

2. I anticipate that they will make a strong effort to re-sign Simmons who seemed to be fitting in and doing well at key time and place. For how much and for how long will be up to Joe Schoen and perhaps to the new (who) DC.

3. I expect them to draft a WR possibly with their 6th overall but not look for one in FA.

4. I don't have a strong opinion re Waller's future but I'd be more surprised than not if there is much of a change.

5. They not only can but they must afford to add an OG in FA such as:  Andrus Peat, Robert Hunt, Kevin Zeitler, or Connor Williams. Hell! make it 2. Otherwise, make sure it also gets priority in the Draft. And while I'd be fine with a top pick OT like Alt or Fashanu in the Draft, it seems unlikely to happen if as Schoen says- they are keeping Neal at RT and not moving him inside.

Cheers!

Stringer Bell

3-Do the Giants Pursue a Top Receiver in Free Agency?

1 - Giants should let Saquon walk. Time to move on from the oft-injured RB looking for top dollar when he's not worth it.

2 - I like Simmons for the limited role he plays. Too many fans calling for him to be playing a lot more snaps, but that's not who he is. If the next DC sees him for what he is - a situational player - and uses him accordingly (and the team pays him accordingly), I'd like to see it.

3 - No chance. Too expensive for a team with little FA $. I'm warming on the idea of Nabers at #6. Feels a little too high, but might be their only chance at a potential #1 WR.

4 - Easy cut. He's a luxury for a team with so little talent and so many holes. Use that money on a healthy OL.

5 - I don't have a preference on OG or RT, just so long as they get someone on the right side of 30, who has been consistently healthy, and has a bit of a mean streak.

TDToomer

How is Simmons projected to get $16 million annually when he doesn't even start on a crappy defense?
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Bigmoose

Regarding Barkley, don't overlook his supportive comments about Wink concerning his leaving the Giants  https://www.usatoday.com/videos/sports/sports-seriously/2024/01/10/saquon-barkley-addresses-wink-martindale-leaving-the-giants/72176002007/. If I were the GM, I would not appreciate his making this public.

brownelvis54

Quote from: Bigmoose on January 16, 2024, 11:29:01 PMRegarding Barkley, don't overlook his supportive comments about Wink concerning his leaving the Giants  https://www.usatoday.com/videos/sports/sports-seriously/2024/01/10/saquon-barkley-addresses-wink-martindale-leaving-the-giants/72176002007/. If I were the GM, I would not appreciate his making this public.

It didnt seem too bad to me
The KING is in the building

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bigmoose on January 16, 2024, 11:29:01 PMRegarding Barkley, don't overlook his supportive comments about Wink concerning his leaving the Giants  https://www.usatoday.com/videos/sports/sports-seriously/2024/01/10/saquon-barkley-addresses-wink-martindale-leaving-the-giants/72176002007/. If I were the GM, I would not appreciate his making this public.
Saquon sparked a thought. Wink may see himself as someone who should be a HC or as a HC. I think he also may have been given the impression that he's in charge of the Defense and Dabs, the Offense as I said in another thread.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

Does Xavier McKinney's status deserve to be on this list?

ozzie

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on January 16, 2024, 06:21:59 PMMy own opinion on this:

1) make up with McKinney and sign him long term...this is a MUST in my opinion
2) low-ball Saquon...take it or leave it...paying him top RB money isn't a wise allocation of limited resources
3) make a low-ball offer to Adoree and see what it takes to move the needle
4) offer Pinnock an extended contract while he's still affordable
5) sit back and watch what Schoen does. Last year, I wanted LB Tremaine Edmunds sooooo bad. Then Schoen got Okereke and I was disappointed and said, "whoooo??" Bottom line, Schoen will make a better decision than anything I can come up with...I'll wait and be surprised, hopefully in a good way
I agree with all these points (Great minds think alike after all  ;))
I would also add agreement with the OP and sign Mckinney & Simmons to multi-year deals .
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara