News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Your 2023 NFL announcer rankings

Started by LennG, January 16, 2024, 08:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

Since we rank everything else, why not announce duos (and trios)? I can believe most of us here find something wrong with most of the announcers on TV. Sure some are better than others, some just talk to hear themselves talk and still some are quite effective in making a game watch a lot more informative and pleasurable.

Take a look at this list and see if you agree.

https://awfulannouncing.com/orig/2023-nfl-announcer-rankings.html

I'm glad Romo and company are slipping. He really wears on one's ear drums after a while. His gimmick was cute for a while, but now, he talks non stop and says less and less.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

Two comments:

(1) I think Vilma is vastly underrated. I think he's among the two or three best NFL color guys right now. I always find his broadcasts to be sharp and insightful.

(2) I don't see Noah Eagle anywhere in this list. He's very young and just getting started, but IMHO he is a total natural. I see him as potentially having an Al Michaels, Brett Musburger caliber career. He's very smooth and just has a knack for it.

TDToomer

I think it is insanity that Greg Olsen is getting bumped for untested Brady. Olsen is the best color commentator in the NFL.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

spiderblue43

Quote from: TDToomer on January 16, 2024, 09:35:45 PMI think it is insanity that Greg Olsen is getting bumped for untested Brady. Olsen is the best color commentator in the NFL.

Absolutely. He's a good listen everytime. Second banana at Fox is an insult. He's better than Aikman (still good) or Romo, who acts like a kid with a sugar high.

DaveBrown74

I think that's correct on Olsen although it's tricky for Fox to sign Brady and give him anything other than the main job. One could argue they shouldn't have hired him at all, but I think they determined having their brand tied to his is worth the investment.

We'll see how Brady even is as a color guy. It's possible he's a complete bust. If he is, he won't be there for long (at least not in that capacity).

PSUBeirut

I have no idea how Cris Collinsworth is that high.  Everyone I've ever talked to hates the guy.  Doesn't even matter if he has good insight- just his voice/reactions are so irritating.

ozzie

I think Burkhart & Olsen should be higher along with Rich Eisen & Warner. I don't like listening to Nantz & Romo at all.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

DaveBrown74

Romo is a love or hate guy. Most people I know fall into one of those two categories. People who like him note his expert level of understanding of the finer points of the game and strategy, and they also find his delivery to be like "talking to a friend in a bar."

Detractors think he's basically a spazz and can't take all the yelling and constant hyperbole and talking a mile a minute.

I'm probably a bit more in the latter camp. I like sports telecasters who speak smoothly and save the emotional stuff for when it's really warranted. Romo's bar to go crazy is a bit low in my opinion. With that said, there is no doubt he is an absolute authority as far as understanding the X's and O's and all the finer points of the sport. I almost always learn something new when he's on the air.