News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

38 Science-Backed Tricks to Sharpen Your Memory

Started by MightyGiants, January 23, 2024, 08:29:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 23, 2024, 08:29:53 AMhttps://www.prevention.com/health/sleep-energy/g23538015/how-to-improve-memory/

Interesting.

Most of this is just sound health advice in general, so if you do all these things and actually stick to them long term you're going to be healthier overall, even if your memory doesn't change much.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 23, 2024, 08:43:12 AMInteresting.

Most of this is just sound health advice in general, so if you do all these things and actually stick to them long term you're going to be healthier overall, even if your memory doesn't change much.

Jeff,

I think it's a given that a healthy body tends to lead to a healthier mind. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

It's sort of interesting.  I was speaking to my brothers (I am 60, and my two brothers are 59 and 55) about our 85-year-old father's mental decline.  They both say they feel at their current ages, they have cognitive decline.  I thought that was odd.  At 60, I might be slightly slower than, say, my 30s, but I don't think it's all that significant, and I feel wisdom increases have balanced things out.  Although I do think I might do a few things that help me compare to my brothers:

1)  As I got older, I reduced my drinking (currently, I am down to occasional light social drinking), while they both seem to be still drinking like they did when they were younger

2) I think I probably do the most in terms of taking care of myself (exercise, diet, etc)

3) I do the four brain games (Wordle, Waffle X2, and Connections) daily.

4) Both my brothers work from home, while I still go into the office and have daily in-person work interactions

Now, I am not precluding the possibility that they are being more realistic about their cognitive declines, but I can't help but feel that maybe I am taking better care of my brain.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Rich,

I absolutely agree there are things we can do throughout our lives to decrease the odds of dementia or to at least lessen or slow the pace of cognitive decline in later years, and it is a good idea to do those things. You have aptly pointed out some examples in your last post, and the article you shared did as well.

However, as with a lot of diseases that you can lessen the odds of through lifestyle management, I am sure you would agree that there exists a significant luck factor as well. As an example, genetics play a role in Alzheimer's and other dementia. There is not much you can do the genetic hand you have been dealt. You can be a couch potato who stays home and eats three cans of Pringles a day and spends 30 hours a week watching soap operas and still have a good outcome on the cognitive front, and you can be a highly social, 165 IQ nuclear physicist who is fit as a fiddle and sleeps peacefully for 8.5 hours a night and still develop Alzheimer's in your 50s. My Mother happens to have Alzheimer's, and I can assure you that throughout her life, she was the exact opposite of lazy both physically and intellectually.

Nothing I have written negates the points you are making in any way, nor was it intended to. I am all but certain you agree with all of it. And it is absolutely a great idea to do all that one can to mitigate risks of various diseases and cognitive decline. But I think it's just worth noting that, unfortunately, life can be pretty cruel sometimes. Individuals who take excellent care of themselves and avoid risky behavior often get stricken with very, very tough outcomes on the health front, including well before very old age. It sucks, but it's reality.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 23, 2024, 12:34:22 PMRich,

I absolutely agree there are things we can do throughout our lives to decrease the odds of dementia or to at least lessen or slow the pace of cognitive decline in later years, and it is a good idea to do those things. You have aptly pointed out some examples in your last post, and the article you shared did as well.

However, as with a lot of diseases that you can lessen the odds of through lifestyle management, I am sure you would agree that there exists a significant luck factor as well. As an example, genetics play a role in Alzheimer's and other dementia. There is not much you can do the genetic hand you have been dealt. You can be a couch potato who stays home and eats three cans of Pringles a day and spends 30 hours a week watching soap operas and still have a good outcome on the cognitive front, and you can be a highly social, 165 IQ nuclear physicist who is fit as a fiddle and sleeps peacefully for 8.5 hours a night and still develop Alzheimer's in your 50s. My Mother happens to have Alzheimer's, and I can assure you that throughout her life, she was the exact opposite of lazy both physically and intellectually.

Nothing I have written negates the points you are making in any way, nor was it intended to. I am all but certain you agree with all of it. And it is absolutely a great idea to do all that one can to mitigate risks of various diseases and cognitive decline. But I think it's just worth noting that, unfortunately, life can be pretty cruel sometimes. Individuals who take excellent care of themselves and avoid risky behavior often get stricken with very, very tough outcomes on the health front, including well before very old age. It sucks, but it's reality.

I am sorry to hear about your mom, that is a very tough disease to deal with for all involved. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

Dave

Sorry to hear about your Mom. But I can fully sympathize with you in that I lost my Mom, many years ago to Alzheimer's. I absolutely know what you are going thru and seriously, if you need someone to talk to about anything, I'll be there.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 23, 2024, 03:45:52 PMI am sorry to hear about your mom, that is a very tough disease to deal with for all involved. 

Really appreciate that Rich. Thank you for the kind words.

It has been going on for some time so my family has grown accustomed to it, but I nonetheless appreciate the kindness.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: LennG on January 23, 2024, 08:05:48 PMDave

Sorry to hear about your Mom. But I can fully sympathize with you in that I lost my Mom, many years ago to Alzheimer's. I absolutely know what you are going thru and seriously, if you need someone to talk to about anything, I'll be there.

Lenn,

I am so sorry to hear about your Mom. Obviously I can empathize with what you and your family surely went through, but since I have not yet actually lost my Mom I realize I don't fully know what you went through. I really appreciate your sympathy and your generous offer. I'll keep you guys updated. I'm not one to constantly post about my own situation, but when it comes to Mothers, I think we can all agree it's pretty poignant stuff, and I'll just leave it at that. I think we all get it.

Thank you both very much. Means a lot.

MightyGiants

A couple of things related to the original topic.  I went to the brain game site they mentioned.  Here is a free sample of their games.  They are pretty tough

https://www.brainhq.com/?v4=true&fr=y#subscribe/browse

Also, my father, who is clearly in decline in both cognitive and memory, is always complaining about his ailing memory.  I sent him the link because I thought there was some good science back suggestions.  This was his reply.

QuoteThank you Richard.  But I already get several monthly health letters, which include recommendations to improve memory.

I wanted to point out that if those newsletters (which I wonder who is sending them and if they are legit sources) are doing just a great job, why is your memory so bad (He is a bit funny, and he is obsessive about taking care of himself physically but he totally neglects his brain).   He recently lost his wife (back around Thanksgiving), so I am calling him frequently (as well as visiting when I can).   I suggest things like less TV (he spends most of his day watching FOX News, which works him up), which was on the list.  I am trying to get him to socialize more, which is also on the list.  I am also pushing him to take up hobbies, do puzzles, or learn new things that challenge the brain (again on the list).  The funny thing is it's not like he doesn't listen to other people he knows.  He just has a bad habit of listening to people who are not that smart or are unqualified to offer him advice.  Our family feels like he has a tendency to seek out sources that tell him what he wants to hear rather than what he needs to hear.

I guess that is just the frustrating thing with elderly parents; they will do what they want to do regardless if it's the smart thing to do.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

I played some of the brain challenges yesterday, and I felt I struggled a little.  I went back today and played the same games and got much better scores.   Maybe there is some benefit of challenging your brain's processing speed.

Maybe I should send the link to Daniel Jones  :D
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 25, 2024, 12:01:15 PMI played some of the brain challenges yesterday, and I felt I struggled a little.  I went back today and played the same games and got much better scores.   Maybe there is some benefit of challenging your brain's processing speed.

Maybe I should send the link to Daniel Jones  :D

:funnypost: