News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Another Giants DC interview request blocked

Started by MightyGiants, January 30, 2024, 08:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trench

T200

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on February 01, 2024, 06:54:19 AMWhat a terrible job by Schoen. Read Bobby DePaul's post about Dennard Wilson above and tell me that Schoen was not asleep at the wheel. He interviewed him twice , what the hell was he waiting for ?
Either you trust the GM or you don't. None of us are privy to how the interview went. There's more than just a nice resume that plays a part in hiring someone. Rich and I had a discussion earlier in this thread about styles and chemistry not just for players, but coaches as well.

Remember: Martindale was/is highly regarded around the league and the majority of us applauded the hire when it happened.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on February 01, 2024, 08:07:51 AMEither you trust the GM or you don't. None of us are privy to how the interview went. There's more than just a nice resume that plays a part in hiring someone. Rich and I had a discussion earlier in this thread about styles and chemistry not just for players, but coaches as well.

Remember: Martindale was/is highly regarded around the league and the majority of us applauded the hire when it happened.

The really good DCs are what they are.  If you miss out of them because you can't work with them, that is a deteriment to the team.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 01, 2024, 09:10:54 AMThe really good DCs are what they are.  If you miss out of them because you can't work with them, that is a deteriment to the team.
That's one perspective, not the only one.

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on February 01, 2024, 09:13:39 AMThat's one perspective, not the only one.

That is the perspective of one who spent his entire adult life in management in a variety of settings.  Good managers recognize value and find a way to work with people, they don't toss out value to find someone that is easier to work with.  In my professional experience, some of the smartest and most valuable people can be difficult.   You strive to surround ones self with the best people, not the people who are easiest to work with.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 01, 2024, 09:18:37 AMThat is the perspective of one who spent his entire adult life in management in a variety of settings.  Good managers recognize value and find a way to work with people, they don't toss out value to find someone that is easier to work with.  In my professional experience, some of the smartest and most valuable people can be difficult.   You strive to surround ones self with the best people, not the people who are easiest to work with.
Rich,

I definitely respect your experience and view. As I said, it's not the only one. You have vast experience in healthcare. I have over 26 years in the military and many more working within the Department of Defense. I've worked with people from all over the country and all over the world. I happen to like my perspective on things as well. That's not to suggest I'm all-knowing or know more than you do, but I do have a great deal of experience in working with a wide variety of personalities.

As I'm sure you know all too well, the sum of the whole is greater than its parts. I'll be more than happy if Schoen/Daboll bring in a DC who may not have the accolades of some of the well-known guys but can get his guys to perform collectively better than they have in the past 5-10 years.

I've worked with folks in the military who were extremely book smart and tested well to get promoted. But when it was time to actually perform the job, they were lost. I want someone who can get the job done. A welcoming personality is a bonus, not a requirement, for me.

Daboll's prickliness will only be tolerated if he can build a consistent winner.