News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Another one saying this is a three round draft

Started by MightyGiants, February 05, 2024, 01:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

The NIL Money started from 660K. A 5th-round pick can earn 750K to 1.2mm over his contract. When you start getting into the big names, McCarthy made 1.3, Ewers, 1.5, Arch Manning 2.8 and Sanders topped out at 4 Million. If a player believes another year will be a long-term investment, then I can see a decision to stay if they can make close to a million in College and they think that extra season will move them up in the draft. But realistically, a third-round pick like Jalin Hyatt averages 1.4 million. I don't know if this was a driving reason for the weak bottom of the draft. Does the residual Covid effect still have a carryover? Perhas a combination of both.

https://www.stadiumtalk.com/s/college-football-players-who-make-the-most-nil-money-9a6b1c8fd69844a2
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 05, 2024, 01:39:21 PMThe NIL Money started from 660K. A 5th-round pick can earn 750K to 1.2mm over his contract. When you start getting into the big names, McCarthy made 1.3, Ewers, 1.5, Arch Manning 2.8 and Sanders topped out at 4 Million. If a player believes another year will be a long-term investment, then I can see a decision to stay if they can make close to a million in College and they think that extra season will move them up in the draft. But realistically, a third-round pick like Jalin Hyatt averages 1.4 million. I don't know if this was a driving reason for the weak bottom of the draft. Does the residual Covid effect still have a carryover? Perhas a combination of both.

https://www.stadiumtalk.com/s/college-football-players-who-make-the-most-nil-money-9a6b1c8fd69844a2

The NFL may regret saving money on the backs of rookies
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 05, 2024, 01:49:47 PMThe NFL may regret saving money on the backs of rookies
Shorter careers but a more mature and developed player in most cases.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

TDToomer

"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

MightyGiants

Quote from: TDToomer on February 05, 2024, 04:37:22 PMWhat exactly does this mean?

The NFL saves a fortune with the rookie salary cap.   Now they are losing years of service from players became they can make more money in college.  The talent pool was already stretched thin with 32 teams.  This just makes it worse.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

TDToomer

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 05, 2024, 05:32:18 PMThe NFL saves a fortune with the rookie salary cap.   Now they are losing years of service from players became they can make more money in college.  The talent pool was already stretched thin with 32 teams.  This just makes it worse.

Not true. The college players are more prepared and ready for the pros and still are subject to the same rookie cap. They are just delaying their big free agency payout by a year. The talent pool will catch up. Why do you want unprepared juniors declaring just because their families are broke under the old system prior to the NIL?
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

MightyGiants

Quote from: TDToomer on February 06, 2024, 08:42:56 AMNot true. The college players are more prepared and ready for the pros and still are subject to the same rookie cap. They are just delaying their big free agency payout by a year. The talent pool will catch up. Why do you want unprepared juniors declaring just because their families are broke under the old system prior to the NIL?

You are free to believe what you wish, but the top talent was leaving in 3, and now they are staying for 5 years.  That's 2 years of player's short careers that are being lost to NFL teams.  Consider a solid majority of the QBs coming out of college this draft are only a couple of years younger than Daniel Jones.  Consider the last draft. The Giants drafted RB Eric Gray, who will be turning 25 (he's only a couple of years younger than Barkley) this year.  How many years of service will the Giants get from him?

I am not going to go back and forth, but every extra year a player spends in college is one man-year the NFL talent pool loses.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

TDToomer

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 06, 2024, 08:49:36 AMYou are free to believe what you wish, but the top talent was leaving in 3, and now they are staying for 5 years.  That's 2 years of player's short careers that are being lost to NFL teams.  Consider a solid majority of the QBs coming out of college this draft are only a couple of years younger than Daniel Jones.  Consider the last draft. The Giants drafted RB Eric Gray, who will be turning 25 (he's only a couple of years younger than Barkley) this year. How many years of service will the Giants get from him?

I am not going to go back and forth, but every extra year a player spends in college is one man-year the NFL talent pool loses.

4. After that all players are evaluated for an extension and only the stars are considered for one.

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 06, 2024, 08:49:36 AMevery extra year a player spends in college is one man-year the NFL talent pool loses.
Is it lost or delayed?

I think it's a good idea for players to finish their 4 years. Many don't because they're chasing the professional dollars. If they can get money in college, they're more likely to stay and finish their degrees. This sets them up for life after football.

The extra year or two of growth, development, and maturity is only going to help the NFL product, not hurt it. That's my take on it.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on February 06, 2024, 09:02:06 AMIs it lost or delayed?

I think it's a good idea for players to finish their 4 years. Many don't because they're chasing the professional dollars. If they can get money in college, they're more likely to stay and finish their degrees. This sets them up for life after football.

The extra year or two of growth, development, and maturity is only going to help the NFL product, not hurt it. That's my take on it.

Tim,

Players in the NFL don't play to an older age because they spend more time in college.  There are only so many years a player can play football regardless if it's in college or the NFL
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 06, 2024, 09:03:27 AMTim,

Players in the NFL don't play to an older age because they spend more time in college.  There are only so many years a player can play football regardless if it's in college or the NFL
Understood, Rich. I was just saying that many of the college players who make it to the NFL will be better, thus making the NFL product better. My comment was more about delaying the talent from college to the NFL, versus losing it, as you mentioned. To me, staying in college speaks more to the quality and productivity, not longevity.

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on February 06, 2024, 09:11:00 AMUnderstood, Rich. I was just saying that many of the college players who make it to the NFL will be better, thus making the NFL product better. My comment was more about delaying the talent from college to the NFL, versus losing it, as you mentioned. To me, staying in college speaks more to the quality and productivity, not longevity.

The college game and the NFL game are significantly different.   I question how much developmental value there is for players staying 1 or 2 extra years in college.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 06, 2024, 09:14:21 AMThe college game and the NFL game are significantly different.   I question how much developmental value there is for players staying 1 or 2 extra years in college.
OK  :-??

TDToomer

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 06, 2024, 09:14:21 AMThe college game and the NFL game are significantly different.   I question how much developmental value there is for players staying 1 or 2 extra years in college.

How is this even a question? NCAA is a developmental league. Like keeping a hockey player in the AHL for an extra year instead of rushing them to the NHL. Or a baseball player spending more time in AAA.